Laptops that run Hitfilm (help needed)

I have been looking for a good laptop for under $401 that will run HitFilm Ultimate well, as i plan to utlimately buy it sometime after. I've found a couple Acer's, as I really want an Acer, that specs seem to meet the requirements. Did I overlook something? Do they have everything to run Hitfilm? I dont want to buy an incompatible laptop. If they aren't, can someone suggest one around my price point that does?
My picks:
Laptop 1
Laptop 2

Thanks ahead of time,
SGM

Comments

• edited July 2011
    Neither of those has a graphics cards powerful enough to meet the HitFilm minimum spec, sorry. You'll need a graphics card with at least 512MB of onboard RAM. The full requirements for HitFilm are listed here.
  • It has 4GB shared RAM memory. 256 for system. That doesnt work?
  • edited July 2011
    Unfortunately, no. You need at least 512MB of dedicated video memory for Hitfilm. Which I suspect is going to be tricky to find within your budget, generally machines set up for powerful video editing will run in higher price ranges than that. I hope you do find something that will work for you, though.
  • http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215120 (i couldnt make it link)
    I found that this laptop has 512mb dedicated and quad core.
  • That one looks like it it will work, to me, but I'm not really an expert when it comes to the hardware, so i want to check with some of the other guys before I confirm that it will work. As far as I can tell that particular graphics card is right around the minimum spec, so I want to make sure that it is just above minimum, rather than just below. The other guys won't be back in the office until tomorrow, though, so it will be a few hours before we get back to you.
  • SGMSGM
    edited July 2011
    Thanks, I just found that this one is the recommended so that way I can persue better projects. Unless its not supported. It has 1g video memory dedicated.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215105
    Thanks for your help.
  • AdyAdy Staff
    edited July 2011

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215120 (i couldnt make it link)
    I found that this laptop has 512mb dedicated and quad core.

Hi SGM,
    The Laptop you have linked to here has an AMD HD 6470M graphics card which is comparable to the AMD HD 5470 but slightly faster. This card is below the minimum requirements for HitFilm. The software may launch, but you will encounter issues when rendering as the card isn't supported.

Thanks, I just found that this one is the recommended so that way I can persue better projects. Unless its not supported. It has 1g video memory dedicated.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215105
    Thanks for your help.

This card actually comes below the AMD HD 6470M you posted above in benchmarking tests, so unfortunately again this card may run the software but you are likely to encounter issues when rendering. I have enclosed a link here that details benchmarking for notebook cards that may help you decide what card is right for you & within your budget.
    Hope this helps
    Ady
  • SGMSGM
    edited July 2011
    Apparently Im looking at $700 minimum. I have access to an older custom build desktop gaming style PC with a 1gb Niv. GeForce 7900GT. I know its the minimum, but if all the processing and Ram is correct, would it have to much trouble rendering? (I would like to use it until I buy the new laptop.)
  • Yeah, if the other specs meet the minimum as well, than it should serve well until you can get a new machine. As the software is optimized and updated over the coming weeks, performance across the board, on all systems, will improve, so give the demo a try on that desktop system and see if it works acceptably for you. If so, rest assured that performance will only get better as time passes.
  • Thanks so much. Finally I get my hands on the software. I have only one gig of RAM in right now but have some to install in the next day or so. Its a bit buggy but, for an older PC it runs better than my current laptop. Great software. Once I get the update installed and the RAM in, I'll have even better luck.

Sign in to comment