No Raw?

I loaded in some .RW2 [Raw] Files into Hitfilm for a time lapse and it won't accept them? Is there any codecs or anything I can download to support that file format? If not, there is a new thing for me to add to the Hitfilm wishlist ;)

Comments

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

Supporting raw still formats is a little more involved than just a codec because the raw formats aren't standardized. Each camera manufacturer has their own and in some cases the format is specific to a single camera. 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

In other words, you'll have to transcode.

• edited April 2016

Convert the camera raw files to a PNG, TIF or JPEG file.

Raw files are not images that can be viewed. They need to be converted to a viewable image. Just importing a camera raw file is a non trivial thing since to get the best out of a raw you need a raw converter like Lightroom, Photoshop and numerous other raw conversion programs, like those that come with the camera, have with all the adjustment settings to convert the raw file.

It does not make much sense to do some "default" conversion of a raw file to an image because then you are not taking advantage of the abilities of a raw file.

@Triem23 @NormanPCN Lumix cameras come with a version of Silkypix for working with raw images so I'm assuming @FilmTech is at least familiar with it. 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@Aladdin4d Just an observation: Don't most cameras come with the manufacturer's own tool for Raw editing and conversion?

@Triem23 I'm sure most do but Silkypix is a little bit above average for that kind of thing. Unless you're taking a lot of raw photos for serious work the core stuff is good enough that you don't have to spring for Lightroom.

Sign in to comment