Starship Troopers Remake planned

Hollywood is apparently hell bent on remaking Paul Verhoeven's 1980's/90's classics, Starship Troopers is set to join the likes of the currently in post-production Total Recall remake and the proposed RoboCop remake.
Source
I am not pleased about this, neither was i happy about RoboCop and Total Recall, It's like Neal Moritz is purposely setting out to destroy my childhood. I fear the subtext of these movies will also be removed and we'll just have some bland, soulless glossy remake of these cult classics.
Any thoughts?

Comments

• Yes, lots. ;)
    The amusing thing about all of these Verhoeven remakes is that it's his (and possibly Neumier's) involvement that made the films any good in the first place. Robocop should have been a crap film, as should Starship Troopers, given the circumstances in which they were made - but in both cases Verhoeven added a subversive, satirical edge that made them into something special.
    The lame nature of the Robocop and Starship Troopers sequels goes to show how crucial Verhoeven's style and thematic interests were to the success of the originals.
    Of course, with Starship Troopers there's always the possibility of returning to the source novel and making something that swings closer to that, but without the social awareness that Verhoeven brings it could end up being a strange film indeed.
  • I for one would love to Starship Troopers done closer to the book. I was SO looking forward to seeing the powered armor in action, and got WWII in space instead. One of these guys in the book could have taken out a company of stormtroopers on his own.
    "Let's see, I'll jump a couple blocks and launch one of my tactical nukes when I touch down..."
    The Starship Troopers movie had its moments, but to me was a huge letdown. Kind of like the original Conan the Barbarian movie that had the kid pushing that 'hot walker' around for years until he turn into Arnold Schwartzeneger. Conan was a barbarian raider, not a gladiator slave.
    In both cases, they got the names right (mostly), but that was about it.
    <grumble mode, off>
  • Star ship troopers greatest feature for me was its satirical edge. This is why I can watch starship troopers troopers now, and still enjoy it in 5/10 years. I don't what a remake can bring tbh...
  • Oh hey cool! Another waste of time and labor to fuel Hollywood. Who knows? Maybe something special will come from it.... Film is such a young artform, there's no need for all this. It's an insult to the authors, and to the filmmakers who were given their opportunity with the source material. There's plenty of better things to do than remake recent Hollywood films, or do something that's already been done before. These are the kinds of movies that deserve to be pirated, assuming it ends up being one of them. I guess it's understandable in the current economy, but come on... Let's see something new, there's PLENTY of other things they could be doing.
    $$$
  • I must admit, I'm not much of a reader, at all, so I haven't read the Starship Troopers book; a remake could work if it was more faithful and wasn't attempting to re create the '97 film, I think Verhoeven's film holds up pretty well, the visual effects on the creatures are still fantastic, and incredibly well integrated with the on set puppets.
    I still find the notion of remaking the film pointless, it was only released 14 years ago, and i don't think anyone has ever thought "hey, you know what's screaming to be remade? Starship troopers! just think about all the money we could make if we removed best things about it and made it PG-13!"
    I see the film loosing the subtext and ending up like Battle Los Angeles, a piss poor generic script, that would be suited to a videogame, some "AMERICA YEAH! crap" and some weak underlying comparison "it's like Afghanistan/Vietnam".
  • Starship Troopers is in my opinion a great movie that I have to watch once every few years. I know some people love it and some hate it - well I for one love it.
    I agree with Simon, Verhoeven's take on these movies is what makes them work. Not too sure how anyone else could make it work. We'll have to wait and see and hope that they don't go the same way as the lame sequels.
  • As another fan of the original Starship Troopers, I'd hate to see it lose all of its edge. Haven't read the book.. maybe I should. If there's one thing Hollywood is obsessed with though, it's remaking things that were fine already. Starship Troopers, Scarface, American Psycho...
  • MaxMax
    edited December 2011
    What a waste of time. It is really, genuinely irritating to see so many remakes, when, as serpent said they are made in favor of original, interesting stuff. I love Starship Troopers, but why would you remake it? Oh, yeah, because it has aliens and guns in it and it can be fed through the studio machine that uses those ingredients so frequently to make another bland, generic, rubbish film. It's like Battleships, what a pile of absolute sh*t, just the concept alone is hugely insulting to anyone who can think. I hate how complacent Hollywood is, that's what annoys me most about this, what a waste of time. Creativity? Na, guns and aliens and noise and stuff, that's what people want to see, oh and chuck some models in as well and pretend they can act, that should be fine.
  • I agree with pretty much all of the comments above. I love the original (and indeed the original Robocop and Total Recall). From the other thread I had begun to fear that hardly anyone seemed to appreciate Starship Troopers, but this thread has restored my faith in humanity!
  • Okay you guys really need to read the book. You can probably down load it, or it could be an audio book by now. No special affects are as good as what your mind can do!!!! Also there is only one reason to make these movies, well maybe two. One greed, which is not necessarily bad. But in this case, I'm thinking it for the cold hard cash. And two, There is a vacuum of creativity in Hollywood.
  • Yeah, I'm having trouble fathoming a "remake" of Verhoeven's ST... another adaption of the book makes a lot more sense. I think a more faithful adaptation will be much closer to Tigerland than Star Wars, which probably would not draw as many crowds. Most of the book is spent on just protocol and how important the mindset of the soldier is than actually fighting any bugs.

• What a waste of time. It is really, genuinely irritating to see so many remakes, when, as serpent said they are made in favor of original, interesting stuff. I love Starship Troopers, but why would you remake it? Oh, yeah, because it has aliens and guns in it and it can be fed through the studio machine that uses those ingredients so frequently to make another bland, generic, rubbish film. It's like Battleships, what a pile of absolute sh*t, just the concept alone is hugely insulting to anyone who can think. I hate how complacent Hollywood is, that's what annoys me most about this, what a waste of time. Creativity? Na, guns and aliens and noise and stuff, that's what people want to see, oh and chuck some models in as well and pretend they can act, that should be fine.

I agree with you on the first point (see above)... but I can't wait for Battleship. I just want to see shit explode and have no issue with films like this being made. The design of the aliens also remind me a lot of Skyline and Crysis, which is cool.
  • edited December 2011
    Cypher!

Okay you guys really need to read the book. You can probably down load it, or it could be an audio book by now. No special affects are as good as what your mind can do!!!! Also there is only one reason to make these movies, well maybe two. One greed, which is not necessarily bad. But in this case, I'm thinking it for the cold hard cash. And two, There is a vacuum of creativity in Hollywood.

Books are great, yes, and we should read the book for sure. But keep in mind: this is a film forum, so discussion is going to revolve around film for the most part. Books are a great source for quality screen play.
    Greed is totally bad though. Money is necessary for business, but "greed" is not. Sorry for calling out semantics, but I just really loathe greed... That's exactly what this is.
    There certainly is a vacuum for creativity in Hollywood though. Most truly interesting films these days are independently produced outside of the system, before they get to distribution. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though. A lot of fun comes out of Hollywood, and a lot of good stuff too.

• There certainly is a vacuum for creativity in Hollywood though.

Not just Hollywood/movies, it's videogames too. This year, with the exception of LA Noire... every game I've played was a not just a sequel, but a "threequel" (Call of Duty/Uncharted/Killzone). Not to say these games were bad (or movie sequels are bad)... but if mid-2000's were a sequel time... now sure feels like its gone to trilogy time.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment