"Invisible" motion in video shown - MIT project

So it's long been known that there's a lot of motion which we can't see, or can't quite make out, with our eyes. Computers can though, using some clever analysis of pixels and surrounding pixels, the same kind of way tracking works in HitFilm. A team at MIT have taken this to the logical next step though - they've applied the computer's vision back to the video, basically making the invisible, visible:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rWycBEHn3s
This is insanely cool. If this could be ported over to Google Glass for example, another step towards our future badass cyborg selves is complete!

Comments

• This kind of thing is pretty fascinating to me, although I don't fully understand why it works.  That close-up of the eye is amazing.
  • Saw this a little while back, it is very interesting indeed. I'm surprised it works as well as it does with video footage, considering the amount of noise and artifacting present even in decent quality video. You'd think that would throw off the algorithm completely.
    Given they've made the technique open source, we should just stick it in HitFilm as an effect.* ;)

* I have no idea if this is even possible.
  • This is quite awesome, the eye shots impress me the most. It seems like quite a complicated thing to technically do but these guys just make it easy.
    If anyone watched Charlie Brooker's "Black Mirror" Season 1 "The Entire History Of You" where implants can record the users everyday vision enabling them to playback their day, I can't help imagining this concept morphed into this topics subject. If this was implemented into something like Google Glass, imagine the detail you could pick out in your everyday life. 
    One day, I will become a badass cyborg one day.
  • I like this - Just when you think you couldn't get anymore information other than what is "there", someone comes along and discovers a cool application that even has medical benefits.
  • edited March 2013
    One day, I will become a badass cyborg one day.

I hope they fix that stutter. ;)
    Edit:  What's up with the quotes now?
  • I should be downloading Stutter-Reduction Pro Infinite over the weekend, so hopefully it should be fixed soon.
  • Given they've made the technique open source, we should just stick it in HitFilm as an effect.* ;)

* I have no idea if this is even possible.

That would be awesome.

• As soon as law enforcement figures out a way to work with this idea it will put an end to being able to hide from the coppers- and predators. Arnie wouldn't have stood a chance even covered in mud!

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment