Film recommendations

Ok, so I'm the first to admit my taste in films is a little mainstream. I watch a fair number, but the majority are hollywood blockbusters. It's not that I don't enjoy others, just a case of taking the easy option ;).
With that in mind I'm trying to broaden my horizons a little, and watch films that are off the beaten track. I'm particularly interested in films seen as classics or required watching for filmmakers.
So, what are your recommendations?

Comments

• edited July 2011
    Well, I am 13 so I havent seen loads (I would recommend Citizen Cane and Metropolis but I haven't seen them).
    My favourites are:
    The Piano
    Brazil
    The Hurt Locker
    Etre et Avoir
    Little Otik (by Jan Svankmajer, I can't quite remember the name of the film but think that's it)
    Also the Hitchcock films eg.
    North by Northwest
    Dial M for Murder
    And some of the Speilberg films are good, like Duel
  • What about Hobo with a shotgun or Rubber. Neither of these are mainstream movies but both are fine movies.
    Hobo isnt for everyone due to the balls to the wall insanity of the violence. And Rubber is just a masterpiece that is just simply what it is a Film about a killer Tyre why? No reason.
  • Rubber is crazy. I tried explaining that film to a friend and it just sounded insane. "Well you see, the audience to the film is in the film...".
    The film is shot on the Canon 5D and looks great by the way.
  • A black and white old classic I liked was Yankee Doodle dandy.
    And the original three star wars are good.

• Ok, so I'm the first to admit my taste in films is a little mainstream. I watch a fair number, but the majority are hollywood blockbusters. It's not that I don't enjoy others, just a case of taking the easy option ;).

Sounds like we're the same :)
  • Requiem for a dream
    Badlands
    Amorres Perros
    The Graduate
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
    Heathers
    Evil Dead Trilogy
    Bad Taste
    American Beauty
    Full Metal Jacket
    Clockwork Orange
    American History X
    Together
    Amelie
    Run Lola Run
    Pans Labyrinth
    Cronos
    Napoleon Dynamite
    True Romance
    21 grams
    One flew over the Cukoo's nest
    The Lost Boys
    The list goes on and on...
    Enjoy!
  • Quick look at my dvds...
    Trip to the Moon (practical magics)
    Never ending story (i like tales)
    Labyrinth (as i said)
    The Princess Bride (have i said that i like tales? ;) )
    Gremlins I-II (funny)
    A Nightmare on Elm Street (all of them)
    Reign of Fire (practical magic and DRAGONS :D Biiig hungry dragons)
    Dark City
    Serenity
    Split Second (Rutger Hauer is the best! EVER :D )
    Ben Hur, Conan, Red Sonja (beautiful matte paintings)
    Mad Max I-II (standard of the post apoc theme)
    Meet Joe Black (great, dark story !without! vampires)
    Interview with the Vampire (...and with vampires ;] )
    Series:
    Firefly
    Die phantastischen Abenteuer des Raumschiffs Orion
    Space 1999
    From the Earth to the Moon (this is not fiction)
    Band of Brothers
    I hope you find few interesting titles ;)
  • Any early Cronenberg, particularly:
    - Shivers
    - Rabid
    - Scanners
    - Videodrome (this in particular)
  • Some great suggestions here :) I think I now have about 100 films on my list, so its going to take me a while!
    I have watched and enjoyed these:
    [list]
    [*]The Hurt Locker
    [*]Full Metal Jacket
    [*]Reign of Fire
    [*]Serenity
    [*]Mad Max I-II
    [*]Firefly
    [/list]

• Requiem for a dream
    Badlands
    Amorres Perros
    The Graduate
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
    Heathers
    Evil Dead Trilogy
    Bad Taste
    American Beauty
    Full Metal Jacket
    Clockwork Orange
    American History X
    Together
    Amelie
    Run Lola Run
    Pans Labyrinth
    Cronos
    Napoleon Dynamite
    True Romance
    21 grams
    One flew over the Cukoo's nest
    The Lost Boys
    The list goes on and on...
    Enjoy!

That's a good list you've got there and wholeheartedly 2nd this list (apart from a few I haven't seen). Some other ones that I haven't seen mentioned yet:
    Let the right one in (Låt den rätte komma in) - the original 2008 version
    Dawn of the Dead (both the original and the 2004 remake
    Gattaca
    Goodbye Lenin!
    The Lives of Others (Das Leben der Anderen)
    The Vanishing (Spoorloos, the original 1988 one, NOT the hollywood remake)
    Pretty much all Pedro Almodavar movies (bizar, but good)
    eXistenZ
    and, I can't help it, The Breakfast Club (for me the ultimate 80-ies highschool type movie)
  • If you can track down the Remastered DVD edition of Citizen Cane, there is a commentary track on it by Roger Ebert which explains the numerous things that make the movie so groundbreaking and impressive. I guarantee you will enjoy and appreciate the movie much, much more after watching it with the commentary.
    Obviously you already have a huge list to go through, but it'd be easier for me to make recommendations if I knew what your goal it watching them was. Do you want movies that are enjoyable to watch? Movies that will help you learn about the art of filmmaking and visual storytelling? What are your thoughts on subtitled foreign films?
    The Big Country - best western film ever. Huge,and epic, but rooted by a strong script, and superb characters enhanced by strong performances. And a really strong score.
    Captain Blood - best pirate film ever. A quick, fun script, great action, and rollicking adventure.
    The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra - a perfectly made parody of bad filmmaking. It functions brilliantly both as a peer of the b-grade sci-fi movies of decades past, and as a parody of those same movies. And its hilarious.
    Lots of others I could add if you want more. M, All About Eve, The Manchurian Candidate (the original, not the remake), Arsenic & Old Lace, Knock on Wood, Hero, Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs, etc. etc.
  • Metropolis (1927) Fritz Lang
    Nosferatu (1922) F.W. Murnau
    City Lights (1921) Charles Chaplin
    King Kong (1933) Merian C. Cooper / Ernest B. Schoedsack
    Planet of the Apes (1968) Franklin J. Schaffner
    The Great Escape (1963) John Sturges
    The Magnificent Seven (1960) John Sturges
    Lat sau san taam (1992) John Woo
    Halloween (1978) John Carpenter
    El mariachi (1992) Robert Rodriguez ( watch any of his films on DVD he has great tips and tricks in the special features )
    The thing to remember is that you can learn something from every film ever made. Even if it is not the genre of film you want to make. I can't watch a film anymore with out mentally making notes. The whole time my mind is thinking, "Establishing shot, tight 2 shot, close up, reverse angle..." Women are usually surprised when i sit through chick flics with out grumbling, they don't realize that i'm paying more attention to use of camera dollies or steady cams, matte shots, lighting, sound design etc than i am to the story. As you watch a film, think how you would shoot it. No matter how much you know there is always more to learn.
  • edited July 2011
    As far as classics are concerned, Casablanca is IMO the best romance ever made and absolutely essential. Don't let the genre turn you away, one of the things I love about it is that the whole romance aspect evolves according to the rest of the story, and not the other way around.
    12 Angry Men is also a brilliant exercise in writing (albeit with moments of slight cheese).
  • City Of God (if anyone hasn't said it already)...
  • City of God is stunning! Astounds me every time I've watched it.
    Axel - I don't know if it's the Ebert commentary I've listened to, but I did hear one Kane commentary which highlighted how 90% of the film's shots are actually visual effects shots. Which rather surprised me.

• That's a good list you've got there and wholeheartedly 2nd this list (apart from a few I haven't seen). Some other ones that I haven't seen mentioned yet:
    Let the right one in (Låt den rätte komma in) - the original 2008 version
    Dawn of the Dead (both the original and the 2004 remake
    Gattaca
    Goodbye Lenin!
    The Lives of Others (Das Leben der Anderen)
    The Vanishing (Spoorloos, the original 1988 one, NOT the hollywood remake)
    Pretty much all Pedro Almodavar movies (bizar, but good)
    eXistenZ
    and, I can't help it, The Breakfast Club (for me the ultimate 80-ies highschool type movie)

Let the Right One In and Goodbye Lenin are excellent films and I like both versions of the Vanishing, Dutch one is better though!
    Dawn of the dead remake is immense (i like the original too but this is one movie where the remake wins hands down! Actually that's a good idea for a forum post!), i love the opening scene just before the Johnny Cash song kicks in! Edge of the seat stuff!
  • edited July 2011
    One word:
    Hitchcock
    That's film school right there. Psycho, The Birds, Rear Window, Vertigo, Rope, some of the most suspenseful and well crafted films I've ever seen.
  • Axel - I don't know if it's the Ebert commentary I've listened to, but I did hear one Kane commentary which highlighted how 90% of the film's shots are actually visual effects shots. Which rather surprised me.

Yeah, that sounds like the one. In fact, I may have recommended it to you after I first watched it years back... Can't remember for sure, though. It is amazing, regardless. Even moreso when you factor in that Orson Welles had never been involved in any sort of film production prior to directing it, other than a couple of experimental short films he did independently.
    Really, anything directed by Orson Welles, and most of the stuff he played in, is well worth watching. Touch of Evil, the Third Man, Jane Eyre, Lady from Shanghai, Transformers: The Movie...
  • edited July 2011
    It's not sci-fi and it's not a block buster but one of my favorite movies is "The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain". It's a simple little story but I think it's quite brilliant in it's presentation.
    The Usual Suspects (surprise ending)
    Disorganized Crime (hilarious)
    Rear Window
    Rope [if you can find it]
    Book of Eli
    Unstoppable
    Have you seen any of the latest sci-fi?
    Skyline
    Battle Los Angeles
  • edited July 2011
    Sorry for going off topic a moment-

Also the Hitchmale chicken films eg.
    North by Northwest
    Dial M for Murder

I wonder why it is djswallow can type Alfred's last name without a problem but when I type it in it gets edited automatically. I swear- I am not doing this. Either the site is or the computer I'm on is.....I'm typing Alfred's last name now...........
    Hitchmale chicken
    Even if I try typing in the possessive case-
    Hitchmale chicken's
    It's changed in the "quote" I took directly from djswallow's post! WEIRD!!!!!

• Obviously you already have a huge list to go through, but it'd be easier for me to make recommendations if I knew what your goal it watching them was. Do you want movies that are enjoyable to watch? Movies that will help you learn about the art of filmmaking and visual storytelling?

All of the above.

What are your thoughts on subtitled foreign films?

Fine in small doses, can't watch a bunch in a row though, too distracting :)
  • StormyKnight - he can't, no-one can. The profanity filter is going a little bit power crazy.
    We've been "fixing" people's posts when they come up, whilst we work on the larger problem.
  • Hehe, but in the meantime it makes this conversation much more amusing.
    Narc
    Dark City
    Conspiracy (HBO Film)
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator
    edited July 2011
    I do enjoy looking out for Hitchcock cameos.
    Edit: Wait, it doesn't change it when I type it? Awwww.
  • edited July 2011
    Hitchmale chicken.
    Edit: Haha, that is so weird.
  • Ooh, another great film that I highly recommend, is Uncorked. Outside the US it may be known as At Sachem Farm, or Higher Love. Not exactly sure why so many titles are required, but its got Rufus Sewell, Minnie Driver, and Nigel Hawthorne, and is among my favorite films of all time.
  • Here're my movie favorits:
    Blade Runner
    Clerks
    High Fidelity
    The Crow
    Dead Poets Society
    Alien
    Aliens
    Inception
    Müllers Büro
    Outland
    Things to Do in Denver When You’re Dead
    The Crying Game
    El Dorado
    The Shootist
  • Good list, especially the first 2. I must have seen Clerks at about 8 times. Hilarious. Clerks 2 wasn't quite as good, but still was entertaining.
  • Undisputed II-III
    Juno
    Scott Pilgrim vs the World
    3:10 to Yuma
    First Blood
    My Cousin Vinny

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment