Weird "Masking" problem

Hi Simon,
I have been using your software since the old AlamDV days (CompsiteLab Pro, EffectsLab pro, Photokey...) for some little projects. Thanks guys :)
Unfortunately I have run into a weird problem with the HitFilm Unltimate Demo. Though I have successfully tried several of the cool features one basic function simply does not work for me: masking.
Every time I apply a mask to a composite shot the whole shot turns black. Doesn't matter how small or big the mask is, rectangle, ellipse or freehand.
Contrary, when I invert the mask nothing (!) is being masked out. I tried it on AVI, MOV and jpeg files - no difference. Of course I tried all the masking modes - nothing.
I also followed the instructions in one of the video tutorials. It works in the tutorial but not on my pc and with my files. Stays black. Here is a screenshot:
:)
Daniel

Comments

• I thought the same thing. What I ended up doing is when you make the layer, change it's color to a green that you can key out. Works for me. Not sure if that's how you're supposed to do it though :)
  • Thanks, but that is not my problem.
    Keying DOES work, even on my PC :)
    But the "masks" don't work. Either the whole clip turns black or nothing is being masked out at all.
  • EmmaEmma Staff
    Sorry to hear you're having problems. My first suggestion would be to try updating the driver for your graphics card. You can find more information on how to do this here. If you continue to have problems, can you let us know what graphics card you've got in your machine?
  • edited July 2011
    @ Emma: thanks!
    The problem is solved. Sometimes the most basic solutions work best.
    Indeed the (old) graphic card driver was causing the problem - fascinating.
    My graphics card:
    ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series, 1 GB RAM
    Old Driver: 8.723.0.0
    Once I had updated the driver everything just worked perfectly :)
    Again: Thanks Emma!
  • Good to know, thanks mypictures. I'll add a new article to the FAQs about this.
  • EmmaEmma Staff
    Excellent, glad to know that fixed it for you!

Sign in to comment