Need more 3d tracking import options.

I would really like to see more options on the import 3d tracking data. I use PFhoe Pro and export to Lightwave format (.lws) to import to C4D. This has been stable for me and works great. I would like to be able to import the .lws format and have scaling options in HitFilm. I often need to scale the scene in C4D and add objects to the scene. If I could then render out the 3d objects and comp them with the original matchmoved footage and add effects with HitFilm using the workflow I described, that would be awesome.
Also, none of my user added solved points show up in the .ma import into HitFilm Ultimate. Since I don't have or use Maya, I don't know if they normally would. I also found that the After Effects .ma export from PFhoe Pro works better for HitFilm.
Thanks for the help.

Comments

• edited July 2011
    I agree. Hitfilm is supposed to be for people on a budget. It needs more 3d formats. Not just for use with tracked video, but also for 3d rendered scenes.
    I don't know what formats are the most universal, but Lightwave would be useful for me.

Tom
  • Hello there,
    I also briefly tried a matchmove import from Syntheyes last night (Maya export .ma), out of around 150 exported trackers in the scene i only saw around 5 loaded into my Hitfilm scene, i wonder where all the others went, some of these will be very important for aiding the placement of Deflectors etc.
    Dont use Maya either but the Maya export brought up a box with loads of options im not used to, I only ever export to Carrara 8 Pro, no dialog boxes just export & thats it.
    I also saw a scaling issue, it was a tiny tiny blob in the center of the preview window which ended up being the camera & 5 of the 150 trackers.....Camera animated fine though by the looks of it but at the time i could'nt get the backdrop footage to load up without crashing Hitfilm so i could'nt confirm 100%
    Not sure about PFFhoe but while working in Syntheyes i can set up size constraints to correctly scale the 3D scene to real world dimentions, as soon as i get a bit of time i will try this out to see if it solves this apparent scaling issue.
    I do think that Pfhoe & Syntheyes should have an export option called 'Hitfilm' specifically tailered for it, using maya or After Effects .ma exporters does'nt make sense, if anything, it down grades Hitfilm, lets get that sorted for a start boys.
    :D

• Hello there,
    I also briefly tried a matchmove import from Syntheyes last night (Maya export .ma), out of around 150 exported trackers in the scene i only saw around 5 loaded into my Hitfilm scene, i wonder where all the others went, some of these will be very important for aiding the placement of Deflectors etc.

There is a use option to set up how many points to import with camera tracking 'File > Options > Number of 3D tracking points'. The default value is 5 for quick import.
    It's currently limited to 50 points max (the firsts one found), but might change to be higher when the performance will be improve. Do you really need all your 150 points ?
  • edited July 2011
    For HitFilm I need to get at least specific points that I have tracked. In PFhoe the point cloud generated is named Auto_01, 02, etc. The ones that I specify to track are named User_01, 02, etc. I assume that HitFilm is just picking up the first ones it comes across alphabetically. I am pretty sure that there is no way to rename the auto points in PFhoe.
    As for the number of points, I can easily have 300-400 points generated by the cloud. I Guess that I could delete all the auto points before I export. I might try that and post results here.
    Edit/add: I can delete the Auto points and import the specific track points I add. One weird thing though. HitFilm insisted on adding 5 null points to the matchmove. This was with the After Effects .ma export from PFhoe Pro.

• Edit/add: I can delete the Auto points and import the specific track points I add. One weird thing though. HitFilm insisted on adding 5 null points to the matchmove. This was with the After Effects .ma export from PFhoe Pro.

We don't create any new null point, if Hitfilm import 5 null point, they must exist in the .ma file. Can you post this file so I can have a look at it ?
  • John, here is the file. I am fairly certain I deleted all the nulls other than the user generated ones. But, as they don't become deletable until they are in the active frame in PFhoe Pro it is possible that I missed a few. It is just odd that it was 5, the default number of nulls imported. This is just the 3d export, no .mov file for the background.
  • John, thanks for the tip about the number of points. PFHOE on my list of programs once I've mastered Blender and have my 3d scenes generated. As always so many great people from the community on the site along with the HITFILM support staff willing to help newbies like me. Part of why I'm so eager and happy to be buying HitfILM in the next few weeks

• John, here is the file. I am fairly certain I deleted all the nulls other than the user generated ones. But, as they don't become deletable until they are in the active frame in PFhoe Pro it is possible that I missed a few. It is just odd that it was 5, the default number of nulls imported. This is just the 3d export, no .mov file for the background.

Indeed, you probably haven't change your global options into HitFilm 'File > Options > Number of 3D tracking points', and it's still 5. If I change mine to 20 for example, and import your .ma file, I end up with 9 null_tracker points which is exactly the number of point in the .ma file you just posted. So no problem at all, you must haven't delete them all.
    If you can't find them in your software, you can open the .ma file with a text editor and delete everythig looking like :
    createNode transform -n "null_Tracker1";

setAttr ".s" -type "double3" 1 1 1;

setAttr ".t" -type "double3" 28.6919 321.732 -477.943;

createNode locator -n "null_Tracker1Shape" -p "null_Tracker1";

setAttr -k off ".v";

Hope this help !
  • John, thanks for the help. I was not aware that I could use a text editor on the file. It'll be just like working on poser products and manually editing cr2's. :P

Sign in to comment