Indiana Jones Style Map

Hi, I need to trace a path around a country in a similar style to the maps you see in the Indiana Jones films when he's flying across countries. It needs to be animated so it shows a progression (the path not the map). I thought about using the lightning generator and making the paths straight but does anyone have a better idea..?
Many thanks for any assistance

• You could use the particle simulator where you can set the following options
    Emitters > Emitter > Particle System > Particle System > Movement
    - Life - Increase to 10
    - Speed - decrease to 0
    Depending on how fast your line is moving, you may need to increase the amount of particles
    Emitters > Emitter > Particle System > Particle System > Movement
    - Particles per Second - Increase until you have solid line
    Then you can simply key frame your position and go from there
  • Good ideas. A third option would be to simply draw the lines you want to use, in an image editor, then import them into HitFilm, lay them over the map, and use a mask to gradually reveal the line.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator
    All good options. I'd probably go the image mask route for very simple lines and curves, and the particle route for more complex routes.
  • Afternoon everyone and thank you for the replies. I was mulling this all over when travelling back on an overcrowded hot train from London to Portsmouth yesterday afternoon and thought the 3D particle engine would be good. I tried last night and it works a treat.!
    The only downside is that the particle lifespan only goes to 30 seconds but used that to my advantage in having the particles fade.
    Thank you again for all your advice.!
    That must be a really long map shot if it lasts for more than 30 seconds!

• That must be a really long map shot if it lasts for more than 30 seconds!

It's actually only a map of the Isle of Wight but didn't want to have the progression race round it too quickly. Lasts about 1 min 20 seconds in all. Was great to use HitFilm again as I've not used it for a few weeks.
    Good to hear! Are you going to upload the finished thing?
  • I would have gone for the masking route, but it you got it working with the particle sim that's great.
    I too would like to see the finished shot :)
  • Don't know if it's been said (didn't read it all lol) make new solid of line colour, then mask a route :D
    Surely you had time to read 6 very short posts before replying? :)
  • Hiya, I'm not sure if I'll be able to upload it as it's for the company I work for. I'll see what I can do though.
    Thanks for the interest.!

Sign in to comment