Image Size issue

Evening
I resized an image in Photoshop to 1280x720 and then created a new project in Hitfilm with the same properties. I found though when exporting I got a black box shape round my video frame (see attached) and my FX roamed outside the cityscape image and went onto the black box outline. Any idea where I went wrong and how I can resolve this..?
Many thanks for any advice you can give.
Cheers
Jay

Comments

• It seems that maybe you exported in 1080p and not 720p because this looks like a 720p image in the middle of a 1080p frame.
  • edited July 2011
    I'd go back to the Project screen and double-check the resolution of your project.
    I just did a test where i crated a 1280x720 image in Photoshop, then made a 720p 29.97 project and added the image, and all worked well, so the software seems to be handling things correctly. If the project settings still look correct, click the gear icon next to the image name in the Media panel and double-check the resolution of the image. If both of them look ok, let us know and we'll examine this further.
  • Not that I was having troubles but I update because I have a GTX 480.
    Since then every time I import video files at 1280 x 720 they are coming in stretched out...more like 1280 x 600.
    I have checked my template settings, all good.
    I have unistalled and reinstalled but still no luck.
    When I import the file, even the top left hand preview pane, that shows the file name indicates that the video is strecthed.
    Open to any ideas, been playing for a while now and cant seem to fix it.
    is it possible for the future to have a reset to defaults button, its always a good way to check possible changes.
  • edited July 2011
    Just to add...
    I have opened up a saved scene that was fine prior to this issue and the same distortion has occurred.
    EDIT: Getting even stranger:
    workflow: I will render out from my 3D applications as an AVI file. I then use AVS Video converter to create an MPEG file. This is where it gets strange, some of my older animations at 1280 x 720 are working fine, but if I add one of my newer files into the same timeline I get the stretching effect.
    I didn't haven't this problem until the update and now she wont go away even after a second clean install.

Cheers Ady
  • Laticis - have you checked that you have the latest drivers installed for your video card?
  • Thanks for your replies guys. Got it all sorted. The issue was that the main template size was correct but the details of my Composite shot were all wrong. Matched them together and all now sorted..
    Thanks again for your help
    Jay
  • Awesome, glad it was an easy fix.

• Laticis - have you checked that you have the latest drivers installed for your video card?

Hi Axel,
    No, but I did think about it. The last time I updated with a NVidia release I had some very serious issues with my PC, to the point where I had to enter safe mode, unistall all the NVidia drivers and the reinstall the latest GTX driver from MSI, not from NVidia ( before that I was always good when it came to updating)
    Been too scraed to try again, but in this case I will give it shot...hopefully it will fix the issue.
    Thanks Axel,
    Cheers Ady
  • Update:
    Just installed latest driver NVidia 275.33
    still have the same issue, some of the older MPEG files will import to scale newer files import with the bounding box to scale but the images are squashed with a black bar running top at bottom.
    System i7960 / GTX 480 / 12 gig ram / Win7 64 Ult
    Any thoughts welcome, can send screen shots if required.
  • Update:
    Rendered scene from Carrara - Output AVI 1280 x 720, then used AVS to convert to MPEG 1280 x 720
    Both files will play in media players to correct proportions.
    In HitFilm I imported both files...AVI imports fine, the MPEG imports quashed.
    I think, what ever happened with the latest updated has affected how HitFilm handles my MPEG files.
    Is there a way to completely delete/uninstall/clean Hitfilm from my system so I can go back to the original version.
    If required files can be sent for testing.
  • AdyAdy Staff

Update:
    Rendered scene from Carrara - Output AVI 1280 x 720, then used AVS to convert to MPEG 1280 x 720
    Both files will play in media players to correct proportions.
    In HitFilm I imported both files...AVI imports fine, the MPEG imports quashed.
    I think, what ever happened with the latest updated has affected how HitFilm handles my MPEG files.
    Is there a way to completely delete/uninstall/clean Hitfilm from my system so I can go back to the original version.
    If required files can be sent for testing.

Hi Laticis,
    Sorry for the trouble you've been experiencing, would you be able to upload your MPEG footage for us here:
    http://upload.fxhome.com/ (Only accepts up to 50MB so please trim the footage if it's too large)
    I'll look at it once I have the footage
    Many Thanks
    Ady
  • Hi Ady,
    will do right away....
    Dont meet too many Ady's around..
    Cheers Ady (Laticis)
    Full name Adriano
  • Hi Ady,
    4.44mb uploaded.
    I sent the quick test I did tonight.
    If other files hadn't been working correctly with the first version I would have pegged it to the File Converter, but I set up a scene with Victoria 4 head bopping around and use HitFilm to add flashes and sparkles.
    Worked a treat, but now the scene and the same file has the problems outlined above.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv4EtegA5ig
    Cheers Laticis
  • AdyAdy Staff

Hi Ady,
    will do right away....
    Dont meet too many Ady's around..
    Cheers Ady (Laticis)
    Full name Adriano

Hi Ady,
    I have taken a look at your footage, and it seems the converter in which you used has converted the footage in to a non-square 0.75:1 pixel aspect ratio. This is why when imported the footage looks squashed. If you convert the footage again, but to square pixels this should solve the problem.
    Hope this helps
    Thanks
    Ady
  • Hi Ady,
    Thanks for the heads up, will look into the converter at my end.
    This is the one I use:
    http://www.avs4you.com/AVS-Video-Converter.aspx?sct=inc&ct=google&cid=67&gclid=CPX3j4nC-akCFcgCHAod3VYQXA
    Cheers Laticis
  • AdyAdy Staff

Hi Ady,
    Thanks for the heads up, will look into the converter at my end.
    This is the one I use:
    http://www.avs4you.com/AVS-Video-Converter.aspx?sct=inc&ct=google&cid=67&gclid=CPX3j4nC-akCFcgCHAod3VYQXA
    Cheers Laticis

No worries at all, happy to help. Do get in touch if you encounter any further issues though.
    Thanks
    Ady
  • Sweet, all good :)
    Changed the Input Video Aspect Ratio from Original to 16:9.....converted and tested....AOK
    Your time and help is much appreciated.
    Cheers and Thanks
    Laticis
  • AdyAdy Staff

Sweet, all good :)
    Changed the Input Video Aspect Ratio from Original to 16:9.....converted and tested....AOK
    Your time and help is much appreciated.
    Cheers and Thanks
    Laticis

No problem at all, I'm here to help. Glad you are all sorted now.
    Have a good day
    Ady

Sign in to comment