aspect ratio export problems

Hey folks.
For some reason my latest project is not rendering in "widescreen" when exported as either MP4 or AVI clips. I'm getting what looks like a 4x3 aspect ratio instead of a 16x9 widescreen as I did in the past. Here's the properties...
My footage is from a Cannon HV-30. When I open the properties they read as .m2t files.
Aspect ratio = HD Anamorphic 1080 (1.33)
My composit shots
Template = HDV 1080i 29.97
Project settings
Export settings
MP4
AVI
Keep aspect ratio
When I import the finished clip back into Hitfilm 2 Ultimate to check the properties it says
Aspect = Square pixels (1.0)
I spent time searching the forum for answers before posting here. From what I understand, It should not be exporting as square pixels. But, it is. I understand that square pixels give me the "4x3 aspect ratio" Does anyone here understand what's going on?
Thanks.

Comments

• If you change the aspect ratio of the exported clip from square to 1.33, does it correct the issue?  When you view the clip outside of HitFilm, after exporting, does it display correctly or not?
  • Thank you for responding to my post Axel!
    I was able to solve the problem by changing the aspect ratio in the export menu to DV NTSC Wide, although I would swear I tried that before and it didn't work. I still don't get why it would create a clip with square pixels (1.0) when ALL of the settings / properties are set at Anamorphic (1.33)???
    BTW, how would I go about changing the aspect ratio / pixel shape of an exported clip as you suggested? Just for fun I put one of the exported clips with square pixels back into Hit Film 2 Ultimate and could not find any controls to change it's properties. I did try stretching it out in the viewer by draging the corners to fit and exported it again set as 1.33... It still created a 4x3 aspect video clip. I then did it again set to export as DV NTSC Wide and discovered that it was now 16x9. That's when I went back to the project and exported again to confirm that exporting as DV NTSC Wide was the solution to the problem.
    BTW, happy belated 4th of July. I assume from your accent you are a Yank living in Britian. If so, I hope you were able to celebrate.
  • You can access the properties for any clip by clicking the Cog icon next to its name in the Media panel, or by right-clicking it on the timeline and choosing "Properties."  The aspect ratio can be edited there. in the properties.
  • As a test, using a composite with just text, I set it to HD Anamorphic 1080 (1.33) and exported it.
    Both in hitfilm and vegas, it showed to be 1.0 square pixel.  I'm not sure if just the meta data was wrong, or if the pixels were 1.33 or 1.0
  •  I have the same issue with the exporting at HD Anamorphic  1080 (1.33). I used rgii trick of DV NTSC Wide, but that the clip is wider but not the 16x9 that it should be. The aspect ratio box is not changeable. For some reason the pixels are locked at square? I opened the original clip in Premere and saved and it and it came out as16x9. the clip is from a Sony Handy cam at 1440x1080.
  • Yep, this discussion was an attempt to get the jet pack movie exported. If you check it out, you will see that there are still small black bars on the side.
    I still don't understand why 1.33 equals square pixels. Shouldn't square pixels be 1.0 ??
  • 1.33 doesn't mean square pixels.  It means each pixel is 1.33 times as wide as it is tall.  Square pixels are 1.0.
    Aspect Ratio is always adjustable.  Make sure you un-tick the "From File" box if you want to change it from the value used by the file.
  • 1.33 doesn't mean square pixels.  It means each pixel is 1.33 times as wide as it is tall.  Square pixels are 1.0.
    Aspect Ratio is always adjustable.  Make sure you un-tick the "From File" box if you want to change it from the value used by the file.

Ahhhh..... Thanks Axel. As always, your insights are priceless.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    For reference--4:3 aspect ratio SD NTSC uses pixels that are 0.909. 16:9 SD NTSC pixels are 1.21. 720p footage is a 1.0 aspect pixel and so is 1920x1080p footage. If your imported footage has a 1.33 aspect pixel, then that means your footage is actually 1440x1080 (like an HDV camera). Sorry, I don't remember the pixel aspect for PAL SD. But upscaling the footage from 1440x1080 to 1920x1080 is why the pixel aspect is 1.33.I think other people gave you the answers to the output issue, but I hope I clarified some of why the issue exists.
  • When importing the file it has a ratio of 1.33 " from file"  I change editor to match this  When exporting it I have HD Anamorphic 1080 (1.33) checked. Shouldn't this come out as 16:9 and not 4:3?
  • One of my friends show me a step by step guide on how to change the aspect ratio of video files

It really works. Now I like to share it here at http://www.idealshare.net/video-converter/change-video-aspect-ratio.html

Accorrding to this article, I find this guide also helps to:

Change Aspect Ratio of almost all kinds of video formats like change MP4 aspect ratio, change AVI aspect ratio, change YouTube aspect ratio, change MKV aspect ratio, change WMV aspect ratio, change MOV aspect ratio, change WebM aspect ratio, change FLV aspect ratio, change video aspect ratio of ASF, WTV, MVI, AVCHD, 3GP, OGV, MXF, etc;

Change aspect ratio meanwhile keep the source video format; Adjust aspect ratio meanwhile convert video to other formats;

• The aspect ratio describes the proportional relationship of the video image between its width and its height. It is commonly expressed as two numbers separated by a colon, as in 16:9. Two common videographic aspect ratios are 4:3 (1.33:1), the universal video format of the 20th century, and 16:9 (1.77:1), universal for high-definition television and European digital television.

16:9 (1.77:1) (16:9 = 42:32) is an aspect ratio with a width of 16 units and height of 9. Since 2009, it has become the most common aspect ratio for sold televisions and computer monitors and is also the international standard format of HDTV, Full HD, non-HD digital television and analog widescreen television.

4:3 (1.33:1) is an aspect ratio with a width of 4 units and height of 3. It is for standard television and has been in use since the invention of moving picture cameras and many computer monitors used to employ the same aspect ratio.

There are many other aspect ratios like 1.85:1, 2.39:1, 5:3, 5:4, and 1:1.

How to Change Aspect Ratio of Video?

To change aspect ratio of the source video to your desired one, you need a professional Video Aspect Ratio Changer - Faasoft Aspect Ratio Changer which enables to change video aspect ratio among 4:3, 16:9, 2.35:1, 1.85:1, 1:1, 21:9 etc.

• I got a question. Say if I wanted to render my video in Widescreen 16:9. How would I do that? Can someone help me?

@JasonRoa what camera is your source video from? 1280x720, 1920x1080 and 3840x2160 are already 16:9

• I'm making my own video. I'm not using any camera. So you're saying that 1280x720 is already in 16:9?

Yes, 1280x720 is already 16:9.

Sign in to comment