Is This A Meteorite?

edited February 2012 in Everything Else
I found this small one, got excited, then went back and found the bigger one. I was using a magnet on a stick. They're very heavy, and I tried to cut the small one and it ruined the blade just to make a shallow cut.
But inside is shiny metal. I think the black parts might be the remains of the crust because I can flake it off and the flakes are magnetic too. Both these nuggets are strongly magnetic, like a solid metal would be.
[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-puwY_TwEAAY/Tz3a3hvbXwI/AAAAAAAABBY/O3NhpirXDdY/s720/Meteorite1.jpg?gl=US[/img]

Comments

• if it breaks in half and blue meteor goo comes out, don't touch it
  • Yes, sip it up with a straw instead.
  • edited February 2012
    Creepshow, Stephen King, yeah, yeah. I already knew about that. Of course I won't drink it, thats stoopid, hahaha.
  • take it to a college with a geology department, they should be able to tell you if its a meteorite. Hey they might even tell you just how dangerously radioactive that thing is, now that you been handling it for a while now
  • edited February 2012
    Hahaha....radioactive all the way to the bank. Nah, geologists don't know. I have to slice it and do a nickel test. Greater than 4% equals Cha-Chinggggg!!!
    If it's just slag, I'll keep it and mount it, and just make up a tall tale that I saw it streaking through the sky and tracked it down.
    Either way, I'll get some mileage out of it. :)
    P.S. Hey, wait a minute, there is something leaking from it....hope it's not a donkey shit, then I'll be singin' like Wayne Newton. Hahahaha, WTF!!
  • After a quick glance, my geology student wife says it looks like vesicular basalt (volcanic).
  • edited February 2012
    Is that metallic? I sanded down a flat spot on the small one. There's no green, my WB is off.
    [img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/--93QjJkV550/Tz8lwdqDIxI/AAAAAAAABBg/paSBVmiEkms/s640/Meteorite2.jpg?gl=US[/img]
  • edited February 2012
    Looks like some slag to me. I suppose you could test it for nickel content? I think if there's no nickel present, then it's not a meteorite.
  • I think if there's no nickel present, then it's not a meteorite.

That's what I read too. I don't want to pay to have it tested though.
  • edited February 2012
    You can buy nickel test kits to test it on your own, but I don't know how much they cost. Not as much as sending it off somewhere, probably. It's just a combination of a few chemicals that react with nickel and turn pink if there is any.
  • maybe it is part of the terminator!! @-) :D
  • I used to work in a foundry, we had electronic guns that we shot the metal with and it would tell us what it was. If there is a foundry in the area maybe they could tell you what it is. I doubt they would charge you to do it.
  • Since I'm in LA/Cerritos, I wouldn't have a clue about that. Thanks though.
    I don't see any type of pattern in the metal, and that concerns me. I was reading that some type of faint pattern should be visible, even before etching. Seems the etching just makes it pop more.
    But I can tell you it's EXTREMELY HARD to cut with a sawzall metal blade. I have to bear down on it just to get a little bit of cut. Would slag be that hard?
    Isn't slag mostly mineral?
  • Slag is just bits of molten metal that have splashed out or fallen when something is cast/welded/what have you. Since it's magnetic, it means it has iron content, so it could be steel or just straight iron. But yes, slag is hard, unless it's from a soft metal like gold.
  • Oh, really? I thought slag was a by-product, like sulpher gets left over from refining oil.
    Well, if you're right, it doesn't look too promising.
  • edited February 2012
    Oh, maybe I'm thinking of something else... Like, molten bits of metal. ;) I've really only associated "slag" with "chunks of metal" because I weld, and slag is what we call the molten bits that fall/drip off. I guess that term isn't exclusive to that. I still say it is worth doing a nickel test to make sure. As far as I know, that's the easiest way to tell it apart from a standard chunk of metal, which is still what it looks like to me, whether that's called slag or not. :)
  • Still say part of the Terminator from the future to protect John
    conner or connor.. LOL :-?
  • edited February 2012
    OK, well if it's part of the terminator then it's really worth something. 8-|
    @Aculag The slag from welding is coming from the rod, right? Doesn't it have some kind of "rosin" like electrical soldering? Sort of a by-product of welding, not so much the material being welded?
    I've always thought of slag as what bubbles to the top in a smelter, and when they bang a hot horseshoe, that's the crap that falls off I think.
    Yeah, if it's steel slag that would be a bummer. BTW, I left out one small detail. I found it near an abandoned RR track, but NOT right on it. :( I know, I know, but it still "could" be something. Meteorites fall randomly, not just on dry lake beds.
    I'll bet there's a lot of them that never get picked up because they're near a RR track, so I figure the odds are even better.
  • edited February 2012
    Welding rod/wire doesn't have any kind of flux in it, just metal. At least the kind I use. The slag is just bits of that metal (or the working material) that melts and gets flung away because of the electricity. Of course, there are plenty of types of rods and wires that I never use, so you may be right.
    That kind of stuff is super common around train tracks. Could even just be a bit of ore that fell off a car or something. Just saying. ;)
  • I've worked in a lot of foundries, steel mills and investment casting facilities. When a foundry cast metal parts there is a lot of excess junk metal, parts of sprue ( just like on a plastic model kit ) molten splash ( Slag ) and all sorts of burnt melted metal. This isn't just discarded. It gets sent back to the steel supplier and they sort it, clean it and remelt it and turn it back into good steel. I used to work in a reclaim department for a steel supplier. What you have there looks a lot like reclaim steel... granted really old rusty reclaim steel. Reclaim now days is usually shipped by truck, but for years it was shipped in open gondola cars by rail. My guess is its a chunk of really old reclaim. Sounds like its pretty tough stuff, thats got to be one of the harder alloys. An abrasive wheel saw would make short work it though.

• It's just a combination of a few chemicals that react with nickel and turn pink if there is any.

Noooo- Pink if it's a girl, blue if it's a boy. ;)

budwzr- If you got a bunch more of those you could make an asteroid field. I wonder if you took pictures of it from different sides on an all black or white background if you could use it as a particle texture in HF? Is that even possible? :-?
  • you could hitch a ride on a passing space ship and then throw it at the earth, then it would be a meteorite I suppose
  • edited February 2012

you could hitch a ride on a passing space ship and then throw it at the earth, then it would be a meteorite I suppose

I'd only go if it's the TARDIS or Moya.

• you could hitch a ride on a passing space ship and then throw it at the earth, then it would be a meteorite I suppose

No, that won't work. It has to come in at 40,000 mph first. Good "outside the box" thinking though.
  • Perhaps you could so something similiar to this? :
    James may man lab
    It reach the edge of space and then dropped back to earth- no need for a spaceship!
  • The problem with that theory is a rock dropped from the edge of the atmosphere would never fall faster than terminal velocity.
  • Did you know there are absolutely no meteors in space? In outer space they are asteroids, they are not meteors until they enter the atmosphere of a planet.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment