Filming In New Zealand

Hey guys I have been going around New Zealand trying to capture the most scenic parts of it. I would really appreciate some feedback. Are they too long, too short, wrong type of music, right type of music. Anyways I hope you enjoy them :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uApG55OOww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4Tfu1oB16o

Comments

• Wow, that was amazing, beautiful graphics, loved the music, well done :)

• edited January 2016

I've only watched the first 31 seconds of the first video and I already have some notes.

Cutting on the beat like that trains us to expect it. But quite quickly you cut near the beat (8 seconds, 2 note roll) same at 11s, way late at 16 seconds, then not at 18 seconds! Then it's on, near, not until 31 seconds by which time I'm completely not watching the video and part of my brain is trying to guess when the next cut will be.

I think you made a rod for your own back with that particular music track and you could either find something else, or: fade rather than cut, then when you don't cut it's not as noticeable.

Just watched the first 27 seconds on the 2nd video and... same comments really, although you could also try some Ken Burns on what are either photos or static videos, and watching up to 46 seconds on the first video: some Ken Burns wouldn't go amiss there either (I wasn't really watching  the video the first time because of the music ;)).

Yes, I'm shallow and have the attention span of a knat, but mine's only one opinion. Make of it what you will and best of luck. :)

• I really appreciate your opinion! I will kepp that in mind. Side note my transitions don't work for some reason. I have tried uninstalls, upgrading hitfilm, upgrading hardware and nothing works...

• I have taken your advice and now it doesn't cut as much to the music and I have added a few transitions. but the only one that's working  for me is cross dissolve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ73o_G38fM

• FT- Absolutely gorgeous images! I like all the videos very much. The first one above- I thought the music was a good choice as it matched the action and gave the whole thing a somber/relaxing tone. I presume you were using a telephoto lens to get the close-up of the bird at 1:05 or did you sneak up on him/her to get that shot? The music in all three are good choices and personally wouldn't worry about timing the music and the scene changes. I would do that for a music video more than I would for a general purpose video. However, have you considered maybe using some music from New Zealand- something more native to the area? Eye and ear candy can be quite effective. As to the length of the vids, they are just right IMHO.

Keep up the great work!

Oh- I would submit a ticket on the transition problems you're having. Tech support might have some ideas on how to correct the issue.

https://hitfilm.com/support

• @FilmTech ; Awesome images!   I think your choice of music is just fine.   Music can really fit the mood you want to convey and I think you've made your choice something relaxing and thoughtful.  That type of feel really lends itself to leisurely  cuts and dissolves.  Really not sure you would need to dip into  wipes and flips anyway for this kind of subjet.

Bringing in some more nat sound (e.g surf and water, children laughing) might add to the presence of a couple of shots.  I would definitely recommend a tripod for long zoom shots (e.g. birds on the cliff).  Could have been you were on a monopod, since are are mostly steady?

Your exposure looks great and your talent with composition really shows.  These clips make me want to book a flight and go there right now!  So if that was your goal as a travelogue, then you've achieved that.

If you don't mind me asking (sorry if you've answered this before), but it would be great to hear more about your camera rig, lens, etc.   All shot at 4K?

• @Stargazer54 here is my gear list

Yeah I used a Panasonic Lumix GH4 it is captures beautiful quality IMO its only downside is the fact that it has a micro 4/3 sensor which means I cant get as shallow depth of field, low light performance and field of view as most full sensor dslrs. Although you can get a metabones speed booster which fixes all your problems for about $700.

I mostly use my wide angle lens to try capture just how big and amazing it is. The only downside to that lens is that it is my slowest lens. It is a 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6.

I also like using my 25mm lens a lot. It is definitely by best quality lens and is great for lower light. The lens is a 25mm F1.4 I find my self using this one for more narrative work though.

And my last lens is my zoom lens. It was what I used to get a lot of shots of the birds in the first video. It is a 45-150mm f/4-5.6.

Keep in mind that these are Micro 4/3 lenses so a 25mm is the equivalent to a 50mm.

After the 1st video I was able to pick up a good video tripod because my old one was starting to kick in and boy the shot are stable! Its only downside is that because I bought it with the intention of short films and I wasn't expecting to be carrying it around with me all day, it can really make you tired very quickly with its weight. 

So on the sound side of things I have a Rode Video Mic that I have tried to use but I have found that with the amount of people there are it is hard to pickup clean audio of the birds or waterfalls on the day. I could try using stock audio although I dont know many free sources.

I think I might add some more native music to the more culturistic places I will be visiting. 

Ok I better stop talking now. :P Thanks for the feedback!

• edited January 2016

@FilmTech I hope you'll take this as just more feedback. I get bored easily and it's fun playing with things like this instead of doing something I probably should be doing. ;)

So, I just took your 3rd video and edited it with a bit of Ken Burns-like movement to help guide the eyes a bit. I've made it pretty obvious, but you could use something a lot more subtle if you preferred. As it was originally shot in 4K you could certainly do this if the result was going to be 1080p. This is just 720p, as a test,  but to be honest: you could also probably get away with rendering the zoomed output at 4K, as in most places it's only enlarged in by about 5%, so still a pretty big frame. If you were really bothered by any small loss in detail from the zoom you could drop a bit of light sharpening on there.

I messed around in  few places, some sections slowed down a bit (mainly to hit the beat with the music) , one is sped up (waves against rocks up beach) and the little fade of the boys running in was just to add a little bit of interest. In all but one place : simple crossfades seemed to work best and it ended up a fair bit shorter than your original as I tried to keep it moving along with the music.

Oh, and to avoid confusing anyone: it's not public, only seen via the link below, and if you prefer: I'll delete it from YouTube at your request.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yD1ll5mC6U

• Yeah I am saving up for a slider to make some of the shots more interesting. I might use this technique for my next video but not on all the shots. Anyways thanks for sharing the info.

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator
    edited February 2016

@Palacono Very nice recut!  You have to admit you had some great footage to work with.  Like what you did with fading the kids in.

@FilmTech Thanks for the run down on your gear!  I've been seriously considering the GH4.  Bang for the buck it gives awesome video.  As you've noted, the depth of field issue is something I see mentioned on reviews.  Not sure that's really a deal breaker for me.

• @Stargazer54 yeah it wasn't a deal breaker for me. Plus if I really need it I can just save up for a while and buy a speedbooster

• @Stargazer54 oh yes, fabulous footage. All nicely shot, chosen, ordered and with great music. 99.9% of the work had already been done. My shuffling it about a bit was by far the the easiest part.

@FilmTech Sorry, I didn't say so before: it was because you'd added some transitions that worked really well already and the music was a better choice - with softer accents that made it easier to cut to , or not - that I was tempted to experiment in the first place. All your original crossfades were still there, as they work perfectly for what is a pleasant journey along the shore. Yes, it's not for all shots, but I do this when I slip the odd photo into a video and I did lay it on a bit thick for the example.

Yes, a slider will help for shots where the perspective changes are obvious - I work with a wedding photographer who uses one all over the church, past the flowers etc. but on distant shots it might not be as noticeable. Plus things like the fading boys on the beach wouldn't be possible.

One thing: I don't know if it was YouTube, Hitfilm or the camera's original speed, but the frame rate of the video I downloaded was 24.006, not the more usual 23.976.

• Just an observation on sliders. I recently became aware of Edelkrone, and they have a line of sliders (and other rigs) that are pretty pricey, but intriguing. Small and light. 

I bring it up because I pretty much never use my current sliders--big, bulky, take time to set up, and a pain on event shoots. Especially the five-footer. 

One of the Edelkrone sliders in tiny--only has about 8-inches of travel, but would fit in my camera bag, and could stay on the sticks all day. I may sell off my Digital Juice sliders and replace them! 

https://www.edelkrone.com/us/

Take a look and see if these are of interest? 

Otherwise, gorgeous footage! 

• @FilmTech Pretty nice stuff!  Personally I would have done dissolves in a couple of spots, but again your footage is awesome.

Maybe you mentioned this before, but are you color correcting at all?  There are a couple of the long shots along the beach that I would want to take the blacks down slightly, say at 0:48 and 1:37 for instance.  But that's just personal preference.

Hopefully you are getting paid for your work.  If so, need a grip?? :)

• edited February 2016

@FilmTech  Really liking that lad! If you bump into my cousin in waipukurau, tell him I want my Hoodie back ;) 

• I have been color correcting but not grading I want to keep it as close to its original beauty as possible. And no I'm not getting paid unless you count AdSense so $0.06

• Nice. I can understand why you don't want to grade. 

Have you tried fake HDR? Example: inside cave facing out, two plates--expose for rocks, expose for sky (by changing shutter speed, not aperture or ISO. Or ND filter, if you have it). Then just mask the two plates. Great with a tripod shot. 

• edited April 2016

Glad you are all enjoying the videos

• Very nice.  Really like the shot pacing.

• Here is something abit different from the usual scenic beaches. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUOXjgCFAKk

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator
    edited February 2016

Shot with the GH4?

Good looking stuff!

• Here is another waterfall I went to. I managed to catch some slow mo shots of people jumping off the side of the waterfall. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGJFNM62dbg

• @FilmTech Very nice!   Footage -> beautiful as always.  Nice edit, too.

On another note:  I'm really torn between deciding on the GH-4 and the Sony A6300.   But the rolling shutter on the 6300 is pushing me back to the GH-4.

Then I see your stuff.  Wowza!  Great video.  

(There is about as much stress in investing in a camera as buying a house!)

• @Stargazer54 Thanks! I would say the only things to keep in mind with the GH4 is the crop frame sensor [Which can be fixed with a speedbooster] and its low light capabilities [Which also can be fixed with a speedbooster] but yeah its an amazing camera and I would defiantly recommend it.

One other small problem is its autofocus in video mode. It tends to pop in and out of focus while recording but you can pull focus at the start and set it to manual mode to lock focus which should be fine. Or if your doing tracking shots you should really be using manual focus all the time anyway. But yeah great camera.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment