Speed Effect-Cutting off frames.

The Speed effect is slowing my video down,when I put it at .50, but also cutting off half of the clip. Is there anything I can do to slow down the whole clip, not just half, which would double the length of the clip?

Comments

• Try extending the length on the timeline. I have never used slow motion but it's just a suggestion.

• The Speed effect is slowing my video down,when I put it at .50, but also cutting off half of the clip. Is there anything I can do to slow down the whole clip, not just half, which would double the length of the clip?

If your clip is 30 seconds in total length and you want a 0.5 slowdown then you're only gonna see 15 seconds worth (over 30 seconds) of the original 30 second clip. You would need to extend the original, perhaps you recorded extra, so that the total length of the original was 60 seconds. After applying the speed effect to 0.5 you'd effectively see the 30 seconds you were looking for.
    What frame rate did you record in?
  • This is because the speed effect applies to the layer itself - it's not the same as a rate stretch tool in something like Premiere. (incidentally, I'd love to see a proper rate stretch tool added in the future)
    To get around this problem, first embed the video into a new composite shot, and set the new comp to be twice the length of the video.
    Then embed that composite shot and apply the speed effect to that. This means you can change it to speed 0.5 and see the whole thing.

• This is because the speed effect applies to the layer itself - it's not the same as a rate stretch tool in something like Premiere. (incidentally, I'd love to see a proper rate stretch tool added in the future)
    To get around this problem, first embed the video into a new composite shot, and set the new comp to be twice the length of the video.
    Then embed that composite shot and apply the speed effect to that. This means you can change it to speed 0.5 and see the whole thing.

That's a great tip!
  • When I try to do a slow motion effect with hitfilm using the speed-effect, it cuts off the frame at the end of the clip and slow down the rest. Is there anyway NOT to cut off the frames at the end? for example, if there is a shot of a person running and then suddenly he jumps off a rail and starts running again. I want to slow down only the scene of his jump and then return the speed to normal without making a cut in the shot, would it be possible? Because with the frame-cutting done by hitfilm, it is not possible in a continuous shot.

• When I try to do a slow motion effect with hitfilm using the speed-effect, it cuts off the frame at the end of the clip and slow down the rest. Is there anyway NOT to cut off the frames at the end? for example, if there is a shot of a person running and then suddenly he jumps off a rail and starts running again. I want to slow down only the scene of his jump and then return the speed to normal without making a cut in the shot, would it be possible? Because with the frame-cutting done by hitfilm, it is not possible in a continuous shot.

You could get around this by using extra frames in the section you slow down and then cut any extras when you do the edit.
  • If you have any tail on the source clip, then you could just extend the clip longer on the timeline. But the slow-down effect currently in HitFilm won't alter the length of the clip itself. Another option is to convert the clip to a composite shot which is long enough to contain the entire shot after the slow-down is applied, and then apply the Slow-down to the composite shot.

• You could get around this by using extra frames in the section you slow down and then cut any extras when you do the edit.

no, with frame cutting, the ending frames are cut off, and a continuous shot continuity is broken. for example see this spot in the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-en4Vv8b-s&feature=player_detailpage#t=31s and tell me is it possible with hitfilm?
  • edited August 2012
    Yep, that is possible in HitFilm. I gave you two suggestions on how to handle it in HitFilm here, and a third in the Support ticket you sent in on the same subject. One or the other of them will work, in any situation.
  • OK I'll try to pull it off, and will tell later about whether I succeded or failed.
  • both 1st and 3rd method didn't work. Frames are always cut-off and all I am left with is a missing portion inside the continuos shot.

Sign in to comment