Dry ice experiment

https://youtu.be/GrY9h5wDM3I

That's an accidental little test that emerged from testing update #3. Thought I'd share it as I was rather pleased/surprised by the behaviour of the particles, which have a convincing liquid nitrogen feel. YouTube has slightly smudged the video, but hopefully you can still see what's going on.

It's using the text as a layer emitter, with a direction and turbulence force mix, with some displacement and heat distortion thrown on top (which obfuscates the whole thing and actually contributes a lot to making it look natural).

Comments

• cool

(pun intended)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Stone cold! 

(pun reached for) 

• Nice tip on the displacement and heat distortion.

I once attempted a test simulating stage fog flowing down a wall and then across and off the floor. The turbulence force was good, but the displacement and distortion might be the ticket to put some life into it. Beyond a certain level turbulence just started making things worse.

• edited January 2016

SimonKJones- Absolutely  marvelous for something serendipitous.

So could a 3D model be used as an emitter? I was just thinking how it would look to have a rocket on a launch pad with the same effect.....provided masking or defining an area could be employed.

• Youtube should not smudge a video, it never does on my uploads.

What format are you using when uploading to youtube? And does youtube convert your upload before publishing?

• Cool beans! Best part out of this is the keyword Update#3 can't wait. Hopefully it fixes my issues :) Thanks for the tips by the way @SimonKJones

• @Yeremyah Youtube converts, re-encodes, everything you upload to their own encode spec. Youtube bitrates are reasonably low and fine motion detail may not survive their encode very well. This is what Simon is talking about.

• edited January 2016

There is some of out of date info in that article which is a few years old. The article is also way too concerned about technical encoding parameters for uploads. It's all irrelevant to Youtube. The biggest thing to worry about is bitrate.

• Ok Norman, thank you.

And sorry Simon, your thread was hijacked with off-topic comments.

edited January 2016

I think Simon's used to topics being hijacked and derailed on this forum. It happens. ;-)

@StormyKnight I don't think 3D models can be emitters (certainly trying right now, Hitfilm won't let me select a 3D model as an emitter). However 2D layer emitters can be moved and rotated and will follow the orientation of the emitter--for your specific example of a rocket on a launch pad, you could just wrap a circle emitter of the correct diameter around the rocket (assuming a standard tube-with-fins) set to Boundary. For an irregular shape, like a sci-fi shuttle, one could load that model into a comp shot--lets say we're looking at it nose-on--to get the proper shape, then, again, scale it to the right size, line it up and set it to Boundary--so you can still get a fog fall following a particular shape.

Incidentally, for those following along at home, the shape of a layer emitter CAN ANIMATE over time. Take a look at this concept test to see an animated layer emitter in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxsBkrx-J7I

There's a project template link in the video description and a brief discussion of the setup. The project file itself as a screen of annotations at text in a comp shot.

@Yeremyah anticipating your question, this type of text dissolve requires Hitfilm 4 Pro, or the Particles Add-on pack for Express 3. ;-) I know you love your text effects.

This test is another example of an animated layer emitter. The setup is actually almost exactly the same as the above text test--just with more and smaller particles, and using the layer colors to drive particle colors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHssOp2hAgc

• You know me so well Triem23 hehe ;)

• woow, what for a amazing effect.

have you time to make a tutorial, or share this project-files?

it seams to be simple, but my results in HT4 are not the same...

• I said no disintegrations!

re: My earlier comment about YouTube smudging the video, generally that kind of thing isn't a problem but when you start using lots of particles (especially atomic particles) YouTube tends to fall over a bit in the fine details.

Simon, coincidentally enough my car listening right now is NPR's Radio Series of "The Empire Strikes Back." Tonight, I hit that line. 

Brock Peters is a good Vader. John Lithgow is a brilliant Yoda. Perry King is a solid Han. 

• @SimonKJones making break through discovery's ;) it's always nice to find out new things, I'll mention you in the new tutorials, there's a very good reason why, watch this space :P 

you have done it again chap, Nicely done ! 

• Sounds intriguing, NX! I'm definitely going to experiment a bit more with displacement and heat distortion on smoke-based particle effects. It seems to add a level of controlled chaos which looks quite natural.

@SimonKJones @NxVisual had seen a shot you haven't yet that makes rather effective use for heat distortion over particles. It looks nice... I'm using a particle setup similar to your Hitfilm 2 tutorial on adding engines to 3D spacecraft to generate the Displacement Map.

Sign in to comment