ShellShock

Well, I decided it was time to create a separate topic for my projects. In order not to clutter up the forum, each time creating a new one.
Present to you the teaser-trailer for my next action project:
http://youtu.be/x5iEiMM-BuU
All aspects of production, from camera work to music, I do myself. And it takes a lot of time.But I hope to finish the film by the middle of next month. This would be a 15-minute action packed movie.
In post-production I, as always, was going to use Hitfilm 2 Ultimate. For example, in the teaser you can see the helicopter - this is animation of 3D-model, completely made in Hitfilm. I'm also actively using the Particle Simulator.
And I hope you like it.

Comments

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator
    Great work! A tightly edited trailer, with slick, polished camerawork and a clear style. VFX are nicely integrated and look natural. Excellent trailer-style sound mix.
    Really looking forward to the full film - if it has the same sense of pacing as your other work it'll be fantastic.
  • edited March 2016
    Thank you, Simon!

I hope that the film will not disappoint you!

• That's really good stuff Tyler, nice to see some longer projects in HitFilm. Looking forward to seeing the finished film.
  • I'll buy my tickets now, please. 
    And one day (when you have time), I'd love to see a breakdown and/or tutorial on how you approached editing the trailer.
  • Tyler, your work is so good!  Total fan of your trailer, kept me zoned in the entire time and the integration of the 3D assets were really well done!
    Keep it up and looking forward to see the full thing!
  • Thank you for your feedback, guys! I hope that you will like the movie as much as the trailer. Or even more!))
  • I'd watch this!  I like the camera movement in the first 3 shots!
  • I'll buy my tickets now, please. 
    And one day (when you have time), I'd love to see a breakdown and/or tutorial on how you approached editing the trailer.

Phil, I'd love to do tutorials, but the fact is that I am Russian, and I talk in English is even worse than I write in English. Trust me, it would be terrible.

• Phil, I'd love to do tutorials, but the fact is that I am Russian, and I talk in English is even worse than I write in English. Trust me, it would be terrible.

If you want (and have time), my wife is Ukranian, and we could probably do a bit of translating (and then using annotations or closed captioning) to get your stuff on the English speaking/reading side. Let me know what you think!

• edited May 2013
    I'd watch this!  I like the camera movement in the first 3 shots!

Thank you! When I was taking these shots, I was riding in a children's sled. ))
    f7ac7709d041.jpg

• If you want (and have time), my wife is Ukranian, and we could probably do a bit of translating (and then using annotations or closed captioning) to get your stuff on the English speaking/reading side. Let me know what you think!

This is an interesting proposal, you have to think about it.))

• So, I finally finished it. It took longer than I expected. And the final video is too long in my opinion. Nevertheless, I hope you enjoy it. And I have to rest a little ...
    http://youtu.be/gjNYey3UJzc
  • Fantastic overall, really impressed!  Didn't feel as though it ran too long at all and flowed very well.  The action directing and editing were both great and the effects just as good.
    The only thing I might point out, although it is rather minor, the blood seemed to be rather vivid and stood out maybe more than it should.  Toning down the saturation on that may have helped it blend more, but like I said, a very minor point.
    A fantastic production, really enjoyed it.
  • Fantastic overall, really impressed!  Didn't feel as though it ran too long at all and flowed very well.  The action directing and editing were both great and the effects just as good.
    The only thing I might point out, although it is rather minor, the blood seemed to be rather vivid and stood out maybe more than it should.  Toning down the saturation on that may have helped it blend more, but like I said, a very minor point.
    A fantastic production, really enjoyed it.

Thank you very much!

I basically did not want to make the blood too realistic. I did not want the film to look like a naturalistic horror-movie. Therefore deliberately made it a little cartoony.
    Wow!
    That was superb. Super, super slick and genuinely exciting. That's the first short action flim I've watched online for quite some time that actually engaged me.
    A few nitpicks:
    - I was a little confused about how it all fit together, in terms of who was working for whom, how the factions related to each other, who was doing the double-crossing, etc etc. By the end I realised that EVERYBODY was betraying EVERYBODY, but at first I was a little confused.
    - The lens flares were, at times, a bit distracting. Only occasionally, though.
    Otherwise, I loved just about everything. Your core strengths are absolutely in the editing and sound editing arenas: your sense of pacing when it comes to action is second to none. The tight integration of the music with the action is also amazing - everything slots together just right.
    As always, I'd love to know which effects were done in HitFilm. The overall standard is really high.
    Exciting, amusing and very satisfying to watch! Can't wait to re-watch it (not something I often say about 15 minute movies on the internet!).
  • Simon, thank you so much for your feedback! I am glad that the film does not disappoint you.
    Indeed, the story was very confusing. We were not able to shoot a few scenes that gave some explanations. Because the filming process took three days with an interval of two weeks between each one. And by the second day, all the snow in the street almost rearing. I live in the far north, and such a quick spring was a surprise to us. But we are no longer able to shoot on the street.
    But on the first day was a lot of snow. We tried to shoot in those rare breaks when the snow is not gone, but it still often got in the picture. And to match all the scenes, I added the snow in those frames where it was not. With the Hitfilm, of course. I was even interested, you'll see the difference - where the snow is real and what is not?
    And, of course, in Hitfilm 2 Ultimate, I added almost all the 3-D objects (flying car door I like especially), a bit of smoke and debris, shells, muzzle sparks, as well as the muzzle flashes in shot with "frozen time".
  • edited July 2013
    I'd like to tell you how much I enjoyed this but you literally blew my mind. Fantastic job!
    The integration of the 3D model was great with the little bits of snow flying around as it approached the ground. Nice attention to detail!
  • Tyler, that was fantastic!  I tend to watch things first without audio so I can focus just on the visuals and then with everything together.  Even without the audio I was quite engaged in your film.  The editing, camera work and general cinematography is so well done.  Seriously hope I can get to that type of quality and level one day!
    You do the subtle things so well that really make the scenes "fit" with all it's assets both real and CG. 
    My two favorite parts were the opening sequence - loved those camera movements and then the fight scene which included the time freeze - rotating camera.  The gun switch and a bit of equlibrium-esque style fighting was pretty slick!
    How many people were involved with this production?
  • Loved it!  :) 
  • Thank you, guys! I really appreciate your opinion.
    Orange Pekoe, Directly in the shooting participated about 16 people. But the entire post-production was done by me alone.
  • That was amazing... 
  • Great work!!!! Loved all the speed ramping. Did you shoot in 1080p 24fps and interpolate for the slow motion or were you running 720p 60fps?
  • Thanks, guys!))
    Keegs, I shoot 720p 60fps.
  • I found this spectacular! I didn't expect this to keep my attention, because I tend to have a short attention span sometimes with low budget films these days, but this really gripped me! Not only was it the storytelling without dialogue, but it was the way the camera moved constantly in a certain way that kept me watching in fear I'd miss something.
    The editing and sound design in this was superb, and I loved the music. I also adored how you had a style that was consistent throughout the entire film and didn't stop to have a moments break from being stylistic and just sit there static for a few minutes, before finding it's style again, so well done on the consistency.
    The VFX work was stunning though, and because I've recently purchased HitFilm and can't wait to get using it, I thought I'd watch this and just see more of what it is capable off...I expected...well I'll be honest, I expected to see some cheap looking VFX, but no, I saw some absolutely fantastic VFX work! Did you do any matte masking or was it just a simple mask?
    As for the blood, I remember seeing a post back when Hitfilm used to be, "FXhome" and we had a big discussion about a video that used a smokey blood splatter style, some found it unrealistic, but others found it to be tailored to how the director felt it should look, so I did enjoy the blood in this! It was gentle to look at and had a style. 
    Once again, I really enjoyed this piece, fantastic job. I can't wait to see more of what you bring!
  • Wow, that was amazing! I want to make movies too, your film gives me hope. That was so cool!
  • Thanks for your feedback!
    B3NB4IL, I done ​​a many different sort of masking.))
  • 64705a8e2e57.jpg
    This week we finally started shooting a new project. This will be the hardest thing of all that we have done so far. We now even have a script! With replicas and dialogues. Also in the film will be a lot of shooting, fighting, stunts, explosions and even a bit of a car chase.
    8b34823b409e.jpg
    And gun shells flying in slow-mo, of course.
    However, as is usually the case, we are constantly faced with various problems that complicate the process of filming. But we all hope that we will be able to overcome all difficulties and successfully complete the project!
    9ebdc128a50c.jpg
  • I am beyond excited for this!!!
    Are those bullets 3D? Hitfilm particle effect? Animated stock footage?! SHARE YOUR  SECRETS!
  • YES. Bring it on.
    Love the idea of that car shot, with the bullets flying past camera as the car moves. LOCKOUT was packed full of inventive shots, even though the story was quite a standard shootout. You always manage to add a fresh twist to the action genre.
    What kind of running time are you aiming for?
  • Really looking forward to the beautiful creativity that will no doubt come from this! The teaser pictures look fantastic already! 

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment