The Best Camera

Hello,I am interested in buying the hit film ultimate software. I am wondering which is the best caera to buy as my current camera is cheap rubbish and can't be edited using the advance software.
My question is what is the best affordable (as in under £500) camera for the software
Thanks for reading hope you reply.

Comments

• Its not that simple. What are your criteria for 'best'? Easiest to use? Highest quality image? What features do you require? Autofocus? Manual focus? Full manual control of everything? Shallowest depth of field possible? Do you need the onboard audio to be as good as possible? Do you need inputs for external mics, for professional-quality audio? Does audio matter? There's tons of options to consider, and there is not a single camera that will score highly on every one, so you need to determine what features and options are most important to you.
  • Good point Axel how unprofessional of me. ;D
    So I am looking for the camera that is Hd and works on the software with manual focus pretty much a camera you would use.
  • edited November 2011
    I'd recommend one of the Canon DSLR options, such as the 500D, as they give excellent image quality, nice shallow DOF, and allow you to use different lenses if you want. But, you HAVE to manually focus, which means more time setting up, and if your subject is moving at all, you need to figure out appropriate settings for a depth of field where they won't get out of focus, or else some sort of rig to pull focus. Also, you have limited record times, so they don't work well for recording live events, and the onboard audio is rubbish, so you need to have an alternate way to handle audio. Some of these features could cause issues for some users. Nothing else comes close to the image quality to price ratio, though.
  • The camera I am looking to buy is the Sony a33 or cannon 550d, they are around £400-£500 and they both have he film capabilities, along with having their own mic input jack thingy, so u can use a microphone!
    Theyre also compact, (they are dslr cameras) and most film makers are starting to use DSLRs now, :)
    Hope this helped
    Ps, they also have interchangeable lenses so you should be able to get auto focus and manual focus, that's why I like DSLRs, as they can have manual focus, but on most camcorder they is no option for manual focus
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone loads of help.#
    Oh and thanks for not mentioning any 35mm cameras I really dislike them.
  • I don't think there are any 35mm cameras that would fall into an 'under £500' category. And even if there were, due to the hugely expensive nature of film, and the convenience of digital, virtually no one on the non-professional arena is going to recommend film-based gear.
  • I heard from somewhere that dslr's because of their huge image censor overheat and have to be turned off every half an hour or so. That doesn't sound very cool. How could you get any filming done. I realize you have some breaks in between takes but it would still be a pain. I'm wondering cause I myself am really thinking about one. Thanks
  • DSLR cameras can heat up and it's said it adds noise to the footage; but turning it off every half hour isn't a necessity, when you think about it, if you are filming a narrative film it is highly unlikely that you will be shooting a solid half hour/ hour, you will have a break or have to put the camera down to reset/ set up a new shot. So simply turn it off if it needs it.
    Even if you're filming a documentary or something, you will rarely be shooting solidly, if you are then you are clearly doing it for a job, many photographers - probably even videographers using DSLR camera would carry two cameras.
  • Yeah that's true. How long does it usually need to be off after it overheats?
    I was looking at other cameras and ran into the Canon XL2 and the JVC GY-HD 100U. Know anything about them? Both have interchangeable lenses. Would the SLR lenses be able to fit on the canon?
    Sorry for the questions and thanks for the help.
  • I am familiar with the JVC GY-HD 100U or one of it's variants, and that camera is essentially a studio camera. I'm not big of shooting in a studio, so i have taken one of these models out on location various times, while it performed as it should have, but it was also clunky and really not necessary for people who aren't working in studios extensively, or doing news reports.
    The XL2 was a fantastic camera a few years back, as some of the fxhome veterans will tell you, but now it's outdated, and overpriced £3500- £4400? you're paying for the glass in the lens, not the camera (which isn't even HD).
    If you can spend that much on a camera then check out the Sony NEX FS100, but i doubt you'll want to part with so much cash.
    You could get a canon 60D or 5D Mark II, a range lenses, and some good equipment like should supports, tripods and more for less than the body of a FS100. Bare in mind that the FS100 has a super 35mm sensor, fantastic for night shoots, and doesn't have all the downfalls the DSLR's have.
    I'm not trying to sway you straight to buying a DSLR, it's good that you are checking around, but the DSLR is one of the most versatile cameras you could get for your money, their inconspicuous, light weight, and give you fantastic results (when you know how to use it correctly).
    the best way to judge what camera is best for you, is for you to say what your usage will be.
  • I think I really like the JVC. But not really sure yet. I want the cinematic look which the SLR's offer. I read that SLR's because they only have one censor are not as good with special effects and green screen composting where as the JVC and others that have three separate image censors are better with effects and greenscreen. Although I'm not sure how much the effects would lessen the quality of the final comp.
  • Since yesterday I am using a Panasonic Lumix-GH2... great Pictures with the KIT-Lense... cant wait for some Prime Lenses, giving me an even better Picture in dark Areas...
    The GH2 is THE Indie-Cam at the Moment, beating also all Canon-Stuff... just as a Hint. ;-)
  • It does look pretty nice. Oh man all the choices. This is so hard. Not that I'm buying one right now but I think it is probably good to look around. How are the SLR's in post production with VFX? Is there a loss of quality?
  • For everyone's information: the Canon 600D/T3i no longer has the overheating problem.
  • Also, I've never encountered the overheating problem with my 60D or the office 550D. For narrative filmmaking where takes are relatively short, it really isn't a problem.
  • I've seen good things from the GH2, but bare in mind the sensor is much smaller than whats in the lower priced Canon DSLRs, but the native lenses for the GH2 are apparently poor/ average, but there are adaptors to fit just about any lens to it, and i've read some interesting articles on a Anamorphic lens + GH2 combination.
    I checked out your Youtube Viktorious, and saw you are mostly doing narrative shorts, and in confined spaces I.E. a house. I wouldn't both with the JVC at all, it's not a filmmakers camera, it's more of a studio/ news camera and in comparison isn't worth it. You will find the DSLR cameras far more suited to your needs, compact, quick, adaptable.
    I don't know what your budget is, but considering you have been looking at cameras up to the $3500 price range, i'll guess you have a bit more to work with than most.
    Get something like a 60D (larger range of settings than the 600d) should set you back around $700/$800
    Buy a few lenses, a 50mm + 35mm; check out m42 fit lenses on ebay if your looking for a bargain.
    A shoulder rig, check ebay again $160, an extra you wont regret
    A mic, i have a Rode stereo VideoMic $150
    more extras that most DSLR filmmakers recommend:
    Zoom h4n audio recorder
    Boom pole/ boom mic
    A Stabiliser like a glide cam or steadicam
    The prices i put are just guesses, and sometimes you can get some of these set ups pretty cheap, I was talking to one of the Students at my Uni and she managed to get hold of a 600d, a couple of lenses and some starter equipment for just over £700 (i remember getting my 550d on it's own for that price), be smart and look for the deals.
  • Oh yeah believe me I look around for hours on every possible site. No actually I don't have more money then most but I'm in the process of saving.
    You did sort of change my mind. The slr's are really compact. Has anyone done effects with SLR's. Well I know you've done some but just wondering how it is in post. Thanks
  • I've done lots of VFX shots on DSLRs, as long as you have your camera set up correctly, you will not have any issues doing effects. Bare in mind that it takes more than a good camera to sell an effect, think framing, distance, interaction and colour.
    I generally only work with 2d composites and i've used footage from both the 550D and the 5D, both have given me great results that have been clean and "easy" to work with. Since you are upgrading from an SD camera with Auto settings, you should fine the footage much nicer to play around with. If you wanted some test footage to play around with, i have a thread with some raw footage from DSLR's what you are more than welcome to practice with.
  • Well that's good to know. I think I'm pretty close to being "in" with all you DSLR people.
    Thanks for the help and right now I am way to busy to practice around with the footage but I would definitely be up to it later thanks.
  • DSLRs are the best! Gorgeous footage, you look like a boss, and hey you have a freakin amazing stills camera all in one, all under a thousand dollars!
    I have a Canon T2i and I completely recommend it without fault but you might look into some of the newer models or more expensive ones if you have the money.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment