MP4 Rendering issue + MP4 Playback issue

Hello there,
I have the activated standard version and tried to export to an MP4 file.
When the rendering was finished the following message popped up: "Failed to mix samples on frame 7188", but the file was nevertheless saved.
I then tried to play this saved file but my Windows Media Player replied:
"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file." My Quicktime player also refused to playback that file.
Questions:
1) Is that error message after the rendering serious? What caused it and how to avoid it?
2) What do I need to do in order to playback those Hitfilm-exported files on my computer?
Btw, I have Windows 7 Home 64Bit installed.
Thanks for answering.

Comments

• The crash always happens after or at 100% rendered.
    Btw, the following is my computer specs:
    Motherboard: ASROCK 880GMH-USB3
    CPU: AMD X4 Phenom 3.2GHz
    RAM: 4GB
    Video Card: MSI GTS250 1GB
    Sound_card: Realtek on-board
    Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500GB
  • I suspect from the mention of samples, that the error is related to the audio render. What format is your audio in, when you import it into HitFilm?
    As far as getting the rendered files to play, most likely the error is preventing the rendered files from getting finalized, so WMP is unable to read them. Once we clear up the error, you should be able to render properly and the files will play correctly.
  • edited July 2011

I suspect from the mention of samples, that the error is related to the audio render. What format is your audio in, when you import it into HitFilm?
    As far as getting the rendered files to play, most likely the error is preventing the rendered files from getting finalized, so WMP is unable to read them. Once we clear up the error, you should be able to render properly and the files will play correctly.

Thanks for the reply.
    The video clips are from a Canon 600D, so the audio format is 44.1kHz Mono (Internal Mic), Linear PCM. But: I deleted the audio timeline from the original video clips and replaced them with a background music timeline. This background music is an MP3 file in 16 bit stereo, sample rate 48000Hz. I just tried to render without audio and Hitfilm was able to render and export and the file was playable, but the clip ran for more than 4 minutes although the clip is just 10 seconds. Yet another bug in Hitfilm?
    It's hard to believe I paid for something that I can't use at all and it's obviously neither my computer's nor my camera's fault. Am I sponsoring your R&D or what?

When will you release that patch to solve the problems????!!!!
  • We haven't had any other reports of this problem occurring, Heckler, so we will need some more details to identify what is happening on your computer.
    Are you able to upload the rendered video file so we can take a look at it? If you could send us the project file in question and the original video it would also be useful. If the files are under 50MB you can use http://upload.fxhome.com.
    To clarify: you replaced the audio in HitFilm, on the editor sequence timeline? You didn't use any other software to change the audio?
  • edited July 2011

We haven't had any other reports of this problem occurring, Heckler, so we will need some more details to identify what is happening on your computer.
    Are you able to upload the rendered video file so we can take a look at it? If you could send us the project file in question and the original video it would also be useful. If the files are under 50MB you can use http://upload.fxhome.com.
    To clarify: you replaced the audio in HitFilm, on the editor sequence timeline? You didn't use any other software to change the audio?

My files are bigger than 50MB, but I try to find a way to send you something. And yes, I only replaced the audio data within HitFilm, no external modification etc.
    Just to let you know there is also a problem with video files from my other camera, a Sanyo Xacti VPC-HD2000. So, it's not just my Canon 600D now, although the problem is a little different:
    I put just one short video clip from my above-mentioned Sanyo camera onto the timeline and rendered it to MP4 which was done by HitFilm without error message, but neither Windows Media Player nor Quicktime were able to play the rendered file. The original file of my Sanyo has the following properties:
    Video: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 (1080P/30fps), Audio: 48KHz, 16Bit, 2ch, AAC-LC
    The error messages from the WMP and Quicktime:
    WMP:
    Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.
    Quicktime:
    Error-2048: Couldn't open the file filename.mp4 because it is not a file that QuickTime understands.

How can you market a product with so many substantial flaws???
    This is obviously a pre-production beta version, but I paid you guys US$164 without getting any value for my hard earned money. I expect a very soon solution to my problems!
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator
    edited July 2011
    I'm sorry that you have encountered this problem. However, we haven't actually had anybody else report this problem. There have been hundreds of successful exports from HitFilm since its release a couple of weeks ago, this is the first time we've had anybody report this issue. This could mean the problem is specific to your particular setup.
    If you could send us the exported MP4 that you mention in your last post (the one you exported using the Sanyo clip in HitFilm) it's be hugely useful. You can use a service like https://wetransfer.com/ to send large files, although the exported MP4 might be small enough for our own uploader?
    Once we're able to look at the file we'll be able to start pinpointing what the problem is.
  • edited July 2011

I'm sorry that you have encountered this problem. However, we haven't actually had anybody else report this problem. There have been hundreds of successful exports from HitFilm since its release a couple of weeks ago, this is the first time we've had anybody report this issue. This could mean the problem is specific to your particular setup.
    If you could send us the exported MP4 that you mention in your last post (the one you exported using the Sanyo clip in HitFilm) it's be hugely useful. You can use a service like https://wetransfer.com/ to send large files, although the exported MP4 might be small enough for our own uploader?
    Once we're able to look at the file we'll be able to start pinpointing what the problem is.

I just tried something and it seems to render and play for both my Canon and my Sanyo files okay now.
    I just wonder why you didn't hint me to this:
    It's about the position of the "In" and "Out" markers on top of the timeline. Why do I have to position them manually?
    I didn't know this, because my previous non-linear editor could automatically detect where the composition starts and ends. Anyways, I noticed these two markers on top of the timeline and moved the "Out" marker to where my composition ends (why doesn't the marker snap right to the end of my last media clip?). I then rendered okay and could play the file with the Windows Media Player.
  • The position of your in and out markers shouldn't have any effect on the Windows Media Player playback issues. Did you change any other export settings?
    You can also press the 'P' key on the keyboard to easily set the in and out points to your timeline's content.
  • Hey, glad to hear you got things working. When you create a composite shot you specifically assign it a duration, it is one of the options that is set when you create it. If you create it from an object on the Editor, or a layer in another composite, it will automatically assume the duration of that object, but if you create it from scratch, then HitFilm assumes that you have set that length for specific reason. Therefore, it doesn't change things on you automatically, but makes shifting the in or out point any time you need to as simple as one keystroke.
    Rendering blank space beyond the last object on the timeline still shouldn't cause errors though, and we will definitely look into that. Your files would still be useful, as I've just re-tested rendering out past the end of the media on my machine, and everything works correctly. I tried rendering both directly from the composite and from the editor, and setting the Export to both work area only and to entire timeline, and the renders all play correctly. But once we get your file, we will look into what might be causing the issue in your case right away.

Sign in to comment