External Graphics Card

So after finding out my Dell Inspiron has the wrong kind of graphics card to run HitFilm and it's too late to get a refund/return for this computer, I spoke with a friend of mine who used to work for Best Buy's Geek Squad. He informed me that there are external graphics cards; so I am wondering if HitFilm will work with a USB graphics card since getting a new computer, for me, is out of the question for the foreseeable future.
Darn it- I posted this in the wrong area, didn't I?

Comments

• AdyAdy Staff

So after finding out my Dell Inspiron has the wrong kind of graphics card to run HitFilm and it's too late to get a refund/return for this computer, I spoke with a friend of mine who used to work for Best Buy's Geek Squad. He informed me that there are external graphics cards; so I am wondering if HitFilm will work with a USB graphics card since getting a new computer, for me, is out of the question for the foreseeable future.
    Darn it- I posted this in the wrong area, didn't I?

Hi StormyKnight,
    Unfortunately I have to be honest I can't see that working. The limitations in bandwidth I'm sure would prevent any card from functioning correctly when plugged into a USB slot. Even after searching around all I found was USB connections that enabled you to have for instance an extra DVI or similar connection. So unfortunately I can't see HitFilm working in this manner if it was a viable option. Sorry
    Ady
  • Thanks, Ady. I called Dell again on the recommendation of one of their sales reps and he tipped me off on how to get a return approved. I think it worked so I will be getting a computer built to the best HitFilm specs. Woo-hoo! :))
  • Most likely, those will be adapters (especially if it's a USB to DVI connection). Hitfilm requires dedicated graphics memory and those 'external graphics cards' will not do the trick. It's virtually impossible to upgrade laptop graphics, without a whole lot of hassle and cost.
    Hope the return goes well!

Sign in to comment