Battleship Trailer

New trailer is out for Battleship:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YatZXieJsL4
I have no shame when it comes to these kind of movies, so of course I'll see it! Looks to be a lot of fun. Looks like a rip off of the Transformers series though; from the color grading to the transforming machines. Thoughts?

Comments

• People always complain about movies like this. Transformers, Battle: LA, 2012, Avatar, etc.
    OF COURSE the plot is going to be "meh" and OF COURSE the acting is going to be a bit corny. Why are people always surprised by this? These movies are meant to be people-pleasers. Eye candy. A bit shallow. Who cares? They're made to be that way!
    Of course, I'd much rather watch more story driven films like Apocalypse Now or Saving Private Ryan. However, this kind of movie is great if I want to defrag before an exam or to just have some stress-free fun.
    Sorry for that rant, but seeing this made me remember why I cant go to the movies with my friends anymore xD
  • Looks terrible, but I do imagine it'll be a good amount of mindless fun. I'll probably check it out at some point. I've said it before, but if Liam Neeson doesn't yell, "YOU SUNK MY BATTLESHIP", it'll be a wasted opportunity.
    I just don't really see why it needs to be called Battleship. The game Battleship can't be a very big draw for the types of people who want to go see this movie, so it could be called just about anything and people will still go see it. I just wonder what's the point of making a movie like this as a tie-in for a game that it clearly has nothing to do with. So strange, and so funny.
    It's also interesting how many big budget CGI-fest alien invasion films there have been lately, and how similar they are. I guarantee Battleship will shoehorn in some explanation for the aliens being there that goes like, "They came to harvest our resources/human bodies/water/whatever," or "They were here all along laying in wait until the perfect moment to strike, so they can steal our resources/fashion tips/Hasbro toys."
  • but if Liam Neeson doesn't yell, "YOU SUNK MY BATTLESHIP", it'll be a wasted opportunity.

I would love to see that worked in...
  • I don't remember seeing these ships in my old Hasbo Battleship game :D I'll have to dig it back out and see if I mislaid that particular ship.
  • I'm going to go against popular opinion here, I happen to like some of the concept driven movies. Granted the plots are rather simple- go into a neighborhood in L.A. and get some people out of a police station in the middle of an alien invasion- simple yes, but the idea that jellyfish are the attackers freaks me out on some level. Ergo, the script doesn't have to be intricate.
    There wasn't much of a plot in Cloverfield either. Guy goes to get his girlfriend in the middle of a giant monster attack. I prefer to think of it as a love story where all this incredible stuff happens along the way but in the end the guy gets the girl. Come on- what do you expect from such simple plots? It's the concept that makes me like it. If I'm captivated by a concept I guess I don't need a well written script if the movie's plot is executed well i.e. the realism, the little things that happen to change a character etc. I've always been a minimalist on words in movies and I tend to think that actually having to pay attention to know what's going on because there aren't a lot of wordy scenes makes for the best movie viewing anyway.
    I have a feeling Battleship is going to be the same type of thing. From previous previews, looks like it has an Armegeddon type thing going on with daddy and the kid going after daddy's daughter. But then daddy gets killed and kid takes over. Don't know anything about the aliens and it does look like a lot of eye candy but if you know what it's like before it hits the theater you always have the option to not spend your money on it. I mean, I'm the same way with chick flicks. If I don't see it, no one has to listen to me whine about how lousy it was, right? :P
  • I really hate this.
  • edited December 2011
    If I'm captivated by a concept I guess I don't need a well written script if the movie's plot is executed well i.e. the realism, the little things that happen to change a character etc. I've always been a minimalist on words in movies and I tend to think that actually having to pay attention to know what's going on because there aren't a lot of wordy scenes makes for the best movie viewing anyway.

Well executed plot, character development, and minimal dialog, the things which you like, ALL hinge having a good script. Granted, extended scenes without dialog also require skilled direction so you can still follow what's going on, but they are equally dependent on the writer knowing what he is doing well enough that he knows exactly when dialogue is necessary, and when to leave it out.
    As Alfred Hitchcock once said, "If it's a good movie, the sound could go off and the audience would still have a perfectly clear idea of what was going on." But if the writer relies on dialogue and exposition to explain everything (also known as Bad Writing), this won't be possible. And in general, popcorn flicks like this are among the worst perpetrators of this.
    As to this film in particular, there is no reason whatsoever to base a film on Battleship. It might be fun, and will likely have some cool effects, but pretending it has anything to do with the board game is idiotic.
  • Point taken, Axel. Then I don't know why I liked Battle Los Angeles if the script is as bad as some here say. :( Am I really that shallow?
  • Well, I think the other issue to understand is that quality and enjoyableness aren't always the same thing. You can have cool flashy visuals that are fun to see connected to any script. And its not uncommon that films that are flawed significantly in the script area are strong in other technical areas, like visual effects, sound, score, etc, which can also be enjoyed.
    I don't know why you liked Battle Los Angeles. :P

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment