Missile Smoke Help

How do I move the missile smoke? Well, I can move it, but the smoke trail doesn't follow back. I thought that if I moved the point, the smoke would follow, but it seems that the effect doesn't seem affected when I move it. Please help. You guys can't get these tutorials online soon enough Lol

Comments

• The key there is in understanding the difference between the Transform controls, which move the entire timeline layer containing the smoke effect, and the Emitter Shape controls, which move the effect around within the layer.
    The simplest way to animate the missile smoke is probably to create a Point using the New Layer menu on the timeline, and animate the point using its Transform controls. Then, for the missile smoke effect, open the Emitters > Emitter > Shape controls, and attach the effect to the Point that you just animated. You should then get a trail of smoke following the position of your point wherever it goes.
  • edited July 2011
    Okay so I don't know if there's an easier way to do it, but for me until now only that worked:
    Create a point and animate it's movement like you want to move the "tip" of the smoke trail, and then, on the control panel of the Missile Smoke Effect expand the General controls and, at "Attach to layer", select the point you've animated. This makes the point emit the smoke and leaves already generated smoke where it was generated and creates the trail you want.
    Also, none of the transform controls of the missile smoke will work, you have to use the transform controls of the point it's attached to.
    EDIT: Oh well, It took me 4 minutes too long to write this... :D
  • Ok I will try that. BTW is there way to freely move an object without having to use the X, Y, Z axis? It seems that I can only move them on one axis at a time. Thanks.
  • Ok it worked! I'm animating all kind of smoke trails! I didn't even have to watch an Andrew Kramer tutorial!
  • Hikaru755 - its not that the Transform controls for the smoke don't work, its that they serve a different purpose. They move the timeline layer which contains the smoke effect.
    This is very important if, for one example, after animating the smoke, you want to matchmove the effect to a shot where the camera is moving. To do so, you need to be able to manipulate the entire layer, without affecting the animation which you have applied to the smoke.
  • Ah okay, didn't figure that one out. Thanks! :)
  • edited July 2011
    Hey, I'm trying to create a mask so I can make the smoke pass behind an object, but it won't let me make the mask. I read you can only put masks in a composite shot, but it's not working even if I am in the composite shot. Any ideas?
    In the Manual it talks about Embedding, but it doesn't tell you how to do it (or I can't find where it tells how to do it)
    I have attached a picture. I can't find out how to put that smoke at the top right behind the building.
  • In the Manual it talks about Embedding, but it doesn't tell you how to do it (or I can't find where it tells how to do it)

You can embed a composite shot into another. To mask the smoke trail you have to make it a separate comp shot without the scene background, then place the composite shot with the smoke trail as a layer in another composite shot with the beckground beneath it and then mask it.
    This is the way to go to mask any 3D effect, you always have to convert them into a 2D composite shot to mask them.
  • To add to that, converting them is as simple as right-clicking the effect and selecting "Make Composite Shot." Then you can mask it as necessary. But since masks word in 2D, the 3D effect has to be flattened before a mask can be applied. Converting it to a composite shot handles this, while still allowing you to open the comp shot to edit the original effect in 3D if necessary.
  • edited July 2011
    It's not working. When I selected the Smoke layer and make it into a composite shot, I lose all the animation and it goes back to being just a dot. No more movement, no more trail. I also tried to still mask it, but that mask still didn't work. Turning it into a composite shot did nothing to get a 2d, it's still very much 3d.
    EDIT: So I improvised (don't how I didn't think of this) by just doubling the video layer and covering the smoke with it, but I still would like to get the embedding thing to work.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gSc_vufX6Y
  • The video is private... maybe set it to "unlisted" instead?
  • How do I get my smoke to stay in the air. I have the animation I want but the already generated smoke doesnt stay.
    Thanks!

• How do I get my smoke to stay in the air. I have the animation I want but the already generated smoke doesnt stay.

I guess you mean that the smoke disappears too fast? If so, you can under the controls panel increase the linger value of the smoke. but I just noticed, that makes it stay only a bit longer, as you can just turn it up to 100 and not more... :mellow:

• It's not working. When I selected the Smoke layer and make it into a composite shot, I lose all the animation and it goes back to being just a dot. No more movement, no more trail. I also tried to still mask it, but that mask still didn't work. Turning it into a composite shot did nothing to get a 2d, it's still very much 3d.

Did you animate using a point which you linked the particle effect to? If so, when you created a comp from the missile smoke, it would have been put into the new comp without the point layer. Hence no more animation.
    Try this:
    1. In the media panel, create a new comp at the res you need.
    2. Add the background image/video.
    3. Now drag in the composite shot you were working on previously (the one with the animated missile in). This will embed the missile comp.
    4. Make sure in the missile comp you have the background turned off.
    5. You now have the background plate with an embedded comp of the missile. Leave the embedded comp as 2D, and you can now mask it as required.
  • i am having trouble with the missile smoke. when i keyframe it to move (under the general tab) it wont actually keyframe it. it shows the little diamonds but it just stays where i move it last. and if i use the transform tab and try to keyframe the position, it will move but it stops making the smoke and what it has made just stick to the origin.
    PLEASE HELP
  • Look in the software forum. There is a discussion of the missle smoke in two different topics posted. They cover a lot in there.
  • NFP Productions - I've moved your post into this thread which already is discussing missile smoke. I think you will find the exact solution to your problem already here, as the initial post was related to the same scenario you describe. If you do need further help, let us know.
  • edited July 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99m686tzeeI
    Hope this helps people using the Missile Smoke. :)
  • That's a fantastic tutorial, Josh! Great work putting that together.
  • Thanks. The video tutorial really helped

Sign in to comment