Movie Pass?

Hey guys, I'm probably late on this news, but I thought I'd share it since I haven't heard about it till now. As I understand it, Movie Pass is a service, or rather will be a service, in which you pay a monthly fee and you can go to the movies whenever you feel like it. As I understand it they are "testing" it out in California now and will go National this fall. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• edited July 2011
    I love going to the movies and ticket prices are pretty expensive in my area ($10-$12). While I think it's a pretty cool idea, the biggest drawback that I can see is that I would have to go see at least five or six movies a month to actually save money and I often can't find the time between work and school to see that many. So I'll probably just stick to buying my tickets the old fashioned way.
  • I think it's an interesting idea - building off the Netflix idea as well as being (sort of) similar to Spotify over here in Europe. I imagine if this concept ever reached Sweden we'd be looking at a month for closer to 100 USD, looking at today's ticket prices.
    Something mildly unrelated - is it really that common to have no reserved seats in US theatres?
  • I've never been to a theater here in the U.S. that reserves seats. I can't speak for the country as a whole, but I haven't been to one, I've been to lots of theaters that reserves tickets, but not individual seats like at a sporting event if that's what you mean.
  • edited July 2011
    Only the extreme movie fanatic would appreciate this sort of offer. But at $600 a year (assuming that it's $50 a month) for Movie Pass, that's a pretty high number once you add it up.
  • Some cinema chains in the UK offer this already. For a subscription which (last I remember) was about £20 a month, you can go to the cinema as many times as you like. To make it worthwhile you have to use it about 3 times a month I think. That works pretty well here, since its uncommon to have more than one good cinema in your area, so being restricted to using only that cinema is fine.
  • $50 a month sounds like a pretty good deal - or at least, it would be round here, where average ticket prices are $16 - $25!
  • No way in hell do I even go to $600 worth of movies in a year, especially if my theater choices were limited. So no. If you go to less films than 5/month, you'll be losing money obviously.
    I think this could work if it was more like $25-30/month, where it's really a deal. But there are hardly 6 good films every month in a typical N.A.T.O. theater that I want to see. The cards that Regal/AMC have here in the states are just fine: free food every now and then, discounts/deals every now and then, and that kind of thing, all for free.
  • @Serpent, I'm personally with you on this one, but if I remember correctly, Ben and Andrew Adams watch movies multiple times a week, or at least that is the way it seems. For people like them, this could be a huge money saver!
  • edited July 2011
    My theatre chain has something better.
    Basically, paying for a movie gets you 100 points, and you spend 1000 points for a free movie (2D or 3D). However, they had a promotion once where signing up for a special bank card netted you 18000 pts, in addition to giving you 1 pt per dollar spent on your credit card. Tuesdays are half-price days and Wednesdays are 500 pts/movie day.
    So basically I've only paid for like 3 movies in the past 2 years, and they were half-price... and this is despite seeing pretty much every major release in theaters.
    They've also been testing special rooms with reserved (leather) seating + a high-end digital projector/better sound system, for 1$ extra. I saw Super 8 in one of those and it was awesome.
  • That sounds pretty awesome Pooky. I'd definitely have gone for it :)
  • They've also been testing special rooms with reserved (leather) seating + a high-end digital projector/better sound system, for 1$ extra. I saw Super 8 in one of those and it was awesome.

Cool, but is reserved seating not standard around your location? Here every theatre no matter how old, small and run down has reserved seating, and you can buy tickets for reserved seats sometimes weeks in advance (which I always do on the films I bother seeing theatres).
  • They could do an offer like my local bus company whereby you buy a ticket that has 10 'travels' on it- for a month/week and everythime you get on the bus it stamps out one of these 'travels'- meaning you get to travel for cheaper and whenever you like. If they could transfer this to something like it, say you buy a ticket for the cinema that has a certain amount of cinema viewings on it, it lasts for a couple of months/year for a certain price and everytime you go to the cinema they stamp a 'viewing' from your ticket. That'd give you the freedom to go when you want rather than feel forced to having go to the cinema at least 3-4 times to make it worth the price...I think i might go on dragons den :D

• Cool, but is reserved seating not standard around your location? Here every theatre no matter how old, small and run down has reserved seating, and you can buy tickets for reserved seats sometimes weeks in advance (which I always do on the films I bother seeing theatres).
    Nope, all of em are first come first served so you gotta get there 30 min in advance to get the good seats.
  • edited July 2011
    I heard that MoviePass failed, but I haven't heard that from anyone reliable. I'm looking for an article on it somewhere now.
    Here you are with MoviePass news, if you're interested.
  • edited July 2011
    Not surprising. The vast majority of people don't go to enough movies a month to make it worthwhile, and like Serpent said, there aren't even that many good movies that are released in a month. I look forward to maybe five or six movies per year. It wasn't really a good idea to begin with, if you ask me.
  • Apparently part of the reason the test run failed was because they didn't get permission from all the theaters... oops 8-| I don't think it was a bad idea, just a bad price. I would be inclined to use a service like MoviePass if it was $20-30 a month, considering the reason I don't see movies is because they cost too much in theater.

• Cool, but is reserved seating not standard around your location? Here every theatre no matter how old, small and run down has reserved seating, and you can buy tickets for reserved seats sometimes weeks in advance (which I always do on the films I bother seeing theatres).

I only know of one theater chain in all of the U.S. that has reserved seating, and it's a local chain that's only in Southern California:
    About Arclight
  • edited July 2011

@Serpent, I'm personally with you on this one, but if I remember correctly, Ben and Andrew Adams watch movies multiple times a week, or at least that is the way it seems. For people like them, this could be a huge money saver!

Heh, this is almost true. I've seen I think 29 new movies in theaters in the 30 or so weeks we've had thus far in this year, yes. But even then, ticket prices in Texas aren't like they are in even California (where I just saw Tramsformers 3 for $20 a ticket)- they reel in at the $7-10 range.
    So even in my excess, this still wouldn't be cost-effective unless I seriously bumped up the number of movies I saw- which is already [I]huge[/I] and uses all the free time I currently have, anyway.
    I know, even that seems crazy- but movies are our lives, and viewership in a theater is a big part of that/part of the process. I'll cut money out of utilities for my apartment to make time and money for movies. So yeah, even at that level of fanaticism, it's still not worth it- if that tells you anything.
    Still a great idea, but not for that price-point. Movies are an integral part of my life and just like taking a walk or listening to music for some, sitting in a theater watching one is what helps me focus best and think clearly through the current problems or work I might have. But even then, I've got a Regal Crowne Club Card and two AMC Stubs/Moviewatcher cards, and like every fourth movie I see is either discounted or I get $20 worth of free concessions, so like Serpent said, there's really no need for anything else.
    Though the Stubs membership isn't free, you pay like $12 for the year to have the card. [I]I[/I] didn't, because they rewarded my viewership with the membership to the new program for free, but that might be a consideration to make for others.

I only know of one theater chain in all of the U.S. that has reserved seating, and it's a local chain that's only in Southern California:
    About Arclight

That's where I saw Transformers 3, actually. I don't like the concept of choosing a seat to reserve . We picked one in the middle and hated it- had to move up once the movie started and the theater police left. ;)
  • I stand corrected.
  • I work two jobs and wouldn't find the time to attend enough movies a month to make it worth while. I mainly use Pay Per View for most movies unless it's good sci-fi. I like sci-fi on the large screen.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment