Mocha tutorials: What areas need clarification?

Hey everybody.  I'm starting on creating some mocha tutorials, and I was curious which aspects of mocha have proved the most puzzling or tricky to you guys?  The more specific you can be the better, as then I can identify any specific areas that I should be sure to address, to help clarify things for everyone.

Comments

• edited May 2013
    Really, a walk through of the whole process would be great. I followed the one that Mocha made but didnt get the same results. Specifically, the actual planar tracking and then bringing that data into hitfilm. I followed the example and got a good track but, when I brought it into hitfilm (following their instructions) the 3d model sort of floated off into the sky.
    How do I really know if I got a good track? During my experimenting, on one attempt, I noticed that one plane was drifting but, the track was like 90% good. Not sure why when a plane is drifting the software says I got a good track. Probably something to do with the camera solve part of the proccess.
    How to set up planes for parralaxx. When should one or two planes be tracked? Which planes in the frame should be tracked to best fit the parralaxx in a scene.
    Does the entire plane need to be tracked or can part of it work?
    Tracking a plane that might be moving out of frame.
    Those are my questions, off the top of my head.
  • HarHar
    edited May 2013
    Much of the tutorials I've been seeing so far usually seem to involve how to use Mocha to place 3D objects into a tracked live scene; I think we now have a pretty good idea about how to put phone booths and large floating extruded text into live outdoor scenes at this point.  ;) 
    I'd like to see some examples of the opposite if possible: using Mocha to track an in-studio greenscreen clip (and how to handle the various concerns that come with that: making sure there are at least two planes or objects with planes in the scene for Mocha to lock onto, what kind of objects, markers etc would be best to use and how they should be positioned, etc)....and then use the camera solve to place the person/object in the greenscreen shot into a virtual set/scene using 3D objects, panoramic backgrounds using Environment Mapping, etc.
    I'm sure it's basically just a matter of reversal of the first concepts, but it would be helpful to see some practical examples in action.  :) 
  • Agree with all of the above. Sorry, Axel. Looks like you got your work cut out for you- but hey- you got the coolest job!
  • edited May 2013
    An indoor and a variable depth track with wide pans.
  • Thanks for the feedback guys, its very helpful.  Virchow - can you elaborate a bit more? Whether a shot is indoor or not shouldn't have any impact on how you track it, and I'm not quite sure what you mean by "a variable depth track with wide pans."  What part of the process of tracking such a shot is giving you trouble?
  • I think it would help to explain how to film a shot that you would like to track.  I'll usually get, what seems to be a good track, and then when I go to solve it, it solves at 10% :( .... so Im assuming its because of the way I shot it to begin with, because Im using all of the tutorials online, and my models always slide around in the scene.
    Also, I dont know if its possible in this version of mocha; but I saw some videos about using mocha to track and create masks; and then exporting them into the the vfx software.
  • After watching the Mocha tutorials, I felt like I had a good idea of how to use it, and even though some of my tests seemed to be ok, it seems inconsistent and I'm not sure why.  On some footage when playing around, my tracks seem to jump around a lot and the camera solve ends up with a low value.
    I downloaded the first, WIDE example from this link, thinking it would be an easy test for Mocha,
    http://www.hollywoodcamerawork.us/greenscreenplates.html
    but it also had the tracks jump around and a low camera solve.
    Their license does allow this footage to be a part of a instructional video, as long as you credit them :)
  • Is the object beam out tutorial something that is possible with hitfilm 2?

• edited May 2013
    Sorry Axel.  To clarify, nearly all of the tracking tutorials are outside shots.  Although the theories and techniques provided in the main Mocha tutorial should apply, I have not experienced or seen a lot of successful solves with indoor shots via Mocha, especially on panning shots (where your original shot completely leaves the frame).
    As with the above, the variable depth shots (zoom with some panning) I have experienced and seen have had some trouble with solid solves.
    It may be my camera or processing technique, though, and I apologize is that's the case.
  • edited May 2013
    Just tried another track with what I thought was with decent contrasting shapes (a dark door on a light wall); and I still have to do a bunch of key framing.
  • Heres the beam tutorial that I am talking about
    http://vimeo.com/53898601

• Heres the beam tutorial that I am talking about
    http://vimeo.com/53898601

This is probably possible, but not with mocha hitfilm, you'll have to do all replacement work for the objects in HitFilm itself because mocha hitfilm doesn't include replacement tools, which could be a bit more complicated.

• Thanks for the suggestions and feedback guys.  I'm working on some tutorials now.  In the mean time, here is a video on How to Shoot for Planar Tracking, one of the dozens of excellent tutorials for mocha over on the Imagineer site:
    http://www.imagineersystems.com/videos/how-to-shoot-for-planar-tracking/view
  • In my very limited experience with it (haven't had much time lately to play with it), I found that I got a seemingly decent track, but my camera solve was terrible (as were the results). Unfortunately, Mocha doesn't really offer much in terms of feedback as to why this would happen. Some general guidelines into what is necessary for a successful solve would help a lot. Thanks Axel!
  • Hey Axel,
      While I haven't used Mocha for Hitfilm, I use it everyday as a standalone application.  If there's anything I could help with, just let me know.
  • Thanks Mandalorian, I'll keep that in mind.  The friendly folks at Imagineer have been very good about answering any questions I've had, so I think I'm good for now, but I'll remember you if I need help with anything.`
    So of course the first tutorial has been out for almost a week, and the next one, which covers basic mocha tracking, will be coming quite soon now.  Virchow - I used an indoor scene for it, just for you. :)  I also have the scripts roughed out for the next three tutorials, and today I think I'll be filming some footage to use in them.  As they come, if you feel anything needs clarification or further discussion, please let me know.
  • My next tutorial will cover how to track long panning shots in mocha.  Here is the finished shot I put together from the track I created in the tutorial, which should be available soon.
    http://youtu.be/8X0wOnior7o
  • http://vimeo.com/50644494
    I am going to have to see if I can do this in Hitfilm
  • http://vimeo.com/50644494
    I am going to have to see if I can do this in Hitfilm

Interesting video.  The blemishes should be pretty easy in HF using track and clone stamp.  The rest is doable, but a bit more manual.  Would be nice if HF allowed tracks to be applied to masks.

• 1. Track your footage, can be a 2D or 3D matchmove. Depends on what you're going for.
    2. If it's just a 2D track, add a point layer to the timeline and apply tracking data to the point layer... If it's a 3D matchmove from other software... you'll already have 3D points on import of the tracking data. 

3. Create a Grade layer.
    4. Add a mask "whatever shape" you need to the grade layer.
    5. Parent the grade layer to the new point with tracking data.
    6. Bam!!! You've got a mask that follows the tracking data. 
    You may need to do some manual keyframing for the mask but it won't be as difficult because it's following the point layer. This is essentially what you would do in Mocha, except we can't export shapes out of Mocha to use as masks in HF2U. 
    Hope this helps... may do a tut on this.  :D 

Sign in to comment