Editing DSLR Footage

How does Hitfilm handle footage straight from a DSLR? Traditionally before editing in Vegas I'd need to transcode footage using Mpeg Streamclip. Can Hitfilm handle the raw footage or would I still need to transcode?

Comments

• What DSLR? (codex, etc)
    I've got a Canon kiss x4 and Hitfilm has imported the 720p video with no problems so far.
  • Hi.
    I don't know, which version of Vegas do you own, but starting from version 10.x (currently 10.d), Vegas supports native import from MOV-containers produced by Canon's EOS 7D, 5D MK II, ... If you've got any problems, you may use proxy-stream. Previously, I've used CineForm to recode the mov-files to a cutable avi-format with very good results.
    Regards,
    Marc
  • I regularly import footage straight out of my Canon 7D while testing the software. Of course, H.264 still isn't an editing codec, and you will see better performance and better quality if you transcode to something that is, but the footage will work straight out of the camera.
    Its worth nothing though, that since Quicktime optimization hasn't yet been completed, you will see snappier performance from your Canon DSLR video if you simply change the suffix from .mov to .mp4 before importing it.
  • Hi again.
    Okay...I've tryed to import a 1080p footage from my Canon 7D and put it on the timeline. While playback with Render:Full turn it into a slideshow, Render:Half could fit my needs. Well, I'll try to recode it using Cineform but it would be cool, if you guys could take a look and this type of footage to improve it's playback inside Hitfilm. Sony Vegas has improved this import in 10.x and from this time, I didn't need to use Cineform anymore...and it would be great to skip this step in Hitfilm, too 8-|
    Regards,
    Marc
  • As my previous post mentioned, Quicktime optimization is still to come, and will bring dramatic speed improvements for Quicktime footage. This was also mentioned in one of the videos as a top priority for the developers, to get finished right away. So we are aware of the situation and are working to improve it as quickly as we can.
    But again, H.264 won't ever be a proper editing codec, and transcoding will still bring benefits, particularly if image quality is critical. We do understand that sometimes speed and convenience are more crucial though, so proper support for footage direct from the camera isn't being neglected.
  • Hi.
    Thank you for clearing - it seems, I'd miss the announcement of mov-speedup.
    Regards,
    Marc
    BTW: As longer as I play with Hitfilm, I love it more & more...

Sign in to comment