Bad FX movies.

edited July 2011 in Everything Else
Like to know what people think are bad fx movies and why. First my rules for bad movies are fairly simple.
1] Not enough money to properly finish effect or film
2] Prospero's dune buggy law. If a dune buggy is used in a film eventually the hero will either pursue or be pursued by the enemy/monster using a dune buggy. Or use it to drive wildly across the desert to give the audience a cheap action scene.Most of the time the film willl be bad. So here is my list
1] Dark Rising-Bring Your Battle Axe.-Sadly a Canadian film where a WWE wrestler is probably the best actor of the cast. A horror film where they ran out of money before the monster was created. Also scene at the end of film where spy/ninja like characters appear for no reason. They were part of originally plot line and dropped due to script/budget constraints but director decided to leave them in. @-) Only saving grace to this turkey is song by the band Johnny Hollow on the soundtrack
2] The Curse of Tutankhamun. Casper Van Diem with his simpering smirk woodenly acts as hero through film. Seths's army looks like rejects from flying monkeys from Wizard of Oz. Shot as India for Egypt and looks like India. Line in film where actress talks about advanced architecture of ancient civilization and you can tell she had hard time saying line as set is made of one flat slab upon 2 upright slabs.
3] Sands of Time-Dune buggy chase See Prospero's law 2 above. Bad monster effects. Roger Rabbit knockoff as cartoon hieroglyphs fight the hero
4]Allan Quartermain and the Temple of skulls. Low budget but colour corrected although slightly too much to the green end of things. Movie mixed eras as had a victoria era steam engine arrive at a station with a modern day coke machine. Director said they did not have enough money to do it one way or the other and hoped audience wouldn't notice. Could have at least spent the money to matte it out. Mostly shot in South Africa unfortunately not all costumes arrived for actors at start of shoot. Very bad effects compositing work in climatic scene. Also magical head ripper thingy appears in cave where hero and enemy are battling along with a bright shiny new piece of chain with no explanations on how either got there.
5] Army of the Dead-Curse of the Ananazi Dune buggies-See Prospero's law 2 above. More of a bad movie than bad effects. Nice strut by skeleton warrior after killing one archeologist. Plot flaw-Fleeing the skeleton warriors our "heros' say they don't have much gas left in their truck but after the climatic battle that night at an abandoned radio transmitter station they drive cheeerily off in the morning sunshine. Where did they get the gas out in the desert?
6] The Mummy Lives. Tony Curtiss at his campy best as the High priest of Zoth cursed for violating a priestess and is mummified to protect Zoth's tomb for eternity. Part shot as California for Egypt. Best line in the film, "The tongue is the best and the worst thing in the world." Worst error. An asp startles the heroine's horse. sound fx used is for a rattlesnake.
7] Sound's of Thunder. CG vehicles look like previz work from Blade Runner.CG dinosaurs and creatures look okay in ancient jungle scene but not so much in modern day. Same with all the vines and greenery. This aint Jurassic Park. More like a bad version of Dinosaurs mixed with StargateSGI. Just wanted the dinosaurs to eat everyone so movie would end.
There you have it. Feel free to add your own.

Comments

• edited July 2011
    Any movie exclusively made by or for the SyFy (previously Sci-Fi) channel.
    I don't know why I tune in thinking the movies will get any better. I sometimes find
    myself feeling like I'm driving past an accident on the freeway and I just can't
    help but look..........the horror! MAKE IT STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Heh. 'Prospero's dune buggy law'.
    This is an actual literary/thematic/cinematic device- and has a name already. Ever heard of Chekhov's Gun? ;)
  • Andrew- Thanks for the link. It cleared up some questions about phasers and navigators. ;)
  • Two films that have always stood out to me for bad effects are Rambo and Mutant Chronicles, both have really bad digital blood hits that looked like they were just added on top of the original footage with no attempt to blend them. You can also spot almost every green screen shot in Mutant Chronicles due to the actors and background being lit differently, MC also has a number of scenes were they didn't even add in effects at all even though they were supposed to, Ron Pearlmans mutant hand at the end is a good example in the wide shots.

• Any movie exclusively made by or for the SyFy (previously Sci-Fi) channel.
    I don't know why I tune in thinking the movies will get any better. I sometimes find
    myself feeling like I'm driving past an accident on the freeway and I just can't
    help but look..........the horror! MAKE IT STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

funny, read the topic and was about to write the exact same thing! What's always hilarious is the titles that resemble a blockbuster's title (Snakes on a train versus Snakes on a Plane etc)...the production values, acting....wowzers... Or was that on the FX channel?
  • Well the Snakes on a Train type movies aren't made by Syfy, but by The Asylum. This company is known for ripping off movies. They have titles like Transmorphers, The Day the Earth Stopped etc.
    But ya, the worst VFX I've seen are from either Syfy Originals, or The Asylum.
  • Only know one syfy channel movie and that was made by Bruce Campbell of BubbaHotep fame. Love the scene where the two actors come up and look down to make sure they've hit their mark. :P Think its called Alien Invaders. Shot in Bulgaria for Oregon. yes it was a pretty cheesy film but way better than Dark Rising Bring your battle axe. Still both movies are far better than Ishtar or French Lieutenants Woman. Four hours or so of my life I'll never get back. My version of hell would be being forced to watch those last 2 movies over and over again.

• Only know one syfy channel movie and that was made by Bruce Campbell of BubbaHotep fame. Love the scene where the two actors come up and look down to make sure they've hit their mark. :P Think its called Alien Invaders. Shot in Bulgaria for Oregon. yes it was a pretty cheesy film but way better than Dark Rising Bring your battle axe. Still both movies are far better than Ishtar or French Lieutenants Woman. Four hours or so of my life I'll never get back. My version of hell would be being forced to watch those last 2 movies over and over again.

Got to check it out! Never heard of that one before. Although for me, it would be Bruce Campbell of Evil Dead trilogy fame!! BTW - if you ever want to read a fun "behind-the-scenes" type of movie making book, I'd really recommend Bruce Campbell's book "If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor"...it's hilarious (IMHO) and offers a real insight on how the Evil Dead was made...and for Spider Man fans....this was one of the first movies by Sam Raimi.

• Well the Snakes on a Train type movies aren't made by Syfy, but by The Asylum. This company is known for ripping off movies. They have titles like Transmorphers, The Day the Earth Stopped etc.
    But ya, the worst VFX I've seen are from either Syfy Originals, or The Asylum.

Ah, yes, that's it! The acting....oh...it hurts!
  • The film i hated most lately is one of the two last of George Romero, the serie of the "SOMETHING of the Dead" of course. I don't know which one it was because the last two movies were released at the same time in Italy. Fact is there was a lot of non computer-generated effects, and i respect that..but they seemed to be something from a 50's b-movie!
    One of the worst movies i ever watched, and the sad part is there's a lot of people trying to say the movie is great just for the name of the director. It definitely wasn't.
  • Andrew, re Chekov's gun. Usually in these movies there is a scene where the archeologists/ students drive the dunebuggy(s) wildly across the desert to reach their destination first. Basic plot flaw as no archeologist worth his degree would approach a site in such a reckless manner as they never know what sites they could damage or disrupt in the outlying areas. Yes, I know its supposed to be for entertainment purposes but sometimes its just annoying
  • KordProd, you'd be amazed how many cgi shots on films are actually a mix of live action stuff and computer effects. As the guys here have shown in their one HP wand battle effect, having that mix can make it more realistic. In Romero's case he prefers to stick with the old style effects rather than cgi as that is part of his style and a lot cheaper on the budgets he uses. Not always the case as in airship scenes on the movie Stardust, the deck of the airship was partially constructed for the live action sequences at a budget of about a $Million. Probably mostly labour costs as they have 80 craftsmen at union rates build the set. :D

• The film i hated most lately is one of the two last of George Romero, the serie of the "SOMETHING of the Dead" of course. I don't know which one it was because the last two movies were released at the same time in Italy. Fact is there was a lot of non computer-generated effects, and i respect that..but they seemed to be something from a 50's b-movie!
    One of the worst movies i ever watched, and the sad part is there's a lot of people trying to say the movie is great just for the name of the director. It definitely wasn't.

If you mean Survival of the Dead, I would agree. I was very disappointed when I watched that. I thought Land of the Dead and Diary of the Dead were great though (as good as his old ones IMHO)
  • edited July 2011
    The worst film I've ever seen has to be Frankenstein Island.
    You may find clips on YouTube. (I did link to it here but it didn't work for some reason).
    The acting and effects are awful and the script doesn't make sense. John carradine was apparently filmed in his living room and then just randomly superimposed over parts of the film. Presumably just to get a 'name actor' in the credits. Made in 1981 but looks like it was produced in the 50's!!

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment