Remakes

2»

Comments

• edited July 2011
    Alright, so I just attempted to read through this already long thread, and thought to myself, when seeing movies on there like Star Trek and Batman Begins, aren't those reboots? Not remakes? For instance, To my recollection there isn't a Batman origin story, unless you count the Tim Burton film, which to me was definitely not an origin story as his origin was in the movie but wasn't really the focus. There are a few pre-60s batman movies I haven't seen, but to me Batman Begins was rebooting a character, and his universe, not remaking a movie. Same with Star Trek. I don't know that much about the original but to my recollection they don't have a back story on Kirk, do they? Just curios as the difference between a reboot and remake.
    Am I the only one who likes the new Narnia films to the old ones? Or does that not count because that was a TV series? ;)
    Anyway, I would have to agree with almost everything on Axel's post.
  • I have to agree with Rebecca. As an effects extravaganza, PJ's King Kong was amazing. But his version of the story just didn't work for me. Too many items were just too over the top to me (Not Kong. He was supposed to be.). I loved the original, and really like the Jeff Bridges/Jessica Lang version.
    Oh, I did love Lord of the Rings (except there was only ONE elf at Helm's Deep!!!) and am really looking forward to the Hobbit movies.

Whaaaaaaaa-? I don't even..
    Tell me you like The Lord of the Rings. Please?
  • edited July 2011
    Purist's will disagree but I enjoyed Let Me In. It wasn't as cold, and gritty as Let the Right One in but it focused on some elements of the book LROI didn't. Having watched both I enjoy them equally as much. If you watch Let the Right One In get the one with the english subtitles not the the english dub. The dub is terrible. The book by John Arvide Lindguist (hope I spelled it properly) is amazing and is worth reading.
    As for Pink Panther only Sellers could be the Inspector.
    "Does your dog bite?"
    "No."
    Chomp!!
    "I thought you said your dog does not bite?"
    "That is not my dog."
    Classic.
  • Different interpretations of the same source material don't really count as remakes - eg Batman, Lord of the Rings, Let Me In etc. There are countless interpretations of Shakespeare, but you don't think of them as remakes of the previous version.
  • Cant comment on the original, but last night I watched the remake ( based on a recommendation )
    I Spit on your Grave. ( pretty full on R rated movie )
    Based on the topic, I was half expecting the name to pop up in this thread.
  • Oh @ Rebecca,
    Judging by your avatar, it may be right up your alley.....if you haven't seen it, brace your self for the theme.

• Different interpretations of the same source material don't really count as remakes - eg Batman, Lord of the Rings, Let Me In etc. There are countless interpretations of Shakespeare, but you don't think of them as remakes of the previous version.

Hm, I' think I'd define a remake as a re-interpretation of the source material. Do you think for a remake the original has to have been a film, rather than a book, or how would you define it? I do often consider those remakes, whether they prefer to call them re-imaginings, or reboots, or whatever. Unless its a completely different story (each new Bond film isn't a remake, for example, even though they aren't strictly sequels).

• Whaaaaaaaa-? I don't even..
    Tell me you like The Lord of the Rings. Please?

Sorry! I'm not a Lord of the Rings fan, although i am/was a Peter Jackson fan, I love Bad taste, Brain dead and the Frighteners, as well as Heavenly Creatures but then he went all epic and i got bored.
  • The remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street was absolutely terrible. The remake of Psycho is also atrocious. Jackson's King Kong is not very good, but that might have something to do with the fact I find the whole concept totally boring.
    Can't think of many good remakes, actually none that are pure remakes.
  • I think for me it has to be JC's "The Thing", which to this day is still my favourite horror. I hope they don't muck up the prequel this year.
  • They are remaking the Black Hole from the early 80's a disney film....
    Star Trek 2009 was good
    True grit sucked!
    Batman begins Ok
    The new spider man coming out next year, really will suck!
  • I am never a fan of remakes. A big problem I have is they always remake great films. The great films don't need to be remade, they were made right the first time. Want to remake something, remake some piece of crap film that no one liked, If you can remake that and make people like it then you have impressed me. Planet of the Apes does not need a remake, they did it right in 1968. The Mechanic (1972) is awesome, leave it alone. My feeling is if you are doing a remake you are doing it because you are not creative enough to think up something new. There are very few remakes i feel are better than the original films. The 1941 version of Maltese Falcon. John carpenter's The Thing ( mostly because his version is closer to the original story than the first film). I always liked the 1977 version of The Island of Dr. Moreau. But those are the rare exceptions.
    Another thing that drives me nuts is the over used plots. Not technically a remake, but still annoying. One summer i saw 4 films released that all used Agatha Christy's Ten little Indians plot. I swear Ten Little Indians and Most Dangerous Game are the most over used plots. I call them hidden remakes. Hard Target, Surviving the Game, Predator all use the Most Dangerous Game Plot. Independence Day is obviously War of the Worlds. Aliens is Them!. It gets to a point where it feels like we are being fed an endless supply of warmed up leftover meatloaf. I've started watching a lot of foreign films. Film makers not in the USA seem to be more creative. They do things Hollywood would never think of. Even these films are not immune though. I swear i have seen half a dozen films that used the plot to Hard Boiled ( Lat sau an Tam )
    I swear i'd rather sit through a really lousy film than watch another remake or over used plot.
    well thats my rant, *steps off soap box*
  • Nice rant Masterwolf!
    I think most remakes are done to cash in on a mainstream audience, perfect examples are Let the Right One In and The Ring.
    Hollywood is selling something which should guarantee good money as it has already proven to be successful in it's independent form, but give it a Hollywood makeover so that people who don't like subtitles, or can't deal with being made to think (shoot them!) can enjoy the film.
    I personally think that if people don't like reading subtitles then it's their tough luck, and they shouldn't get a special remake just for them cos they are lazy!
    To be fair, some remakes like the ones i listed in my first post have been done pretty well, and it is interesting to see how Hollywood interprets the films, and satisfying if they do get it right (which is rare!).
    And yeah you are right, watching world/independent cinema has always been more interesting to me, Hollywood churns out he same plot over and over, even across different genres, whereas indie or world cinema often goes out of it's way to create something original. What's the point of spending 8quid on a film that you've seen 100 times before!
    I just dont get it!
  • I'm usually afraid to rant because normally peeps come down on me like a ton of bricks when I do. The whole remake and over used plot thing really bugs me. I do have a very short list of films that I would consider remaking, only because I don't feel they have been done justice on the big screen. But I even cringe at doing those because I so hate the idea of remakes.
    Now I love the sci-fi and horror films of the 40's and 50's but I would like to do new films in that style rather than remake the films i love. That is really my litmus test. If I love the film, it doesn't need to be remade, its already perfect as it is.
    As for foreign films. I don't mind subtitles, but most films in Spanish or German I understand well enough to watch with out subtitles. Most other films, after i have watched them a few times I don't need the subtitles. I usually try to make an effort to learn a rudimentary understanding of the language. I hate dubbed films. I can't remember who said it but i heard it from a director once "when you dub an actor you rob them of their performance".
    Something that always amazes me is that Hollywood films go all over the world. You go anywhere in the world and you can strike up a conversation with someone about some American film. But very few Americans ever watch foreign films. Even ones that are in English. I mention films like Once Upon a Time in the Midlands, or Dead Heart, or Black & White over here and people look at me with a totally blank expression. I think that is one of the sad things about American culture. We have no sense of the world outside of our own media.
  • edited August 2011
    I like lasagna, and I"m happy to have lasagna for dinner repeatedly throughout my life. Not every day, but somewhat frequently. Sometimes I'll eat lasagna from the exact same recipe over and over again. Sometimes, I'll find a new recipe for lasagna, a 'remake' if you will, and I'll try that. I'll compare it to the old tried and true lasagna recipe that I love. Most of the ingredients are the same, though perhaps the quantities have changes, or maybe the creator if this new recipe decided to throw in something different. Even though its still lasagna, I don't criticize the creator for its similarities to that other lasagna recipe, and I don't mind eating it. Sometimes I'll even find a new favorite lasagna recipe.
    I'm a big fan of originality in films, and I don't actively seek out films that are remakes, like in the lasagna illustration. But I also don't feel the need to criticize remakes simply for the fact that they are remakes. If they look decent, I'll give them a watch, same as any other film. And if I don't like it, I won't watch it again, same as any other film.
    I'll grant that most remakes aren't worth the time it took to remake them, but that's because of how they were handled, not because of the simple fact that its a remake. Out of curiosity, MasterWolf, do you equally hate movies that have been remade from books?
  • I am passionate about films and film making, as a result I some times come across as being more extreme than I really am. And my perspective on things has changed over the years. There was a time when I thought a lot of older movies should be remade, I wanted to see them with updated effects and film techniques etc. But as I get older I have just come to appreciate the originals more. I think what has really gotten to me is that in the last 10 to 15 years Hollywood has been serving up a steady diet of microwaved left over meatloaf. When it was 1 or 2 remakes every couple of years it was not so bad. But when 80% or more of the films released are either remakes or a reused plot, it gets old.
    Also I have a confession. When I buy DVDs I have to buy every remake of a film ever made. I like watching and comparing the various versions. But most of the time the original remains my favorite.
    One thing I really hate about remakes is often the story and characters get sacrificed for over the top special effects. I loved The Mechanic with Charles Bronson and I recently watched the remake with a friend of mine. Now I am a huge Jason Statham fan, but the remake to me was just too over the top. It had none of the feel I loved from the original. I guess I just like a different style of film making. I tend to go back to a more 70's and 80's film style. There was a tone to a film back then. Back then a film might only have one big stunt or special effect. Now days you have something flashing in your face every 2 seconds. You sat through the Great Escape to see Steve McQueens famous motorcycle jump. People talked about that one iconic scene for years. Now all movies feel the same even when they aren't remakes.
    There are remakes that I really like. I think Rob Zombie's Halloween is far better than the original and I love the original. But then Zombie often goes back to that more 70's style of film making that I like. There was a lot of build up of character, a lot of back story, it wasn't just a mindless slasher film. The original Halloween is one of the films that made me want to be a film maker and I can still say I like Rob's film better. I still love the original but the remake was a bit more believable to me. John carpenter's The Thing is far better than The Thing from another World. But Carpenter's Thing is more like the original story than the first film was. So I don't automatically hate a film because it is a remake, but I would much prefer to see something original than a remake.
    As for Movies adapted from books... It all depends on how it is done. Film and the written word are completely different media, so when ever a film is adapted from a book or story there will be changes. I like films that are more faithful to the book that they are based on. I think Frank Darabont did a marvelous job on both Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile. Yes there are changes from the written form but the main core of both stories survived to the screen very well. Jurassic Park, now my first reaction after seeing that film was "did they even read the book?". Now I can appreciate Jurassic Park for the special effects, both from Stan Winston's team and the ILM folks, but if it wasn't for them I would probably hate the film because I love the book so much. The main core of the story is only in the film in one line. Blink and you miss it. I am also a big fan of James Bond, both the books and the films but if you read the books and watch the films there is almost no similarity in the two. If I were to grade them on how faithfully the films were adapted from the novels, I would have to give them a D-. But I still enjoy the films, they are fun to watch. I just see them as separate entities. I enjoy both for different reasons. In rare cases I find the film to be better than the novel. Thomas Harris' Hannibal is a great example of this. While I really loved the book, my advice to anyone who wants to read it, skip the last couple chapters and watch the end of the film instead. So really when it comes to adapting a story from one media to another It all depends on how it is done. I have seen it done poorly and I have seen it done well.
  • There are a few films that I would consider remaking my self. A very short list mind you.
    1) Flash Gordon. I have been a Flash Gordon fan since I was a kid and I don't feel there has ever been a film adaptation that has done the characters or the story justice.
    2) The Land that time Forgot and The People that Time Forgot. Pretty much for the same reason as the first. I love the story and I don't feel it has really been done well on screen. I've seen the 70's films and the 2007 remake and I just feel a better adaptation can be done.
    3) The Wizard of Oz. This one I really don't consider a remake because I don't want to remake the film. I want to go back to the books and do a new adaptation from the source material. If possible I'd like to do all of L. Frank Baum's Oz books, keeping as faithful to the books and original illustrations as possible.
    Thats it, that is my list of remakes I would consider doing. Even when it comes to these I think I would prefer to make new original films than to go back and remake these.
    My main rule for my self is if I can't bring anything new to the film to make it better than the original with out losing what made the original great in the first place then I don't need to mess with it.
    I'm more a remaker of styles than of films. I see a film and I don't think "lets remake this", I think "that was awesome, lets tell a new story in that style". As I have said I grew up watching Sci-Fi, Horror and Fantasy Adventure films of the 60's 70's and 80's. I don't want to remake This Island Earth, or the Blob, but I would love to tell new stories in that style or genre. Granted with more modern FX.
  • Totally OT, but I just noticed that Rebecca and I are both Zombies in our Avatars :)
    ok back to topic
  • i like zombies
  • Incidentally, I do think Clueless was a good remake of Jane Austin's Emma, and 10 Things I Hate About You was a great remake of The Taming of The Shrew. They both did a terrific job of respecting the source material while removing the period elements and making it current. And I've nothing against period pieces, in fact I prefer them, in general, but those two films both handled the 'modern update' concept very nicely.

• Totally OT, but I just noticed that Rebecca and I are both Zombies in our Avatars :)
    ok back to topic

If you were vegetarian zombies would you go around saying,"Grains"?
  • Hawaii Five-O
    Ok, I don't know the original serie, but I like the new one :)

• Incidentally, I do think Clueless was a good remake of Jane Austin's Emma, and 10 Things I Hate About You was a great remake of The Taming of The Shrew. They both did a terrific job of respecting the source material while removing the period elements and making it current. And I've nothing against period pieces, in fact I prefer them, in general, but those two films both handled the 'modern update' concept very nicely.

I haven't seen Clueless, but I loved 10 things i hate about you, a very well done retelling of Taming of the Shrew. For more from the Bard, I also love Forbidden Planet, a retelling of The Tempest.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment