Banner Tone Down

Oh, that's great. The banners are half transparent. Gives my eyes a break. The only reason I even PUT a banner was to compete for eyeballs, and not get lost in the mix. hahaha.:)

Comments

• Can't...tell...if sarcastic.
    On a related note, I don't "get" your banner.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator
    edited February 2012
    Yeah, signatures have always been a tricky thing. They're a useful way for people to promote their work, but at the same time they inevitably break up the flow of a discussion and can often look quite ugly.
    For the forum redesign we debated a few options, from completely removing them to making it a user option, but eventually settled on the faded-out solution. I think it's quite elegant - it keeps them in the background so that they don't interrupt the flow of a discussion, while still letting people show off their stuff.
    The forum redesign was really all about one thing: making discussion easier. Hopefully that will prove to be the case!
  • edited February 2012
    Well, I'm going to enable my own discussion on this topic*.
    I think it looks horrible! I see what you're going for, and for text-only signatures, it's kinda cool - but as most people who do signatures use banners, I don't like it at all. Either have signatures, or don't. Greyed out images are ugly and distracting.
    I much preferred the 'if the post is X long, display signature by default'. Couple that with a user-selectable 'enable all by default / disable all by default' option, and Bob's your uncle.
    Feels like another GREEN LINKS situation to me, for those who remember that from way back when ;)
    Cheers,
    Arktic.
    *Yes, I know that doesn't strictly make sense, but afford me some artistic license, ok?
  • I think the greyed out signatures works fine, and if you want to see them in full color, then just hover your mouse over them!
  • edited February 2012

Can't...tell...if sarcastic.
    On a related note, I don't "get" your banner.

My banner is a protest of fake banners. My BANNER is sarcastic, not the post. You were close. I AM a sarcastic bastard, or "cheeky", hahaha.
    Personally, I like the way they designed this forum. The gradient, the blue box, the little quotation marks, even the Helvetica-type kerned fonts. Somebody did a great job.
    Whoever did it, please know that at least SOMEONE out here NOTICED!
    The loud banners are like blight to a nice neighborhood.
  • I think the faded banners serve exactly the purpose you were aiming for. They make the focus of the page the conversation, while still keeping the self-advertising available for those who want to use it. Its just as immediately available, but without distracting from the actual content of the page. I love it.
  • I like the greyed out banners. Sometimes peoples banners get kinda "loud" and distracting. I like the compromise that allows people to still use them if they want.
  • Yeah I'm really liking the redesign. The new forum index is really striking, and all the greyed out stuff really makes the text pop.
  • I'm with Arktic on this one. I find the greyed out banners to be rather distracting, rather than subtle. I find that they actually draw my eye more than a full color banner, but maybe that's because I am so used to ignoring the full color ones.
  • I'm glad they are mainly liked... I can't believe you brought up the green links Arktic!

• Yeah, signatures have always been a tricky thing. They're a useful way for people to promote their work, but at the same time they inevitably break up the flow of a discussion and can often look quite ugly.
    For the forum redesign we debated a few options, from completely removing them to making it a user option, but eventually settled on the faded-out solution. I think it's quite elegant - it keeps them in the background so that they don't interrupt the flow of a discussion, while still letting people show off their stuff.

Well I scroll with the mouse wheel and the cursor in the window, so they are not faded out they are constantly flashing - ie, now they have become annoying.

• *Yes, I know that doesn't strictly make sense, but afford me some artistic license, ok?

I'll give you a little Arktic-stic license. ;)
    I've learned to overlook everything in a post and read between the lines. But seriously, I don't mind the change in the banner look. I got used to it the old way, I'll get used to it this way.

Maybe. Oh wait....I was supposed to be serious.

• Well I scroll with the mouse wheel and the cursor in the window, so they are not faded out they are constantly flashing - ie, now they have become annoying.

You could just move your pointer slightly to the side while scrolling?
  • I scroll that way, too, and they never flash unless I stop scrolling directly on the banner. If the mouse crosses it mid-scroll, nothing happens whatsoever.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment