Hitfilm and big budget movies!

As I know hitfilm is a great program, but could you make a movie like the Matrix, Star Wars, Star Trek, and Etc. With it and make it look like a Big Budget movie? Like to hear the responses!

Comments

• I think there are alot of possibilities for it especially with updates and presets, getting to now the software, etc. movies like the original star wars trilogy were a bit more "in the shot" special effects (originally) I feel, so I think that may be achievable -- with good props, lighting, equipment, models, etc! I'm impressed with what this software can do--then again I'm pretty much a neophyte at every aspect of this!
  • yes, absolutely. I see no reason someone could not achieve a professional big budget movie look with hit film
  • The short answer is 'yes', though it's actually much more complicated than that.
    Bear in mind that all those films you mentioned didn't make use of a single piece of software. They used a wide range operated by hundreds of talented artists and technicians. They also rely very heavily on 3D modelling and animation, which of course HitFilm is not designed for.
    In terms of compositing and particle effects, though, HitFilm is definitely capable of professional results when operated by a professional. We're currently in talks to provide VFX for a low budget but professional feature film, for example. I can't talk about that any further, though, but it does illustrate that there is interest and possibilities.
    Depending on the level of production, there are potentially some format issues that would need to be resolved before HitFilm can be directly integrated into a professional workflow, such as native RED support. The software has been designed specifically to be a platform than can be developed easily, though, so anything is possible given the right resources.
    Currently our priority is on the super low budget indie filmmaker, and that's where our focus lies. But in future we may well begin to expand HitFilm to encompass a wider range of productions. We have a long roadmap for HitFilm and huge ambitions. It's going to be a wild ride, and you guys get to see it from the start. :)

• The short answer is 'yes', though it's actually much more complicated than that.
    Bear in mind that all those films you mentioned didn't make use of a single piece of software. They used a wide range operated by hundreds of talented artists and technicians. They also rely very heavily on 3D modelling and animation, which of course HitFilm is not designed for.
    In terms of compositing and particle effects, though, HitFilm is definitely capable of professional results when operated by a professional. We're currently in talks to provide VFX for a low budget but professional feature film, for example. I can't talk about that any further, though, but it does illustrate that there is interest and possibilities.
    Depending on the level of production, there are potentially some format issues that would need to be resolved before HitFilm can be directly integrated into a professional workflow, such as native RED support. The software has been designed specifically to be a platform than can be developed easily, though, so anything is possible given the right resources.
    Currently our priority is on the super low budget indie filmmaker, and that's where our focus lies. But in future we may well begin to expand HitFilm to encompass a wider range of productions. We have a long roadmap for HitFilm and huge ambitions. It's going to be a wild ride, and you guys get to see it from the start. :)

I know star wars had no software use, but I was wondering with time and money could it be done with HF Ulti to make a big budget movie. I was thinking what software is used for a movie like Ghost rider 2 and etc. I know a lot of the Matrix was filmed on a green screen and the later star trek movies used computer software for the ships, but lets say the last star trek film, for the live action scenes is it possible. There is a long story that brought up this question, if you want to know I can tell you! Thanks! There was many a many talented people on Star Wars, since most of the effects were invinted as they went, That is what lucas said in a interview. I was like 3 when the first one came out! LOL!
  • I just hope the price dont go up to 1000 dollars or something like that> :D
  • Simon, when will we find out about this film you guys are doing?:D
  • Rob Rodriguez made El Mariachi for $7000 and no software was used.
    Film making is more about your knowledge and skill and how to solve problems creatively. Programs like HitFilm are awesome tools to have, especially for a low budget film maker. But the truth is, making your movie look like a big budget movie has more to do with creative thinking than software.
    But if you really want software...
    Daz3D is giving away a bunch of its programs for free right now
    Hexagon 2 ( 3D Modeling program ) http://www.daz3d.com/i/shop/itemdetails/?item=4222
    Daz Studio 4 Pro ( 3D posing and animation ) http://www.daz3d.com/i/shop/itemdetails/?item=13176
    Bryce 7 Pro ( 3D Modeling, Rendering and Animation ) http://www.daz3d.com/i/shop/itemdetails/?item=11034
    not the top of the line programs, but hey, ya can't beet the price. Hexagon is a pretty kool modeling prog
  • Agree with Master Wolf. (Although it did cost the studio another $100,000 to clean up the sound) Its in the planning, and lighting and execution of the film. You can have the best effects in the world and have it ruined by awful sound, lighting or editing. As to proof I've seen some pretty amazing special effects here on the Movie wall already. The original Starwars used very few digital effects. The ships were mainly models, the laser weaponry and engine flares were all optical effects and rotoscoping. I yearned to be able to get composite shot making with optical printing in my old Super 8 filmmaking days. Yep, I'm that old. :D
    Yes you can do it. There is a whole community of 3d modelers out there who do nothing but 3d models of starwars ships. The original models used a computerized camera motion tracking system so that each camera pass could easily be reproduced as needed. The option would be yours either old school or all cg. Personally I like a mix. The result would only be up to your budget creativity and imagination.
  • I like a mix of techniques as well. I try to go old school as much as possible, i love my models on wires and big rubber monsters. I like to use digital effects mainly for tweaking the old school, and for safety reasons.
    A lot of what I do would be matte painting. I add in things that were not on the set or location on the day, either that or take things out that were there and should not have been. I can call up a bunch of SCA guys, head out to the the woods, throw a digital castle into the scene and poof it looks like i had a budget. Throw in a digitally animated dragon breathing HitFilm fire and it looks like i really had a budget.
  • Ghost Rider 2 had Fume FX written all over it! I haven't seen the movie, but the use of Fume FX in the trailer is pretty evident if you're familiar with how the plugin looks. Just thought I'd share since you asked LoL!
  • Here are a couple stills to show what can be done. These are just a couple of still shots, and not the best, but they were good enough for what i needed at the time. It should give you a good before and after of a shot. This was done before HitFilm existed, I did this in FX Lab Pro.

Film making is more about your knowledge and skill and how to solve problems creatively. Programs like HitFilm are awesome tools to have, especially for a low budget film maker. But the truth is, making your movie look like a big budget movie has more to do with creative thinking than software.
    Hexagon 2 ( 3D Modeling program ) http://www.daz3d.com/i/shop/itemdetails/?item=4222
    Daz Studio 4 Pro ( 3D posing and animation ) http://www.daz3d.com/i/shop/itemdetails/?item=13176
    Bryce 7 Pro ( 3D Modeling, Rendering and Animation ) http://www.daz3d.com/i/shop/itemdetails/?item=11034
    not the top of the line programs, but hey, ya can't beet the price. Hexagon is a pretty kool modeling prog

I know there is more than software, but you want to make a movie in space or like the matrix, it takes a creative hand in the FX dept. HF has all the color corrections just like Adobe. I was just wondering if it was possible to use HF for a big budget movie. Thanks

• Agree with Master Wolf. (Although it did cost the studio another $100,000 to clean up the sound) Its in the planning, and lighting and execution of the film. You can have the best effects in the world and have it ruined by awful sound, lighting or editing. As to proof I've seen some pretty amazing special effects here on the Movie wall already. The original Starwars used very few digital effects. The ships were mainly models, the laser weaponry and engine flares were all optical effects and rotoscoping. I yearned to be able to get composite shot making with optical printing in my old Super 8 filmmaking days. Yep, I'm that old. :D
    Yes you can do it. There is a whole community of 3d modelers out there who do nothing but 3d models of starwars ships. The original models used a computerized camera motion tracking system so that each camera pass could easily be reproduced as needed. The option would be yours either old school or all cg. Personally I like a mix. The result would only be up to your budget creativity and imagination.

I was wondering if you could make a movie like the matrix with HF. A lot of movies are cleaned up and fixed in post. I like the explosions and lasers and etc and I cannot blow up the neighborhood :D So, I have to relay in effects in HF. I was just wondering if HF is that powerful, cause I have seen some movies that were ruin cause the effects team did not take the time to fix the flaws in it. Thanks
  • I know about how effects were created for star wars, the black hole, etc was done. I was looking at adobe products and I know some movies are done with adobe products, I just wondered could a movie be made, filmed well, and add all the effects using HF with time and money. I got my answer up above from simon. I metion the black hole from disney, anyone remember that movie?

Thanks for the direction to the free software. I dont know how to make my own plastic models, I'm good at painting them and putting them together, but I cant make them from scratch. I thought about making fake guns and found out that is a hard process and I thought I dont have the time for it. Thanks again!
  • What sort of guns are you looking for? Fantasy sci-fi guns are fairly easy to make. I have been collecting Listerine bottles for a while for just such a purpose. I plan on getting some toy / squirt guns from a dollar store and cutting the handles off them and gluing them to the side of the Listerine bottle. Add some assorted plastic knobs, bottle caps, and what not and a coat or two of paint, instant Argellian Blaster Pistol. In the 50's and 60's thats how a lot of sci-fi props were built. In Star Trek the Motion Picture, look closely at the shuttles flying around the Enterprise while its in dry dock, you will see a couple of disposable razor handles glues to the bottom of it. The back part of the Millennium Falcon is part of a Sherman Tank model kit. If you can build a model kit, you can glue stuff together till it looks like something.
  • btw, yes i remember The Black Hole

• What sort of guns are you looking for? Fantasy sci-fi guns are fairly easy to make. I have been collecting Listerine bottles for a while for just such a purpose. I plan on getting some toy / squirt guns from a dollar store and cutting the handles off them and gluing them to the side of the Listerine bottle. Add some assorted plastic knobs, bottle caps, and what not and a coat or two of paint, instant Argellian Blaster Pistol. In the 50's and 60's thats how a lot of sci-fi props were built. In Star Trek the Motion Picture, look closely at the shuttles flying around the Enterprise while its in dry dock, you will see a couple of disposable razor handles glues to the bottom of it. The back part of the Millennium Falcon is part of a Sherman Tank model kit. If you can build a model kit, you can glue stuff together till it looks like something.

You remember that tv show V from the mid 80's? When I was a kid I got a gun set that was a off brand but looks just like that, I want that one recreated that I have but need a light in it for a marker. The Falcon, when you say the back part of it, you talking about where the engines are or up by the cockpit? The razors are on the bottom of the shuttles flying around or the enterprise itself? I love the guns from Men in black, blade runner, Ronnon star gate atalantis (that is the gun I really want) but I cannot build that one with the lights, the gun opens to change the cells, the captain of the Fire Fly movie, like his gun to.
  • I just downloaded a 3D model of the V mother ship last night, not sure what site i found it on.
    I remember seeing a documentary on Star Wars ( I probably have it on my shelf somewhere ) where they were saying that they used part of a sherman tank model for the back half of the Falcon, toward the engine area. The razor shuttle can be seen flying past the Enterprise when they show it in space dock.
    I just learned a nifty fact on Star Wars. The full size mock up of the ship that is first seen on Tatooine, and later is seen on the docking bay on the Death Star... never moves. Its on the exact same sound stage, they redressed the set around the mock up. I suppose I should have known that if I had given it a moments thought, but it never occurred to me. Ridley Scott does that a lot. If you listen to any of the director commentaries on his films. He will reuse a set as many times as he can, just redresses it to be a different room.
    A good thing to do as a low budget film maker is to go through your script and figure out a shot list. Shoot all the scenes in one location on the same day. Its better than going back to a location over and over dragging all that equipment around. Also if you are shooting on a location that you have limited access to, say you can only film there a certain day or a certain number of days. Take time to shoot some clean plate shots of the location. If something goes wrong later or you decide to add or change a scene in that location. You have the clean shots that you can use as backgrounds so you can film your talent on green screen and add them in later. I'd much rather over shoot a location than undershoot it. When I get to editing I want to have everything I need with out having to do pick ups or re-shoots.
    Ok i'm rambling again....

• As I know hitfilm is a great program, but could you make a movie like the Matrix, Star Wars, Star Trek, and Etc. With it and make it look like a Big Budget movie? Like to hear the responses!

Though my film (Vampires: Brighter in Darkness) is no way near a mega bucks movie I used HitFilm Ultimate to do all of the grading and SFX and we have had great reviews at festivals etc. It has also been contracted for worldwide release through Peccadillo Pictures this September 2012 so my answer would be Yes Hit Film can be used to a commercial level. The following is a link to the trailer :) http://youtu.be/qwwZUBO9JIo?hd=1
  • Hey guys, please make use of the 'Edit' button rather than posting several times in a row. Thanks!

• Hey guys, please make use of the 'Edit' button rather than posting several times in a row. Thanks!

Simon says?

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment