The Dark Knight Rises Trailer

http://youtu.be/GokKUqLcvD8
Nothing much to say really. This is a fantastic trailer. Movie looks crazy awesome.

Comments

• Yep. I'm gonna watch it again.
  • Looks like a good end to the series...
  • The trailer is still too "teasery." Looks cool though! It's so weird seeing Batman in the daytime. I really hope this is as great as the other too. I also hope they do something about Bane's voice... or give him subtitles. I shouldn't have to try so hard to understand a main character in a movie that is speaking English. Knowing Nolan he probably won't change a thing no matter how many people complains.
    Either way, I'll be seeing this opening day!
  • edited December 2011
    I heard a lot of complaints earlier about Bane's voice as well, but I gotta say, it worked perfectly for me in this trailer. He was well understandable, while still sounding like he was wearing a mask, and it fit the character brilliantly. Certainly far less obnoxious than Bale's batvoice in The Dark Knight, but then I've not yet heard Bane for extended periods of time. Maybe Bane's voice was different in the other footage that was played at IMAX, but if they can get Bane sounding like he does in this trailer through the entire movie (and I'm sure they can), it will be fantastic.
  • Looks brilliant. The stadium collapse is much more overtly-VFX-driven than we're used to from Nolan, which was a surprise.
    I know what you mean about Batman in the daytime, Rody - though I think it actually looks good, which is testament to their suit design and general visual style.
    I really hope they keep up the density of plot and character work that they established in the previous two. The most exciting thing is the prospect of an end, rather than the gradual petering out that afflicts all other franchises. Maybe we'll get to see Nolan's version of The Dark Knight Returns, with an old, crippled Batman trying to figure out what to do with his last days.
  • I still hate the zoom that precedes the title, "The Dark Knight Rises", I was really hoping they'd ditch it after the initial teaser trailer. I loved the rest of this though. I am very happy with where Nolan went with this one. It looks like he went big on this one. For me anyway, it seems like this will be a on a much larger scale than the last one, consisting of both the Batman Begins Gotham, consisting of mostly "the Narrows" at the time, and the Dark Knight Gotham which was much more of the higher class Gotham. Definitely excited to see both worlds collide, as I felt like TDK was a brand new Gotham when I saw it originally. I think this will pull it together nicely.
  • Agreed, Matthias. From Selina's lines in the trailer it sounds like that might actually be a core theme of the film: that people have been living the high life in Gotham City and ignoring the underclass that is still present in the Narrows and elsewhere - and now that's going to come and bite them on the ass.
  • There's a lot I like in this trailer - Batman in the Day, the scale of the breakout, the home invasion scene, people abseiling down a well..
    However, that flying thingamajig at 1:51.. not cool. Really hoping this film doesn't part with the realism of the previous ones (sure, there was some silly tech, but flying pod things are a different level for me).
  • Did somebody noted the R from Robin in the card at 12 seconds of the trailler?? The rest looks very good to me, but this looks like a teaser yet.
  • Dan - I thought that was meant to be a helicopter, from stuff I'd read, although the blades were noticeably absent from the shot as far as I could tell.
  • I gotta say, I nerded all over my laptop when I saw this trailer. Oh damn that film looks epic!
  • Empire has a very in-depth analysis of the trailer (warning: spoilers that you could work out for yourself if you went through the trailer with a fine-tooth comb).
    After reading that though, I am even more excited.
  • That looks awesome. Though I hate when they use part of the title in the film within the dialogue within a trailer.
    Hathaway is going to be perfect. Bane is badass, and has a great voice for the character. If only it wasn't so difficult to pick up... The first time through I heard "ashes" and "die." After the 2nd time I heard "something Gotham something ashes, something something die." On the 3rd time I was able to make out "When Gotham is in Ashes," but I had to look it up for the second part, after the 4th and 5th playbacks.
  • Following Empire's analysis, I'm intrigued to see what Bane and Catwoman's motivations are in the film. It almost looks like the film is setting itself up to cover class and financial issues, which could be fascinating.
  • I've noticed the trailers never really did much to interest me in any of the rebooted films... but actually watching them was awesome. I hope it's the same with this again.
  • edited December 2011

Following Empire's analysis, I'm intrigued to see what Bane and Catwoman's motivations are in the film. It almost looks like the film is setting itself up to cover class and financial issues, which could be fascinating.

It definitely seems like it. Just as long as no one is all like, "WE'RE THE 99%", I think it'll be great.
    Ps. I'm really glad Marion Cotillard is in this. She's a fantastic actress, and is absolutely gorgeous to boot. And apparently she is possibly maybe secretly playing Talia Al-Ghul, which could be quite interesting if true.
  • edited December 2011
    Speaking of the female actresses in this, did anyone else feel like Anne Hathaway did a good job playing Selina in the trailer? I know a lot of people had their doubts about her as catwoman but I think, after seeing the trailer, that she'll do a fine job. Anyone else a little reassured at this point?
    It definitely seems like it. Just as long as no one is all like, "WE'RE THE 99%", I think it'll be great.

Agreed! :)

• Speaking of the female actresses in this, did anyone else feel like Anne Hathaway did a good job playing Selina in the trailer? I know a lot of people had their doubts about her as catwoman but I think, after seeing the trailer, that she'll do a fine job. Anyone else a little reassured at this point?

More like entirely assured. She looks and sounds perfect for the role, and with Nolan's direction, I think she's going to be really good. Her delivery on that line was chilling. The whole thing has me very excited.
  • *brain explode* This looks totally sick. I'm so psyched for Bane. Tom Hardy was jacked in Warrior; I bet he'll be even bigger in this.
  • I've liked Tom Hardy in everything except Star Trek Nemesis (which probably wasn't his fault), but the main reason I'm excited about him as Bane is an interview I saw with him on British TV which terrified me. If he can bring some of that to the role it'll work very nicely indeed.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm very interested to see where Nolan puts Joseph Gordon-Levitt in all this. You only see a glimpse of him and his character in the trailer. According to IMDB he'll be playing a character named "John Blake". Not exactly what kind of character that will be but I am definitely very interested to see what kind of role that turns out to be.
    EDIT: I just read the IMDB description and feel dumb. He is going to play a beat cop who is helping Batman take down Bane. It seems like I heard that somewhere, but I don't remember if that was here or elsewhere. Anyway, very excited about seeing what Nolan and JGL do with that role.
  • edited December 2011
    I may or may not have worked at an office Christopher Nolan called, and I put through the call, to speak to someone at, and he may or may not have been looking for advice and directly talked about the ending of the film and being overwhelmed by shooting Occupy Wall Street and trying to find a precise way to incorporate it into the ending montage.
    Just...this movie may or may not be epic as hell.
    Also, I saw the prologue in a special screening about a week ago (had to drive 2 hours away from my house to see if, though)- and am a fan of distorted or under-leveled audio- but even I couldn't decipher a damn word Hardy was saying in the 6 minute scene. I know he says 'we had to find out what he told you' and 'it would be very painful', but that's about it. And I was listening closely[/I].
    If they're going to make him a South American mercenary the way the comic does and the prologue suggests, then they shouldn't have gone all Speak-n-Spell-Eleanor-Roosevelt-Trans-Atlantic with his voice/accent. Really worrying move, especially considering his 10 words in the trailer alone have people scratching their heads.
    That and the CGI-fest football game (also not loving the lack of film verisimilitude with making up a faux-Steelers 'Gotham Rogues' football team, seems very 'couldn't get the NFL rights-y' cheap and fake and all kinds of silly) have me uneasy in the same way the hundreds of blue cellphone-vision screens did in The Dark Knight.
    But other than that, looks fantastic. Super excited.

• I may or may not have worked at an office Christopher Nolan called, and I put through the call, to speak to someone at, and he may or may not have been looking for advice and directly talked about the ending of the film and being overwhelmed by shooting Occupy Wall Street and trying to find a precise way to incorporate it into the ending montage.

That may or may not have been me pranking you.
  • Why is this the end of the series?? A movie that pulls in that amount of cash over and over again! I dont like C Bale as batman at all! What is this about the R in the cards?
  • edited December 2011
    Re: Andrew: I thought Nolan didn't end up shooting any Occupy Wall Street?
    Wow, this is a great trailer. It shows a lot of awesome footage, while giving away next to nothing about the story. I really like Tom Hardy as Bane... he looks like the proper "physical" challenge we really haven't seen Batman face in this series. Actually, that's been one of the very few weaknesses of these Batman films --- that the action scenes aren't really too amazing. Here's hoping Bane can change that.
    This trailer has also sold me on Anne Hathaway. Although I generally like her as an actress, I was pretty worried that she didn't have the range to pull off Catwoman. She looks and sounds utterly terrific here, though.
    As far as the plot goes, my educated guess would be that Bane is either a member of, or is working for the League of Shadows. His line in the trailer, "When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die" made me remember back to the first film, where I think Rha's Al Ghul said something similar --- that he had returned to "burn Gotham to ashes" or "raze Gotham to the ground" --- or something along those lines. It wouldn't surprise me to actually see Liam Neeson appear in the film, since he's immortal in the comics. I know "immortality" would be a bit out of place in Nolan's universe... but maybe he didn't actually die in the first film? Or maybe he'll appear in flashbacks of some sort? I dunno... I just have this hunch that Nolan's going to tie this film back to the first one, thematically. Did anyone else get a hint of a "Batman Begins" vibe mixed in with all "The Dark Knight-y-ness" of the trailer?
    Only thing I don't particularly like is the shot of the field collapse. While it doesn't necessarily look "bad"... it doesn't quite look right. I think it's too much "displacement ripple" and not enough "dirt" and/or "grit". Hopefully they'll clean that up by summer.
  • I really like the fact that Bane is established so strongly as a character, that halfway through the trailer, they can have a shot of him in silhouette, and he's a instantly identifiable, iconic character.

• Why is this the end of the series?? A movie that pulls in that amount of cash over and over again!

To be honest, I'm glad it is. I love Nolanman, but it wouldn't work if they just continued pumping out sequels, and Nolan probably wants to do something else with his career (likewise Bale, Morgan and the rest). This way we get an awesome trilogy which will hopefully end well (and of course, rumours that a reboot is already being planned would mean its not long before we get another Batman anyway..).

What is this about the R in the cards?

I assume you're referring to the Robin-esque "R" one of the extras holds up in a few shots? There's two explanations for this: either Robin is in the film and Nolan has somehow covered it up, or the more likely explanation that someone thought it would be funny. Either the extra acting of his own accord, as the official story goes, or someone sanctioning it as a homage (though surely not to Batman and Robin, that film was awful..).
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, one of the extras made the "R" sign, and Nolan just decided to leave it in as a sort of reference or homage. Nolan's been pretty vocal that Robin will never appear in his films... that he's still in a crib somewhere at this point in the timeline. Could Joseph Gordon-Levitt be playing Robin, like all the fanboys are suggesting? I guess... but it would really surprise me.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm glad they've kept Robin out for the most part. This new "redesigned" Batman doesn't really need a child/teenage/young-adult sidekick. What more do you need when you have morgan freeman running a computer that can use cell phone signals to create a virtual map of the entire city?
  • Also consider that the last time Robin was featured in a Batman movie was the abysmal Batman & Robin, and before that he was played by Burt Ward. I can't imagine a Robin that isn't considered campy and "sidekicky", and Nolan's Batman has no place for something like that.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment