PFHoe Discontinued - but its good news! (maybe)

The Pixel Farm announced today that PFHoe, the low-cost version of their tracking software has reached its End of Life. But this is good news for current users of PFHoe, in some respects, as now you can cross-grade to their much more powerful product, PFMatchIt, which is significantly more powerful, which has a lot more options to help in getting a successful track. For a limited time, users of PFHoe Pro can cross-grade to PFMatchIt for only $100, which is a pretty massive savings from the full cost of the program.
More info on the website: http://www.pfhoe.com/

Comments

• Whoa! I haven't followed PFHoe a whole lot, but I always though that it would be there when I was ready to make the jump up to 3D tracking. I can sort of understand their reasoning, but it still is a shock to me that they are going to stop selling it.
    I guess now the question for someone looking to get into 3D tracking is- do I buy the program now to hedge myself against having to invest in more expensive software down the line, or do I look into other products? It looks like if I buy the product they are upselling out right, it is 7 times more expensive. But I can still buy PFHoe until the end of the year- I wonder if their upgrade offer of $100 extra applies to purchases made after the announcement?
    From what I can gather, here are the alternatives to the soon to be late PFHoe:
    Boujou (starting at $10,000- OUCH!)
    PFMatchIt (Starting at $700- perhaps for a limited time, $200 ($100 + $100 limited time upgrade)
    SynthEyes (starting at $400)
    VooDoo (Free I suppose? But the site was a bit difficult to see in the program in action)
    Blender (Free)
    For people who've used them before, what are everyone's thoughts on these options? Are some vastly better in terms of effective tracks or ease of use? And HF Team, do these all create the right kind of point file for HitFilm to use?
  • In the details of the upgrade, it specifies that the upgrade only applies to license of PFHoe purchased prior to today. So you can't go buy it just to upgrade. But them, maybe another good option for 3D tracking will come along between now and when you decide to jump in.
    I've not used PFMatchIt yet, but it does seem to be comparable to Icarus, which was the predecessor of PFHoe. Back in the day, there was Icarus, a free for non-commercial use tracking program that was amazing. then it got bought out by The Pixel Farm, and turned into PFTrack, which was $1k+. So then The Pixel Farm released a super-basic version, in the form of PFHoe. The feature set of PFMatchIt looks to have a lot of the useful, more professional features that were left out of Hoe, so I'm excited to upgrade when I have the cash for it.
    I'm not experienced at all with any of the other tracking options, personally, so I can't evaluate them.
  • Yeah, I got that e-mail this morning. It looks like a lot of the most useful features though are in pftrack, e.g. recreating what's on the camera plate with simple geometry .obj files. I'd really love to have it, but $3300 is outside my budget.
  • Since I just dropped the money not even a year ago for pfhoe and I think they could offer the upgrade price a little cheaper than that. I hate it when companies do this stuff! :(
  • edited August 2012
    Wow, they offer an upgrade which is roughly 15% of the cost of the full product, and you still complain about the price? When they aren't even forcing you to upgrade, they are just offering a steal of a deal on dramatically better software? Wow.
  • I seriously recommend checking out Syntheyes. The interface takes a little to get used to, but it is a very robust and flexible application. It has all the features of PFTrack, but with a faster solver and cheaper price.
  • edited August 2012
    Is anybody else facing problems in using the upgrade from PFHoe to PFMatchIt @ PixelFarm ?
    I tried yesterday to do but cannot proceed.
    Issue 1:
    I opened a new user account thepixelfarm.co.uk for and received a "welcome mail". But while trying to login it won't work. I still cannot login. Clicking on "forget password" brings me to the following error message "Mail address invalid". But how can my mail address be invalid when I had received minutes before the welcome mail ??
    Issue 2:
    Following the links reg the PFHoe-Mail it brings me to the Update-Page where I can buy/upgrade to PFMatchIt. But everytime my credit card is not accepted. Ok - I know what you're thinking - it's overdrawn - but it is not. All is ok with this credit card.
    :(

• Wow, they offer an upgrade which is roughly 15% of the cost of the full product, and you still complain about the price? When they aren't even forcing you to upgrade, they are just offering a steal of a deal on dramatically better software? Wow.

From what I read, that PHfoe is not being upgraded no more, that is it for the program. I have not had it even a year paid full price and then I have to pay another 100 or 150, thats what is slightly irrates me about it. If I would have known a year ago that this was going to happen I would have never done it. From what I took from their message Phfoe is not being updated anymore.
    I guess their are other companies with a similiar product.
  • edited August 2012
    Software comes and goes all the time. Them stopping the development doesn't mean the program will stop working. Heck, 6 months ago my studio dropped $5500 on Naiad which was bought out by Autodesk last month and will no longer be developed, but we will continue using it because it still works damn fine. The same has happened to owners of previous FXHome software such as Vision Lab. It's the way the software industry works, there are no guarantees.
    It's your choice if you don't take up the super cheap upgrade cost, but you won't find another comparable product with the feature set of PFMatchIt for that price.
  • Yeah, the software you have will continue to work as well as it ever has for years if you choose not to upgrade. They are just generously giving you the option to instead, if you want to, upgrade to a vastly superior product at an 85% discount.
    You only have to pay an additional $100 IF you want to switch over to their $700 product. But they aren't forcing you to switch. They are giving you the option, if you want to. If you are annoyed at spending another $100, you can keep using the software you already have, for as long as you want.

• Yeah, the software you have will continue to work as well as it ever has for years if you choose not to upgrade. They are just generously giving you the option to instead, if you want to, upgrade to a vastly superior product at an 85% discount.
    You only have to pay an additional $100 IF you want to switch over to their $700 product. But they aren't forcing you to switch. They are giving you the option, if you want to. If you are annoyed at spending another $100, you can keep using the software you already have, for as long as you want.

As you know in this world of ever changing videos and electronics, all programs anymore almost have to have a new download to them to keep up... I will have to check into ot, at least they gave the option til Oct sometime!

• I seriously recommend checking out Syntheyes. The interface takes a little to get used to, but it is a very robust and flexible application. It has all the features of PFTrack, but with a faster solver and cheaper price.

$600 for SynthEyes is much more in my budget. I'll have to play with it a bit. Thanks for the recommendation.
  • PFMatchit is taking its place and its a 100 times better then PFHoe. If you bought PFHoe Pro its only $100 US to upgrade.

• Software comes and goes all the time. Them stopping the development doesn't mean the program will stop working. Heck, 6 months ago my studio dropped $5500 on Naiad which was bought out by Autodesk last month and will no longer be developed, but we will continue using it because it still works damn fine. The same has happened to owners of previous FXHome software such as Vision Lab. It's the way the software industry works, there are no guarantees.
    It's your choice if you don't take up the super cheap upgrade cost, but you won't find another comparable product with the feature set of PFMatchIt for that price.

I had vision lab for a few years before the HF came out, so that was no big deal.
  • I went to the Pfhoe and looked at the news about the matchit and logged into my account and found out that it said upgrade for 100 dollars expires dec 31, but has no year, has anyone else seen this? Thanks
  • I bought PFHoe Pro 2.2 for 199, but I really wanted the PFMatchit.
    The Matchit price was 700 which was too steep for my first migration into 3D matchmoving.
    Now I can upgrade to it for 100 bucks which is not a bad deal at all.
    Basically I will have paid $299 for a $700 product, which saved me 400.
    The matchit program has some cool new features I real am excited to try out.

• I had vision lab for a few years before the HF came out, so that was no big deal.

For you, perhaps, but there would have been other customers who bought closer to the end of the product's lifecycle. All commercial products have a lifecycle, such as when a major new version is released and the previous version is no longer actively developed. It's what we do with our products, such as with PhotoKey which is now on version 5 and usually gets a new version with major new features every year.
    The reason we do that is because it funds continual development of the software. Researching, developing and implementing major new features is a big job, especially given that we like to do BIG features for a new version.
    It's the same with hardware - when you buy an iPhone, you know that in a year-or-so there will be a newer, better version. When you buy a graphics card for your computer, you know that about 5 minutes later there will be a newer, cheaper, better version. But that doesn't really matter, because you buy stuff when you need it. If you don't need a product yet, wait until you do, as you might find a better deal. But the best time to buy a product is always when you need it, otherwise there will always be a reason to wait a little bit longer, to the extent that you never actually buy anything. :)

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment