Man of Steel (Trailer)

Must confess I've been skeptical about this since day one.. Superman is not an interesting character. However, the trailer doesn't actually look that bad!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-toIu5JscE
(Check out the LOTR theme music!)

Comments

• I saw the trailer before the dark knight rises. I shouted boo when I saw it. THe trailer doesn't make it look any different then Superman returns. Sure, they will probably cut out the types of comedy that christopher reeves brought to superman. I already am not a fan of them modifying the outfit and the logo again. Superman is like captain america... The classic tone will do just fine.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxExkyamwaw
  • That's one seriously uninspiring trailer.
    Bad, bad music choice. It's great music, of course, but including music from another genre film in the trailer for a major new franchise is a very, very daft idea.
    There's really nothing of interest to me here. :/
  • I don't really care for the trailers, but from what I know about the film, aside from that, I'm pretty excited for it.
  • Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.</gladiator>
    Rather dislike this trailer other than the last shot of him flying which is pretty cool. Using the music from one of the very best scenes in LOTR just destroys it for me.
    http://youtu.be/X8pWjiFxXkg?t=1m55s
  • Awfully strange feeling to this trailer. Doesn't motivate me to see the movie yet.
  • The contrails were an interesting choice. I guess it makes sense, though.
    I agree this is a very uninspiring teaser, and doesn't really make me excited at all. Hopefully a full trailer will make it look a bit more interesting.
  • I must be the only one who didn't recognize the music....

• That's one seriously uninspiring trailer.
    Bad, bad music choice. It's great music, of course, but including music from another genre film in the trailer for a major new franchise is a very, very daft idea.
    There's really nothing of interest to me here. :/

I have to agree, as trailers go, this is dull. The part where you see superman flying just looked silly and cheesy :S It should also be against the law to use LOTR music on anything other than LOTR.
  • The problem with the flying shot is that it's no different to anything in Superman Returns, so as a "wow!" shot, it just doesn't work. Which leaves the trailer being an overly serious voiceover with some pretty but dull shots.
  • edited July 2012
    Try to find the full trailer shown at Comic-Con. In that one there isn't any deadliest catch stuff. You see shots of superman standing in the arctic, being led away in handcuffs by the military, Clark saving a busload of kids, and Zod knocking Superman into the bank vault door.
    Also, I am working on a parody of the Man of Steel trailer / Superman Returns.
    Here's a sneak peak of it.
    http://youtu.be/VRopaw3tt3M

• The problem with the flying shot is that it's no different to anything in Superman Returns, so as a "wow!" shot, it just doesn't work. Which leaves the trailer being an overly serious voiceover with some pretty but dull shots.

I actually thought of the more recent shot in the Iron Man trailer at the end where he breaks the sound barrier.
  • Yes, good point. That is far more recent and similar. The point is that they really have to try harder to impress these days, when the competition is so much better.
  • i liked the music in the trailer, it may be telling us that this is going to have a different look/style from the superman films before.
  • I really feel like Superman is a concept that will never translate well as a "serious" film. I just don't care about his angst. Everyone would love to have the abilities of superman, so an uncertain, angsty and depressed superman just annoys me. I think the only reason the Reeves/Donner superman worked is because it was campy and fun.
    That being said, I really like Snyders previous work and I'm sure some of the action/effects shots will be cool, but I'll be passing on seeing this in the theater and save it for a rental.
  • I must be the least excited about this film or something, Tired of all these rebots of this movie. I wish they would stop, now a movie about the Borg from star trek, there we go..... I did start to write a story on where the borg came from, but the book company for star trek is a little to, well they dont like good ideas!
  • @Darth_ill... All the super hero characters have a place. Here is a break down of DC characters and the marvel movies they should be modeled after to create a justice league film.
    Superman - The Incredible Hulk. Why? The incredible hulk is the strongest character in the Marvel Universe and the latest movie gave a believeable challenge and tests of his strength and drama. Superman can be done exactly the same way. Im sure the military did not take to kindly to superman(an alien at first). Have lex luther whispering into the governments ear and arming them. Do not have lex as the main villian. Put someone to really test superman's physically. How about the Parasite and Darkseid? At the end Superman wins with the help of batman but of course but realizes that there are threats that even he will have trouble with and thinks of an idea of some sort of league..
    Wonderwoman - Captain America. Why? Captain America was from a different time and era. Wonderwoman grew up on a woman only island where she developed and became a woman. You would use some war as the main plot device. Maybe a soldier washes up on shore injured and Wonderwoman felt bad and wanted to help and wanted to know why do all this training and have all this power to do nothing. The war intensifies and Wonderwoman goes to help and save people. In the war she encounters superman and makes friends. At the end of the war she comes back to the island and gets banished for helping men. Wonderwoman runs into superman who tells her that
    Batman - Wolverine. Why? Wolverine has a sorted past that deals with a lot of pain and loss. THis batman would be based on the animated series batman where its acrobatic batman with all kinds of badguys like clayface, and man bat. This movie would be darker then Wolverine but with the same large cross over scale. THe fight between wolverine and the blob could be batman vs clayface(when hes trying to rob a bank). Does not need to be big stories on every person. The main bad guy could be working for Darkseid, and Batman tells robin that he needs to go to Metropolis to see "someone".
    Green Lantern - Thor. Why? Thor was this mystical movie that had beautiful mythical landscapes. Oa could easily be some beautiful landscape like from Thor. You place a new Jon Stewart on Oa learning to be a lantern. Going on the training missions out of Green lantern under the Kilawog. Have sinestro be the main villian and while chasing Sinestro Jon Stewart finds out information about a plot by Darkseid. THis sets Green Lantern to go back to earth to investigate the information on the plot.
    The Flash - Ironman. Why and how? Iron man was funny and cocky and thats what the Flash needs. No The Flash is not going to be a rich play boy, just a hot head ho is also a flirt. Jarvis would be a friend or someone to provide counsel... heck maybe the flash(wally west) would be getting talked to by an older flash. The badguy would be Gorilla Grod and maybe one of Darkseid's Henchmen. The Green Lantern(Jon Stewart) shows up when Darkseid's henchmen starts overwhelming the flash. You get some witty banter between the 2 because they are so different.
  • the latest movie gave a believeable challenge and tests of his strength and drama.

If you think The Avengers had any semblance of the term for 'drama', no less with the Hulk, I feel like I must have seen a different movie than you.
  • @Andrew... you kinda missed what i was talking about. I didn't say the Avengers movie. I was talking about the hulk movie. Each paragraph was how each DC character could be modeled after a Marvel movie.
  • I was just about to post that trailer. I love the scene where he kneels down and is about to fly. You start see the dust push away and also swirl up.
  • edited December 2012
    You start see the dust push away and also swirl up.

That's snow. Looks like he's coming from the Fortress of Solitude. Definitely a cool looking shot.
    I'm not completely sold on this yet. Looks like it'll have some good stuff in it, but it's still Superman. If Zack Snyder manages to do something interesting and engaging with the origin story that we've now seen at least twice before, I'll be extremely impressed. Right now, I'm apprehensive.
  • I liked the way the animated series did the origin story. They spent a lot of time on Krypton. They showed Jor-El trying to convince the Kryptonian council that the planet was going to destroy itself. And Brainiac was telling the council that everything was fine. Jor-El confronted Brainiac, who admitted to him that Krypton had only hours left, but had lied so that he could save himself rather than expend the resources to try and evacuate the planet.
  • You guys are nuts if you aren't completely sold by this.
    That's one phenomenal theatrical trailer- especially following what was seen as an oddly-divisive teaser trailer. There's the human element, an intriguing-looking take on the origin, extremely solid and organic technical filmmaking, astounding effects, clear and well-chosen casting choices- and a trailer that packages the film as both a reflection on how Superman/a god-like figure fits into the modern world, and a high-stakes, end-of-the-world action film.
    The looks absolutely superb. Someone cracked how to do Superman right and make him relatable, I feel like, is what's paramount here. What does this trailer show more than anything? Just that. A troubled, curious, confused man with immense power and an ambiguous purpose. All expectations or preconceptions are out the window, they have to be. Snyder, Goyer, and Nolan seemed to have done it. No reason for anymore doubt, in my mind. This looks phenomenal, so much so that I've got like 10-15 texts today from friends-of-friends asking me if I'm going to parody it. (Which no, not likely- but to give an impression of the reach and impact it's already having.)
    Really, really looking forward to this. Oblivion, Lone Ranger, After Earth, Star Trek Into Darkness, Elysium, Iron Man 3, and then Man of Steel. It's looking to be a strong blockbuster season next summer crowded with sci-fi. It'll be interesting to see how much Man of Steel eclipses or works in-conjunction with those as one of the only (and probably the most-anticipated, period) superhero films next year- a stark contrast from the super-crowded seasons of the past 5 or so years of comic book movies.
  • edited December 2012
    I have optimism in the movie not only from the trailer, but also because DC/Warner Bros. are literally going all in on this movie. Man of Steel is supposed to be the lynch pin that ties everything together for a Justice League movie. Putting Nolan and Snyder on it should work out considering Snyder's strong cinematography and Nolan's work on Batman. But then again, after Bryan Singer did so well on X-Men, everyone thought he could reinvigorate Superman too.
    And in unrelated news, Mark Ruffalo said on twitter: "I got a text from Joss Whedon the other day. Sounds like he is writing some very interesting stuff for Banner and his alter ego The Hulk."
    So hopefully good things are coming on the Marvel side.
  • edited December 2012
    Don't get me wrong, it certainly looks very impressive, and there's a lot of promise in the trailer. I'm just not completely convinced by that trailer that they've done anything particularly unique or inventive here. I'm skeptical of the idea of Superman becoming relevant and interesting because of this. That's not an easy task, if you ask me, but this does have a pretty boss crew behind it, so it could work very well if it's been done right.
    I guess I have a bit of a track record of keeping low expectations for superhero movies, though. I thought The Amazing Spider-Man would be crap, and completely pointless (which it was anyway, a bit), but I ended up loving it. Hopefully I'll love Man of Steel as well, but I will keep my expectations low, just in case. ;)
  • I hope it is better than the other super man movies, maybe it is, trailers looks cool.
  • guys everything in this trailer looks aewsome. So what if they got the song from LOTR its an amazing peice. Come on... Zack Snyder and Christopher nolan working together what more could you want, maybe russell crowe? they got him too. The cinematograhy looks imense, and i have no idea why you are sooo negative about this trailer. The voiceover by Russell crowe is great and simon i have to disagree with you this trailer is very inspiring, no disrespect i love your films and tutorials but on this one i totally disagree
  • edited December 2012
    I saw the trailer in 3D in front of the Hobbit yesterday, and it blew my mind. Watching it on my laptop wasn't very effective, but seeing it on the big screen got me good and excited.
  • Really, really looking forward to this. Oblivion, Lone Ranger, After Earth, Star Trek Into Darkness, Elysium, Iron Man 3, and then Man of Steel. It's looking to be a strong blockbuster season next summer crowded with sci-fi.movies.

Hear hear. Very exciting year for blockbusters. Think back to the 1990s and how you'd be lucky to get 1 decent big movie a year, crowded out by endless studio-churned rubbish starring Deuce Bigalow. The current generation of genre filmmakers are doing great work.
    This 2nd Supes trailer I really loved.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment