Script for importing camera from Anime Studio Pro

Don't know if there's any overlap between Anime Studio and HitFilm users, but since I use Anime Studio and wanted to transfer camera movements to HitFilm I tried my best to make sense of Maya files and wrote this script for Anime Studio: ds_file_to_maya.zip
I don't have Maya so I haven't tested it there, but it seems to work in HitFilm:
[img]http://animestudioscripts.com/temp/hitfilm.gif[/img]
Two things:
Unfortunately you can't use both X and Y rotation of the camera at the same time since Anime Studio uses local coordinates (or something like that), and I haven't figured out how to compensate for that.
Layer positions in Anime Studio will be exported as points with the same name as the layer, but if you have a space in the name only the part before the space will show up. (Is this a limitation of Maya files or HitFilm?)

Comments

• Hey Dauid, thanks for that! I don't use Anime Studio myself, but making that script available is likely to be of use to some other users down the road. We appreciate you taking the time to figure some of that stuff out, then sharing your results.
  • I tried redoing an old shot that looked like this:
    :)
  • Really clever! Congratulations :D
  • Wow! I do use Anime Studio so this is of great interest to me :) Your shot looks great.
  • DannyDevDannyDev Staff
    edited July 2011
    I know the chap who created Anime Studio (it used to be called Moho and was sold by Lost Marble software before it was bought out). He created a lot of quirky software like sPatch and Mechanisto.
    Cool to see it being used with HitFilm :D
  • That's right. Mike Clifton is still the main guy. I've been using VisionLab with Moho/Anime Studio for a long time but hoping to swap entirely over to HitFilm soon when I get my hardware sorted out.

• That's right. Mike Clifton is still the main guy. I've been using VisionLab with Moho/Anime Studio for a long time but hoping to swap entirely over to HitFilm soon when I get my hardware sorted out.

Is Mike still involved with AS? I thought he sold the IP.
    Mike wrote an impressive modelling+rendering+animation program called Mechanisto for the Mac back in the day (1995! Has it been that long?!). I wrote a lot a tutorials for it. I also talked to him quite a bit about a new version of the program I was working on (on hold for now but I plan to pick it up again). Then he did sPatch which lead to all that legal nastiness with another developer who felt he'd copied them and he vanished for a while before setting up Lost Marble.
    Great guy, very talented.

Sign in to comment