nVidia GTX260 vs GTX560

Hi@all !
I run presently a GeForce GTX260 (768 MB RAM). It's ok for playing around a bit but I recognize in complexe scenes massiv slowdowns.
Question 1: I think Hitfilm benefits from GPU power at all, am I right ?
Question 2: Will there be a significant performance boost if I exchange my old gfx-card to a GTX560 (1 GB) ?
My Computer specs as follows:
AMD Phenom II X6 CPU
8 GB RAM
GeForce GTX260
Windows 7 64bit

Comments

• AdyAdy Staff

Hi@all !
    I run presently a GeForce GTX260 (768 MB RAM). It's ok for playing around a bit but I recognize in complexe scenes massiv slowdowns.
    Question 1: I think Hitfilm benefits from GPU power at all, am I right ?
    Question 2: Will there be a significant performance boost if I exchange my old gfx-card to a GTX560 (1 GB) ?
    My Computer specs as follows:
    AMD Phenom II X6 CPU
    8 GB RAM
    GeForce GTX260
    Windows 7 64bit

Hi Nuwanda,
    Sorry you've been having problems with the software. With regards to the slow down you are experiencing, could you detail exactly what you were editing when the slowdown occurred? For example what footage were you using .mp4, .mov... etc. Or what 3D Effects were you using Bonfire, Particle Simulator... etc?
    It might be worth updating your graphics card drivers if you haven't done so already. Details can be found here
    1. HitFilm Renders on the GPU but that doesn't mean that having the best graphics card will always give you the best performance.
    2. The GTX 260 should be more than capable of running HItFilm, you will see a performance increase if you were to buy the 560 GTX. But in my opinion you would be better off looking at the 480 GTX as this out performs the 560 GTX by a significant margin. I'm sure the price difference isn't too much either, the 480 GTX is about £50 more expensive here in the UK & well worth the extra cash for the performance increase. I have posted a link here of 3D Benchmarking for your current card. You can see here that the 480 GTX is 3rd whilst the 560 GTX is 13th.
    Thanks
    Ady
  • edited July 2011
    Good evening Ady,
    thanks for your reply.
    1st to say that I love working with Hitfilm - it's a great piece of software.
    You can download a screenshot of my project here if it might helps you:
    www.softworxs.de/download/missile.jpg
    Here is also the final clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH2gFQ2RNK8
    In my eyes its the Plasma Shockwave effect which gives me the slowdowns.
    Pleased to hear...
  • Hey Nuwanda! I have a GTX260 at home and I've found it performs nicely with HitFilm. Certainly something like a GTX470 will be faster (that's what I have at work), but I'm not planning to upgrade my home GPU for a while yet.
    We released an update this afternoon that improves media handling, so make sure you get that to see if it makes a difference. I've found it makes a HUGE difference at home, especially when working with video from a Canon 60D. We have some more optimizations on the way that we're currently working on, so I'd recommend waiting until you can try those out before spending money on a new GPU.
  • edited July 2011
    Hi Simon,
    thanks for the reply & info.
    I installed the update but without any change in the performance at all. But I must repeat that it's only the "Blue Plasma Shockwave" effect from the presets which slow down the composite shot.
    So it leads to another question: What makes e.g. the Plasma Effect being such a performance monster ?? @-)
  • Yeah, today's update won't affect 3D effects, the optimizations were specifically for media handling. However, we do have some more optimizations on the way that might affect other aspects of the software, so I'd still recommend waiting a few weeks to see if it makes a difference - well, unless you have lots of money and want to spend it, of course. :D
  • Ahhh ... ok - got it now ! And well - I guess I will wait for the next updates to come :))

Sign in to comment