Can I work with HitFilm on a high-end laptop?

Hi -
I am going to need to upgrade my system to get HitFilm up and running - trouble being the fact that I much prefer using my lap top, rather than a desk-top system (small-house issues).
Are any of the high-end gaming lap-tops up to the task, running something like a GeForce GT 555m graphics chip, or am I doomed to sitting in the corner with a desk-top item for the rest of my days...
Thanks for any advice,
DT.

Comments

• Have you looked at the system requirements?
    HitFilm system requirements
    They recommend a AMD Radeon HD 4600. There are plenty of <$500 laptops that have an AMD Radeon HD 6310.
    Why not download the demo and see how it works with what you have? If it doesn't, look at the system requirements and see if you could upgrade what you have to work with it.
  • I'm already running HitFilm on a Laptop (not really high-end, rather something middle class), as this is the only computer I have - it's not mindblowing fast, but you can work with it. As Bob said, download the demo and try it. :)
  • My Dell Studio 1555 with windows 7 has able to run Hitfilm.
    It has an Ati Mobility Radeon HD 4500 series graph card with 512mb memory.
    At first it crashed because of the quicktime server or what (forgot to take a screenshot).
    I had to reinstall the quicktime player, but it's works fine now.
    As a matter of facts it is slow for real time editing, but it's ok for this laptop i guess ;)
  • Thanks for the positive input, guys! :-)
    I'm only on a Inspiron 1545 so it won't run HitFilm but it's going straight on Ebay so I can get something better suited!
  • HitFilm can run very well on a laptop - we have a powerhouse laptop here for doing our demonstrations and testing.
    When it comes to performance and build quality its hard to beat the ASUS G74SX - I love this machine!
    http://usa.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G74SX/
    [img]http://usa.asus.com/websites/us/products/LUFmeP8fwFruEdH7/P_500.jpg[/img]
  • What a lovely machine but my pockets aren't that deep *sob* :mellow:
    My lack of graphics-card knowledge is really showing me up now as well - really don't want to buy a new lap-top only for it not to be up to spec...
  • If you spot a laptop you like the look of, make sure you post the link in here and we'll check it out for you.
  • I think I'll go for a simple Dell Studio 1555 like C.R. Messen is on. It needs to perform as my everyday lap-top as well as my film work (which is only a hobby, sad-to-say) so slow it may be but should suit me fine. They come with a dual-core processor, plenty of Ram and a Radeon HD 4570 (?) graphics card so my little projects should be now problem....

• I think I'll go for a simple Dell Studio 1555 like C.R. Messen is on. It needs to perform as my everyday lap-top as well as my film work (which is only a hobby, sad-to-say) so slow it may be but should suit me fine. They come with a dual-core processor, plenty of Ram and a Radeon HD 4570 (?) graphics card so my little projects should be now problem....

I hope you enjoy slideshows ;)
  • [quote]I hope you enjoy slideshows ;)[/quote]
    Hahahaha - LOL - I'm used to it from running VisionLab on my old lap-top! 8-|

• Hahahaha - LOL - I'm used to it from running VisionLab on my old lap-top! 8-|

Yeah, the problem is that HitFilm until now doesn't have a RAM preview, so you are unable to view your result until you render it.
  • edited July 2011
    [quote]Yeah, the problem is that HitFilm until now doesn't have a RAM preview, so you are unable to view your result until you render it.[/quote]
    Maybe something for the next release, then? ;)
  • Yes, it is a feature that will be implemented in a future update. Future optimization should also help, as it will greatly increase the accuracy of the real-time playback, reducing the need for using a RAM preview.
  • edited July 2011
    @Joshua Davies or Simon Jones: I have a brand new 17" Mac Book Pro spec'd at 2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, 8GB 1333MHz, 500GB 7200-rpm with both Intel HD Graphics 3000 and a dedicated AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5 RAM. So, if I install Boot Camp, and Windows 7 Ultimate, theoretically, this MBP would be sufficient to run HitFilm smoothly, right? Would like to know, before I do the partition thing for Boot Camp and load Windows.
    Thanks in advance.
    BTW - My workflow is HD-1920X1080, usually shot on a Canon DSLR or a Sony EX-1.

Sign in to comment