Impatient Procrastinators Visual Effects.

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Nice! Looking forward to it! 

• @spydurhank ; Standing by for blow-away imagery. ;)

Sounds like you've been busy, sir.

• Didn't intend to stay away this long- personal crap and work are getting in the way. @spydurhank - fantastic stuff as always! Ihope you put together a dogfight scene to show off the models. They are sooooooo well done. You should try marketing them on some model sites.....make a little dough.

• @StormyKnight thanks, same here, or I'd have posted some pics already... mostly sleep. I'm just putting the models into a 3D studio for now, I'll do the particle stuff in a few days.

• Wow, got super sidetracked, my lady hurt her elbow so,..

Here is something quick and nasty but I kinda really like it. I've posted this model before but I re-textured it along with all the others. More coming soon...

• Same model as above with worn and washed out textures.

• @spydurhank  Incredible detailing as always.  

• @spydurhank - The washed out look is a little too.........lavender(?) for my taste......but it's still an impressive sight! So if you were to grunge it up a bit, would you add i.e. burn marks and/or dents in the texture itself or would you have to paint right on the model?

Elbows are nothing to mess with. Get well soon, Mrs. spydurhank!

Spydurhank again, model looks good. I'll agree with StormyKnight that some gunge and dirt would help with the "washed" texture. Right now it's just trim for lilac squadron. 

Hope the elbow is ok. Joint injuries suck. 

• @Triem23 - LOL- Lilac squadron. That sounds like one I would end up on.

@StormyKnight don't mess with lilac squadron, they'll shoot you down, and smell fantastic doing it! 

• edited April 2017

Hey guys, c'mon now... purple is for bruises... you know? for my ladies purple elbow. Na the spec map was inverted or something and my light settings were accidentally turned up, that's why the model looks weird, user error is all. Whoops.

I really am interested in knowing if there really is a Lilac Squadron... I call dibs!!! :)

EDIT

@StormyKnight yup, if the ship was "Damaged" it'd have oil leaks/streaks/dents/burn marks. I'll post some close ups of the 8K model later on. There are dents and scratches in the Normal map and also dirt and grime in the Color map.

I'm going for a tarnished Sandblasted look. As if these Ships are just old and worn/sun bleached. No rust or oil leaks... oil leaks are messy in outer space and Rust just doesn't jive in space either. :)

As far as I know there is no Lilac Squadron. There is a Violet Squadron, but it's Y-wings.

Rust COULD  "jive" on an X-wing... It's just oxidization of the metal... Depends on how long the fighter has been in service and how much time it's spent in an atmosphere. But we'll assume that any pilot worth his ship isn't going to let that happen. Rust implies degrading structural integrity.... Still, Luke's X-wing that got taken to Dagobah, immersed in a swamp, then flown to Bespin where it was left behind... That sucker could be rusting for all we know.

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

Lilac Squadron is from a crossover with the Marvel Universe and under the control of the Mauve Hand

@Aladdin4d not Mauve'bib? 

Yes, yes, that's a super obscure reference to "National Lampoon's Doon." I don't expect anyone to get it. 

@Aladdin4d well played. Wasn't sure of the relevance until the tag line... 

And now everybody else that reads this thread is going to go WTF?

edited April 2017

@Aladdin4d or they'll look up Natlamp's "Doon."

I need to dig that out and have my wife read it. She looks at me funny when I occasionally say, "Better to me a woman drinking beer without a head than to be a man without a head drinking beer without a woman!" She's a bartender, so she gets to hear me say that on occasion.l

• @Triem23  True story!  When I read your post I read it as mauve'dib and thought you were referencing Dune.  It wasn't until the comment after that I understood.  I never saw that Lampoon, I guess.

'There should be a psychology of feet. For do we not make decisions with our legs, and walk about on our brains? What do you mean, "No, not really,"?'

• edited April 2017

@Triem23  "...don't mess with lilac squadron, they'll shoot you down, and smell fantastic doing it!"

Instead of lasers it squirts fragrance? I wonder if it's made by Glade.

@Spydurhank Cool! Can't wait to see the worn look at it's fullest. And using your brides bruise? Pretty weenie..........or you're just whipped.  ;^)

And nope- I didn't get the "Doon" reference.

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator
    edited April 2017

No wonder I've been grumpy since 35.

(And oh, yeah . . .  @spydurhank . . . your work rocks!)

• edited April 2017

@Stargazer54 Thank you! :)

Got a tad sidetracked, Went to pick up Dad in laws Rolls from the shop, came home to a deceased cat... still have one cat and one dog left... very suspicious as to which of the two may have done it. No blood or punctures.

Also... dog smiled at me... huge freakin' grin as I came in the door. Gotta watch my back... I may be next. Will post pics soon!

p.s.

Pics of my ships... not the dead cat.

Later

Frank

• Poor kitty. You really think one of the other critters did the cat in? Could have been a heart attack or stroke. (?)

• @StormyKnight That's what it looked like, cat was nineteen.

Sorry about the kitty. Although 19 is a very good age for a cat to reach. 

I think the dog just knows you're older than 19.

• edited April 2017

I don't know if it's true or not, but I have no reason to doubt my vet, who says she has a cat that's 26!!!!! I met a cat that was 22 once. She was kind of feeble and didn't get around very well. I can't even imagine one that's 26. Holy cats-a-roni!!!

• Here are some more texture examples.

Clean-ish color texture.

Worn/Dirty color texture.

Specular map "each texture has own unique maps with slight variations.

The Spec map along with lighting and reflections controls the look of

the ship.

For the "Clean" Textures, In HitFilm Pro, you should play with the material settings to control how much of the wear and grime you want to show through. You can have it look clean or really worn so you'll get really great results because my Spec maps are not a plain high contrast of black and white, there are lots of grays and variations in the black to white scheme.  Here are examples of playing with HF material settings with the worn texture from above.

Posting a few more then starting a storyboard. :)

•  Same model as above with two more texture sets. These are in 2K.

Clean-ish Color Texture.

Worn/Dirty Color Texture.

Specular map.

Clean textures made to appear worn via the Specular map.

Worn Textures.

Sign in to comment