Link 2
Link 3
$16K *whistles*
EDIT: And a concept 4K DSLR
EDIT: Some footage can be found by Vincent LaForet
http://vimeo.com/30215350
http://vimeo.com/31526888

Comments

• That camera looks pretty incredible. I don't know much about the camera market but I imagine something as versatile as that would be worth the money
  • edited November 2011
    We'll see - Red's Scarlet should be announced in a couple of hours so it should be interesting to see.
  • edited November 2011
    Bloggers are digging the RED a whole lot more than the Canon, it seems. But as someone who likes to mix in a lot of field shooting, the Canon is looking a bit more attractive in form factor, affordability, and apparently color reproduction. Built in ND filter, simple body, works nicely out of the box with HDSLR rigs, great resolution, none of the old HDSLR flaws, XLR-in. Totally sexy. Been looking forward to this day.
    The value of the Scarlet is unbelievable, but this looks more appealing to me as far as I can tell. These are the cameras low budget filmmakers have really been waiting for. One day the price of these will be affordable to pretty much anyone who enjoys making videos and movies, which is a crazy development in independent shooting.
    Time to put myself in debt (soon). Will be ogling in the mean time.
  • I agree Serpent, this seems like the thing people have been pining for. It's going to be a tough competition between this and the Scarlet for sure. Both cameras look amazing, and I would definitely want to get my hands on each of them before deciding one way or the other.
    Just last year it seemed that 4k was out of reach for many budget filmmakers, and now it's going to be almost commonplace. Crazy times, gents.
  • edited November 2011
    I'm a little confused. Maybe someone can clear this up, this camera's sensor can record up to 4k resolution right? But it only creates 1080p video? That's what I gathered from reading the first article. If this is true, why did they dumb it down so much?
  • What do you mean "dumb it down"? I don't think 1080p is going anywhere as a standard, and the 4k chip resolution will just mean sharper, more detailed images with less aliasing and artifacts. It's taking more advantage of the size of the chip, whereas the current DSLRs are only using a portion of the chip for video. At least, that's how I understand it.
  • First let me say that I don't understand cameras at all... Now when I say dumb it down I mean if the chip is capably of 4k resolution why not give the camera the capability to film at 4k?
  • edited November 2011
    The red scarlet completely out does this In my mind. If this is supposed to be a red killer, the spec is not good enough . Especially for that price. This is a bit of a bummer for me.
  • edited November 2011
    Did Canon call this a RED killer? Genuinely curious here. If they did, I'd be surprised, doesn't sound like something a Japanese company would pull. It's not really "supposed" to be anything but their new camera. Obviously they are competing against the Scarlet, but it's a different beast that I'm sure will be fit for many shooters. Sharp 1080p video shot on quality glass is going to look really good, even on a 4k projector. You'll also probably have to spend a bit to handle editing 4k "raw" if you want to work efficiently, and even much more-so if you plan on compositing or doing other fun stuff with 4k. Me, I like working from home, and it needs to be efficient. However, the RED does look like a better cinema camera with that output. It future-proofs it. But I don't even know how much something like that would cost right now or if it would be worth it. It would be a completely new workflow for me, and I'd need to make it field-ready. If anyone has a better idea of how these workflows work, what you need, and what they cost, let us know. To me though, the Scarlet even looks a bit clunky, but the modularity and output make it perfect for movie makers.
    Either way, I'm for sure going to be handling both cameras and doing a LOT of research before dropping nearly 20 grand or more. And if it looks like the RED is a better fit, then I'll probably roll with that. I'm looking forward to early user tests.

@Matthias: It shoots in 1080p in the 3 color channels, which gives it accurate color reproduction. If you add that up, it's less than 4k, but technically considered 4k. I don't know how the technicalities of this work or how they can call it that, but basically, Canon is using it for marketing. It isn't true 4k.
    [img]http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/11/c300gallerykeynote29-1320365387.jpg[/img]
    I wish they did release a 4k camera, that would have been amazing. But It's sad to see people *complaining* about this on blogs, when 6 years ago you had to drop $10,000 on a nice Canon XL2 setup, it was considered an Indy cinema camera, and it only shot 480p 3CCD footage, and had many limitations. Look at the form factor of this thing! The Scarlet is a much bigger value advancement in the field, but the Canon is also really awesome.
    [img]http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/11/c300gallerykeynote11.jpg[/img]
    Look at the smile on that man's face.
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/03/canon-launches-c300-cinema-camera-prepares-to-take-on-red-scarl/ vs the RED:
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/03/red-makes-the-scarlet-dsmc-official-5k-stills-and-4k-video-for/
    Call me a Canon fanboy, but I'm much more interested in versatility on a small budget.
  • Hey Serpent! Thanks for the information there. I have a slightly better idea now, although I don't know that I fully understand it. It'll be a long time before I could ever justify spending over $1000 just on a camera anyway, so I don't really have anything to worry about.
  • edited November 2011
    I hardly understand it either, it's tricky what they're saying. I don't know why they announced it like that. Also, unless they are being misleading about this one too, they've announced an HDSLR that shoots 4k 24 frame-jpeg footage, which would be crazy if it's as good as it sounds. That would eliminate rolling shutter and video compression issues.
    http://www.eoshd.com/content/5147/canon-announce-35mm-full-frame-4k-dslr
    (EDIT: ah this is in the first post. I want to know more about this, might be more up my alley for the near-future)
    A dream would be to have an SLR that can shoot photos and 4k video in the field and as a camera B on projects, and a camera like the C300 for serious video. You know a 4k update to the C300 is coming in the next couple of years or so, it's a great business strategy if they manage to stay competitive with these other high-end cameras. I might hold off until then, and watch this new DSLR they've announced. If I read myself saying this 6 years ago, I would of thought it was from 20 years in the future or something. Crazy.
  • edited December 2011
    The red scarlett has the advantages of being customizable to the nth degree but the base price is as Ryan Connolly of film riot said, about $9200.00 for a paper weight. The periperals and add ons needed to get you set up work out to be about $16,000.00 all told. The Canon's asking price is about $20,000 but is expected to go down to about $16,000 once it reaches the open market. Here is Ryan's take on the 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSgE0WYogng&feature=plcp&context=C369ca7bUDOEgsToPDskJfSByo8MZW2WhAkzEyyw1q
  • The Canon C300 has a definite edge over the Canon 5d for filmmakers. 1st no more H264 compression making your shots blurry or to sharply edged. You can wirelesly link the camera to an iphone or ipad and control focus, aperture and colour balance. It also can work in very low light conditions. One film crew used only flashlights to film some scenes. Also has the advantage of saving your shots to 2 memory components instead of one. Looks very good for green screen shots. Red Scarlett is an enticing camera too. Every film maker knows there isn't such a thing as the one perfect camera. Some may choose the dslr route while some will want the to use the Red Scarlet or the Canon C300 combined with other cameras. Interesting to note on Canon's website that the making of episodes for the C300 were made using Canon's XFseries of camcorders and still showing good quality. So it really depends on what you can afford. Certaily wouldn't say no if someone offered to give me a fully equipped Red Scarlet or a C300. 8-|

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment