Forum software updates

DanielGWoodDanielGWood Staff
edited March 2013 in Everything Else
We've just updated the software which runs the Forums and Blogs (plus a few other things, like Messaging).
There are a few teething issues which we're working through as fast as possible, apologies for the inconvenience in the meantime.
Other than beefed up security and stability, the main changes to observe are:
  • Ability to mark topics as "answered", indicating the best answer, has been added.
  • The rich text editor has changed.
Known issues:
  • "Mark forum as read" doesn't work
  • Broken emoticons on old posts
  • Messages interfaces glitched
  • Editor interface partly broken in some browsers
  • When posting a reply using the "Fast reply" form, it doesn't indicate success, so you may end up posting multiple times
  • Lightbox close button doesn't work in some browsers
  • "Save changes" button doesn't work in some cases when editing posts
  • If you skip a required field when creating a topic, rather than showing you an error message, it loses your post altogether.
  • Excessive blank lines when creating/editing posts
  • Latest posts from the Hub doesn't take you to the latest post anymore
  • Can't view who liked something anymore

Bear with us!

Comments

• We're pretty much there now, all known bugs have been fixed or are being finished now.  :D
  • edited March 2013
    Quoting a post seems terribly broken right now.  Doesn't specify who posted the quote anymore, and the interface for doing it is quite odd.  Maybe that's intentional?
  • Yep, there does still seem to be a bug there.  The actual quote appears, but there is no credit along with it, to indicate who you are quoting.  The interface seemed fine to me though  - can you clarify what the issue was there, Aculag?
  • edited March 2013
    I guess the interface is fine, it just seemed wrong because it doesn't show who you're quoting.  I also only saw it for the first time just then, so maybe the newness threw me.
  • When I tried to edit a post earlier to change a video link, it refused to save the post with the updated link.  I just made a second post instead.
  • DanielGWoodDanielGWood Staff
    edited March 2013
    I guess the interface is fine, it just seemed wrong because it doesn't show who you're quoting.  I also only saw it for the first time just then, so maybe the newness threw me.

I'm afraid there's nothing we can do about that, the clunky quoting on the new editor is here to stay.

When I tried to edit a post earlier to change a video link, it refused to save the post with the updated link.  I just made a second post instead.

ES Pictures - what happened specifically, did the post not save at all, or did it save but somehow break the video link? Can you tell me which thread this was on?
    Win Conway - I'll look into that, thanks!

• I'm afraid there's nothing we can do about that, the clunky quoting on the new editor is here to stay.

Well, as long as it works, no worries, and it seems to work fine now.
  • Yeah, it seems that the citation isn't shown in the editor, but does still appear in the outputted post (though it's not shown on the AJAX preview - that particular part is more likely to be fixable).
    There are a few things I don't like about the new rich text editor, along with some that I actually prefer, either way it's kinda moot - the vendors of the forum software have chosen to stop developing/shipping their own version, and have moved to this one.
  • edited March 2013
    ES Pictures - what happened specifically, did the post not save at all, or did it save but somehow break the video link? Can you tell me which thread this was on?

My last couple entries on the ES Pictures production thread:
    http://community.hitfilm.com/index.php?/topic/2627-earth-shattering-pictures-production-thread/page-2
    I left a link to my latest youtube video.  But then I woke up the next morning and realized that I forgot to change the blend mode back on a neon glow effect (one of those "D'oh, Doug" moments).  So I uploaded a fixed version of the YouTube video.  But when I tried to edit my post to change the one video link to another, it refused to show up as a video when I saved it.  It just showed up as a blue link.  So I just left the video as a new entry instead.

• Hm, having difficulty replicating that one! Two more issues we're aware of:
    Styling in emails sent by the Forums is a little broken
    This will be fixed soon.
    Nobody seems to be receiving notifications of replies to topics any more
    This is a bug in the forum software that the creators have made no effort to fix. They renamed a few of the notification settings as part of the upgrade, and didn't copy over the old settings. What I've done to remedy this is turn it on for everyone. Those who don't want the notifications will have to opt-out again (sorry!).
    You can view your notification settings here: http://community.hitfilm.com/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=core&area=notifications
  • These issues should also now be resolved.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment