(Another) Doctor Who movie?

This just in from Empire magazine: David Yates (of Harry Potter fame) is working with the BBC on a Doctor Who movie.
Excerpts from the article:
[quote]Yes, Gallifrey’s most famous son (sorry, Master) has been rumoured as a cinematic project before, but this time it’s looking much closer to official – even if “much closer” still means “a few years away.” "We're looking at writers now. We're going to spend two to three years to get it right," Yates said in a statement picked up by Variety. "It needs quite a radical transformation to take it into the bigger arena."
But there’s an added wrinkle. Much like the two 1960s’ Peter Cushing-fronted movies, this will be a totally standalone adventure with nary a whiff of Matt Smith and co. "Russell T. Davies and then Steven Moffat have done their own transformations, which were fantastic, but we have to put that aside and start from scratch," Yates says. Yes, folks, it’s real: the Doctor is now a brand and the Beeb is happy to spin off some completely independent version. Anger? Debate? Oh, both of them are kicking off right now.[/quote]
While I am slightly excited by this, I'm also terrified. The phrases "radical transformation" and "start from scratch" are worrying - are they implying they will disregard all of the (admittedly sometimes wonky) canon to date, and reinvent the Doctor? Maybe that's a good thing though, so we can play the alt-Universe card and pretend it never happened..
Can a big budget Who work? Sure, the new series has a fairly large budget, but it still has flaws and shortcuts, which give it a lot of charm.
And who will play the Doctor? (Benedict would be a choice I could endorse here) Will they bring in some of the traditional villains and attempt to jazz them up for the big screen?
Freaking out a little.

Comments

• edited November 2011
    Id rather this didn't happen at all. I would be happy with about 15 or so good episodes of Doctor Who a year

If it follows the previous model of the movies where they are as well as and a separate continuity to the BBC show id say go for it, A proper Monster Invasion movie like Daleks or Cybermen showing the true scale and horror an invasion could
    If it messes up the TV show I will not be that happy at all. Doctor Who should be about ideas not big bugets.
    While it had its flaws I really enjoyed The last couple of series of Doctor Who.
    I suppose it could be great I didnt think Catherine Tate would be a good assistant and I was wrong, I didnt think Matt Smith was the right choice to be the Doctor after about 5mins I thought he was great and I didnt think Russel T Davis could write science fiction, no I was right about the last one.
    ooh and Id want Richard Ayoade to be the Doctor

• If it follows the previous model of the movies where they are as well as and a separate continuity to the BBC show id say go for it, A proper Monster Invasion movie like Daleks or Cybermen showing the true scale and horror an invasion...

Yeah if the film did a decent invasion that might be ok, as long as they don't mess with established creatures. Another person suggested doing the Time War might be interesting, not a bad idea since that's too epic a thing to be covered by any TV series, it would cost too much and go on too long.

While it had its flaws I really enjoyed The last couple of series of Doctor Who.
    I suppose it could be great I didnt think Catherine Tate would be a good assistant and I was wrong, I didnt think Matt Smith was the right choice to be the Doctor after about 5mins I thought he was great and I didnt think Russel T Davis could write science fiction, no I was right about the last one.

I was similarly wrong about Tate. I have to say, I haven't enjoyed some of the Moffat episodes, there's been a little too much overthinking/paradoxes everywhere for my tastes. My major criticism of both Davies and Moffat though are these ridiculous ensemble villain episodes, such as the story in which the Daleks, Cybermen and just about everyone else united to stop the Doctor. Utter rubbish, that would never happen. The current thinking seems to be that each series must end with some sort of epic battle between the Doctor and as many villains as possible, which is generally naff, and devalues the villains since the Doctor usually takes them all out single-handed.

• I was similarly wrong about Tate. I have to say, I haven't enjoyed some of the Moffat episodes, there's been a little too much overthinking/paradoxes everywhere for my tastes. My major criticism of both Davies and Moffat though are these ridiculous ensemble villain episodes, such as the story in which the Daleks, Cybermen and just about everyone else united to stop the Doctor. Utter rubbish, that would never happen. The current thinking seems to be that each series must end with some sort of epic battle between the Doctor and as many villains as possible, which is generally naff, and devalues the villains since the Doctor usually takes them all out single-handed.

I have a horrible feeling when all the villians reunited it was because there was a Doctor Who stage show and a BBC executive probly went "we need all the monsters at the same time" so it was similar to the stage show.
    The treatment of the existing monsters was rather poor im moffets run . The Cybermen seem to have been reduced to a low threat easily defeated villian. The New Daleks did nothing but run away in a space ship and then a couple of them got easily defeated. The Silurians were done ok but I think they looked a bit star trecky. I did quite like the Sontaron nurse though
  • I didnt think Russel T Davis could write science fiction, no I was right about the last one.

Hehehe, indeed.
    The movie idea sounds like a very strange move. I'm surprised the BBC are willing to let somebody mess around with a very successful franchise, without tying it in to the TV series. Maybe there's some weird rights issues which mean the BBC don't have say of movie versions?
    Anyway, I can't wait to see David Yates bring his trademark overlong, understated, dreary style to Doctor Who.
  • When I first heard about this earlier today, I was a little worried until I read the part about it being separate from the TV series. As long as that is the case, I don't mind. The previous two movies, "Doctor Who and the Daleks" and "Daleks Invasion Earth" were kept separate from the TV show and didn't really do any damage, and if this is another "retelling" it may be somewhat annoying to us long-time fans, but as Daniel and Thelurkerish said, as long as it is a separate continuity, if it's bad, we can just ignore it as if it doesn't exist.
  • IMHO - It won't happen. At least, not whilst they are still making the TV series.
    Perhaps a few years after the series has been decomissioned, then they might think about it.
    But until then, it's pie in the sky - just remember how long they were throwing around the idea of a Red Dwarf movie... and they *still* haven't gotten around to making it. That was in development for what, 12 years?
  • Oh god, im sorry but the last time Hollywood tried a doc who movie... " shudder "

• IMHO - It won't happen. At least, not whilst they are still making the TV series.
    Perhaps a few years after the series has been decomissioned, then they might think about it.
    But until then, it's pie in the sky - just remember how long they were throwing around the idea of a Red Dwarf movie... and they *still* haven't gotten around to making it. That was in development for what, 12 years?

I hope you're right, though Red Dwarf has a smaller audience than DW. The glowing dollar signs in Beeb eyes can't be underestimated.
  • I think Red Dwarf would be an odd choice for a movie as much as I enjoy it its more just a character driven sitcom set in space.
    Its a shame the BBC can pour some of the money they raise from Doctor Who into a movie msde in Britan using all British talent instead of wasting it on stuff they do make
    As for the show being Decomishoned it really shouldnt ever be given the money it raises and there is a very large Audiance who only use the BBC for watching Doctor Who who arnt served by the private sector.
    What needs to happen with Doctor Who is about every five years the show should change the creative team, writing style and Doctor to keep it fresh.
    I think the British Scifi show I would like to see given the movie treatment is Misfits

• I think the British Scifi show I would like to see given the movie treatment is Misfits

It's a little off-topic, but I'll bite. Bring back Blake's 7...
  • [quote]"I hope you're right, though Red Dwarf has a smaller audience than DW."[/quote]
    I wouldn't be so sure - at the height of it's success, Red Dwarf was getting 8 million viewers per episode, and was one of their most sold programmes. I believe that the most recent series of DW has been averaging around 6 million viewers per episode. Obviously times have changed, and there are more people timeshifting and not watching live (on the iPlayer etc), so drawing a direct comparison is difficult - and to a certain extent, meaningless - but still, at the time RD was one of the BBC's most popular programmes, and certainly one of the most profitable given its shoe-string budgets. The fact that despite US interest they still didn't make a movie - that says a lot to me.
    [quote]"Its a shame the BBC can pour some of the money they raise from Doctor Who into a movie msde in Britan using all British talent instead of wasting it on stuff they do make"[/quote]
    I do feel like I need to stick up for the BBC here (and not just because they have been my paymasters for several years, but because I believe that they're one of the things that make Britain great, and something we should protect) - they are in a very difficult position of trying to provide content that will please everyone, whilst also performing a valuable public service. I'd be interested to hear what you think is a 'waste' of their money. I can almost certainly guarantee that there are people out there saying the same thing, but about expensive series such as Dr Who and Torchwood. As I say, they're in a difficult position, and people are too quick to criticise (especially the right-wing tabloid press and the Tories... but that's another matter altogether).

• I wouldn't be so sure - at the height of it's success, Red Dwarf was getting 8 million viewers per episode, and was one of their most sold programmes. I believe that the most recent series of DW has been averaging around 6 million viewers per episode. Obviously times have changed, and there are more people timeshifting and not watching live (on the iPlayer etc), so drawing a direct comparison is difficult - and to a certain extent, meaningless - but still, at the time RD was one of the BBC's most popular programmes, and certainly one of the most profitable given its shoe-string budgets. The fact that despite US interest they still didn't make a movie - that says a lot to me.

I do feel like I need to stick up for the BBC here (and not just because they have been my paymasters for several years, but because I believe that they're one of the things that make Britain great, and something we should protect) - they are in a very difficult position of trying to provide content that will please everyone, whilst also performing a valuable public service. I'd be interested to hear what you think is a 'waste' of their money. I can almost certainly guarantee that there are people out there saying the same thing, but about expensive series such as Dr Who and Torchwood. As I say, they're in a difficult position, and people are too quick to criticise (especially the right-wing tabloid press and the Tories... but that's another matter altogether).

I could give a big long list of whats wrong with the BBC but as this is such a pleasant supportive forum I wouldnt want to lower the drag down the tone of the forum getting into a slanging match . There is a lot of things that the BBC do right and well and like you I do believe its broad principles and think it should be protected.
    A Blakes 7 movie would be awesome. Ive only watched Blakes 7 when it was first on and would like to rewatch it all
  • All I know is I miss David Tennant. He's been my favorite Doctor so far. :mellow:

• Call off the alarm. :D Steven Moffat to the rescue.

phew Some good news there

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment