Free Star Wars Models

Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Courtesy of Andrew Kramer and the VideoCopilot team. 

http://www.videocopilot.net/blog/2016/05/free-star-wars-model-pack/

Comments

• Did these work for you? I was able to import them but the Diffuse textures are in an unreadable .dds format. Seems like they were only meant for Element 3D.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@InScapeDigital I haven't tried 'em. I literally saw the link and shared it here. I don't get computer time until Sunday. 

However, here's a DDS file converter to convert the DDS files to JPEG or PNG. 

http://www.ddsconverter.com/

• I have no idea how to work with models, I have no idea how to render models, but I downloaded them anyways. I'm trying to collect as many free assests as I can. You have a hawk eye for these things @Triem23.

• Thanks for the link @Triem23

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator

Ditto!  Thanks @Triem23.

(or should I say Hawkeye?)

• Thanks for the link.  I am downloading them right now and will give it a try.  Also grabbed the DDS converter.  Will probably have to wait to check out the models and textures until my lunch tomorrow.

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator

One thing to note.  The DDS Converter (at least for me) would only do a few images in batch mode.  You may have to restart the converter and do maps one by one.  

•  @inScapeDigital it works with the conversion link @Triem23 provided.

Thanks for the links btw Triem

@Stargazer54 I'm sure there are other file conversion utilities for DDS to JPEG/PNG. The one I linked was merely the first one that came up after a basic Google search for DDS File Converter. :-)

Unfortunately, my internet is being annoying to the point where I'm on hold with Comcast customer service to yell at them again. I'm paying them too much money for too high a tier of service for the estimated download time of the model to be 3 days....

• Cool.  Will have to take a look at these.

While more tedious than a batch converter, you can use Blender to convert the .dds files to other formats as well.  I've done this for some Battlefront textures I needed to convert and it worked great.  Just another option in the toolbag.

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator
    edited May 2016

More great stuff from Kramer. Most of these models import very nicely into HF, although the TIE seems to have an issue. Running it through Blender and re-exporting will probably fix that, but I'll also get the devs to investigate.

Edit: there might be some lighting issues as well. We're giving it all a good poke.

• Good tipp with reexporting out of blender. I haven´t used blender for a long time, so how difficult is it? Is it just import and export into another file format, or do I have to change some settings in front? Thanks. 

• I only wish the Saber plugin for AE could work in Hitfilm :P

Hitfilm does have it's own Lightsabersword effects. :-P (Kramer "me too'd" that.  )

• These look great (err in the twitter tweet) not going to get time to load them in, but will download them. Should be good with that previous Hitfilm tutorial on X-Wing in space.

• edited May 2016

I just opened the X-wing normal maps in Gimp, something is wrong with the normal maps, they appear to be baked into an alpha channel. There are 12 layers with a transparent background and a very lite grey color. You don't see any of the familiar normal map colors of Purple, Blue, Green and Red. If you run the Diffuse maps through a Normal map generator like Xnormal, Knald, Crazy Bump, Insane Bump, or a few others... you should be able to bake new normal maps in Tangent space.

Checked out the UVs in Blender... lots of work to be done in that area so good luck.

@Filmtech the lightsaber-specific aspects of Saber are pretty identical to the lightsword effects we added back in mid-2015.

The more mograph-focused bits of VCP's Saber plugin are really nice. Getting mask shape/path support in HitFilm would be cool.

• @spydurhank Looking at the X-wing normal map you mentioned, it's definitely different.  I messed around with it a bit and it seems if you feed any of the RGB channels into the red channel, feed the alpha into the green channel then set the blue channel to 1, you can get a usable normal map out of it.  Really odd that it's not that way by default.

Well, these are built for E3D, so someone more tech savvy than I could deduce things about E3D's renderer from how the maps are set up. 

E3D is probably using different shader equations than Blinn-Phong and Cook-Torrance. 

• @SimonKJones Yeah, the main thing I love about the Saber plugin is the fractal effects and how you can get a Kylo Ren type design quickly and easily. But yeah the built in lightsaber effect in Hitfilm already is great, although mention to the team that I would love a slider that adjusts the curve of the Hilt and tip... Being able to make the hilt flat and the tip pointed would be great features for different lightsaber designs :)

The fractal stuff is lovely - try slapping heat distortion on top of HitFilm's lightsword effect if you want to get a similar smokey glow.

• Community, not sure if you seen it but here is the latest Tweet from Andrew and team.

Andrew Kramer (@videocopilot) tweeted at 2:01 AM on Fri, May 06, 2016: Added JPG download for the Star Pack textures! https://t.co/CCvGyCGCWa https://t.co/LUNJ9DVj8d

Isn't he nice.

• Awesome. :)

Aha - those normals now work nicely in HitFilm!

• @SimonKJones does that mean you tested the X-Wing does that work now?

Yes, the X Wing in particular looks lovely:

• Dribble!!!

Very nice. We'll just assume that the animation groups are easy to set up. 

On the X Wing they seem to be as you'd expect. BB-8 only has a single material group which is a bit awkward, as it has separate textures for head and body - so that might require a bit of customisation/prep.

Or, use that other free BB-8 from earlier this year. He works great in Hitfilm. 

http://getwrightonit.com/bb-8-in-london-short-film-and-free-3d-model/

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment