Masks, Planes & 2D Objects

I've got a few questions with regards to masks, planes and 2D objects moving in 3D
Do object masks exist in HitFilm, I've not found a way of using a layer/object as the mask for another layer. Is this in and I've just over looked it or is it something that could be added in the future? Also is there any way to give a plane depth so that it become 3 dimensional instead of 2D?
In the reflection tutorial the cloud effect was used to grade the plane, will it ever be possible to apply a texture to a plane? Also will there ever be tube, sphere and other shaped planes that can also hopefully be textured?
Is there any easy way of having a 2D object always face the camera? Especially when the 2D object is linked to a 3D point that is spinning round. At the moment I can get the 2D object to always face the camera by have the opposite motion applied on the same axis the 3d point in moving on, but this seems to become really complex if the 3D point is moving on all 3 axes at the same time.
Thanks
koradin

Comments

• Great questions, Koradin. I'll do my best to answer them for you.
    Do object masks exist in HitFilm, I've not found a way of using a layer/object as the mask for another layer. Is this in and I've just over looked it or is it something that could be added in the future?

In the Keying tools there is an effect called "Set Matte" - apply this to a layer, and it allows you to apply the matte of another layer to the the one you are working on, very similar to the object masks in VisionLab. If you want to use the matte from a 3D effect, you will need to convert it to a Composite Shot first, to flatten it to 2D.
    Also is there any way to give a plane depth so that it become 3 dimensional instead of 2D?

There are two things you might mean here. The first would be converting a plane to an object in 3D space, which is as easy as switching its Dimension icon from 2D to 3D on the timeline. Then the object can be moved around and rotated in 3D space. But I suspect what you mean is the second option, where you would convert the plane into a cube, which would actually have measurements in all three directions within 3D space. This isn't possible at present, but there is a way around it. In fact, Koradin cleverly did something quite similar in a video that was featured on the HitFilm Blog this morning:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNRwhXmLbA4&feature=player_embedded
    What he did was create 6 planes, oriented as sides of the cube, and parented them all to a point inside the cube, so they could easily be moved as one unit. Not quite as convenient as it would be to have 3D primitives available, but it does the trick.
    In the reflection tutorial the cloud effect was used to grade the plane, will it ever be possible to apply a texture to a plane? Also will there ever be tube, sphere and other shaped planes that can also hopefully be textured?

A textured plane can be created as simply as importing the texture image you want, and converting it to 3D. Bam, its a plane. As far as primitive shapes, like spheres and cylinders, once you start creating primitives and texturing them, that sounds like 3D modeling, which isn't really where Hitfilm is focused. Maybe some day we will see 3D primitives as an option, but there isn't anything specific scheduled for it at this time.
    Is there any easy way of having a 2D object always face the camera? Especially when the 2D object is linked to a 3D point that is spinning round. At the moment I can get the 2D object to always face the camera by have the opposite motion applied on the same axis the 3d point in moving on, but this seems to become really complex if the 3D point is moving on all 3 axes at the same time.

A 2D object will always face the camera. You have to convert it to a 3D plane before you can get it to not face the camera. If you want to align a 3D object so it is always facing the camera, in the Layer Properties, set the Alignment to "Towards Active Camera" and that should do it.

• In fact, Koradin cleverly did something quite similar in a video that was featured on the HitFilm Blog this morning:

I think he may know about this :P
  • I'll start playing with the Set Matte and see what I can do.
    I was referring to the second option of 3 dimensional planes/objects, cuboid shaped planes are fairly easy using the 6 plane technique :) but I was hoping to be able to create more complex shapes, possibly using set matte from my first question I have to go have a play with it.
    I don't think I'd even noticed the Alignment to "Towards Active Camera" option, thats something I'll need to start using. Especially when applying movement to the camera.
    Thanks for the quick response Axel.
  • Hehe, good catch MikeQ76. I spent so long typing out that answer that I forgot who I was talking to. Sorry about referring yourself to your won effect Koradin, I just wasn't paying attention.
  • No need to apologise :)
    Am flattered that you thought of that as a potential answer, it's my one good idea for the year, triggered by Tarn's animation rig tutorial.
  • I figured you need to occasionally be reminded of your own brilliance. :)
    The exciting thing for me about seeing videos like that one of yours, is imagining how many other clever and innovative possibilities are out there for what can be done with the software, that nobody has even thought of yet. The potential of HitFilm is still virtually untapped.
  • Thank you :)
    The potential of hit film is so ridiculous is insane, ages ago I remember saying on the indy mogul forums that vision lab was only limited by your imagination. But HitFilm lets you take your imagination to a whole new level.

Sign in to comment