First Short Film: "Lullaby"

edited October 2011 in Filmmaking
Hi everyone,
after one day of shooting and months of post production (due to a life... ), we finally finished our first short film and our first film shot on DSLRs. We just wanted to experiment with the technology first, and this time, it was about "creating mood with light and sound". Any feedback is highly appreciated...
http://vimeo.com/31103678
Infos: EOS 550D with Magic Lantern / Technicolor Cinestyle and a rented 7D, 18-55mm Kit, 55-250mm Zoom, 100mm Macro, 50mm Prime lenses were used. Rode Stereo Video Mic. 2x 1000W lights. Final Cut Studio 3, Logic Studio 2. Mixed in 5.1, online stereo only.
Best regards,
Christian

Comments

• That was strange! I did laugh when Ryan was "singing the lullaby" to his son. Nice job on the eye/bloody mouth effects, quite reminiscent of Underworld films, and better yet, the Being Human series here in the UK. Two minor criticisms: the sound of the lullaby-scream didn't quite seem to be coming from the male actor at first, not sure if it was a timing issue. Second, the odd halo around the male actor and poster in the lullaby scene was a little jarring, I was speculating on that rather than watching the film.
  • Thanks for your feedback!
    The Scream: Yeah, I feel the same way! When we filmed it, we didn't have the sound yet. I created it in post. From the script and our ideas, we just knew it should sound a bit like the "Body Snatchers" scream and contain elements from the horror movies the guy watches. Maybe I should have uttered a synchronized scream in post and THEN added the other elements around it. At least the breathing and breaks would have been more natural then.
    The halo: Yes, we got that feedback quite often, mainly from filmmakers (normal audiences didn't bother). It's from the sharpening plug-in I used in Final Cut Pro. I had to, because we filmed it with Technicolor Cinestyle and therefore got dull, flat, washed out images. It's something I only read beforehand (we had never used DSLRs before and had to rely on all those tutorials and basics found on the net): Shoot with Cinestyle, and you got all the processing range you want because colors and sharpening are NOT done in camera but in post production. So I color graded every shot and dropped in the sharpening plug-in. Without it, it looked horrible. Did I get the whole thing wrong or was it just overdone in this one scene?
    The laughter: Oooooh, dangerous! ;-) Did you laugh because it was so strange? Because it was so gruesome? Or because it seemed unintentionally funny? The latter would be a disaster of course. But something to learn from nevertheless...
    Best regards,
    Christian
  • I really appreciated your short film ! ;)
    how is the Canon EOS 550D ? ( I wanna buy one )
  • Hi there,
    I like the 550D / T2i very much. A colleague of mine has the 7D and is a very active photographer, not really interested in video stuff. I'm into photography as well and bought it for that purpose AND for re-booting my film making hobby. It's small and lightweight, for photographers it's all but "professional" (not enough buttons, bad for big hands and fingers). But since I'm a beginner and my hands and fingers are small, it's great value for the money for me!
    However, the newer model 600D (T3i) has some additional features that might be great for film making: its display is movable, and I think I heard that the stupid AGC can be turned off (not sure though, might be a rumor). For the latter, I had to install the Magic Lantern firmware hack on my 550D. Something one doesn't do easily...
    Best regards,
    Christian

• Did I get the whole thing wrong or was it just overdone in this one scene?

It was just that scene that I noticed it on.

The laughter: Oooooh, dangerous! ;-) Did you laugh because it was so strange? Because it was so gruesome? Or because it seemed unintentionally funny? The latter would be a disaster of course. But something to learn from nevertheless...

I think a bit of strange, some gruesome?
  • Let me say this first of all. I commend you for working with kids, especially one at that age. After doing at least 5 short films with children , I can massively appreciate that hardship ;). There was some small errors than Daniel G has mentioned, but there really not that a big a deal for me. I quite enjoyed this film. The cinematography and was rather good. The sound design overall was very solid. I thought there were some interesting theme's and ideas in the film, I loved the opening scene.
    Great stuff, I look forward to seeing more of your work.
  • Hi Daniel,
    thanks for your feedback! Indeed, we were pretty much afraid of the shoot. It was planned for one day, the parents of the child allowed us to use their flat AND their daughter AND their nice old school cradle (which I tried to include as much as possible with the heart being in frame or the wooden angels praying while Ryan was screaming and so on).
    The child was a trooper! In the end, we really had ALL the shots we wanted and needed, she's sooooo cute, she never cried, it was all a game for her... The only problem was the cradle scene: She was just about to learn how to stand and walk, and that's what she loved to do, even In the cradle. ;-) So we shot 15 minutes of cradle material, from which about 10 seconds were usable (but only with some slow motion effect on it). Of course we know this could have gone completely wrong, so for a first short film, this was a big risk to take. Unfortunately, every single one of our scripts has such risks. The next one is supposed to be a comedy, but we're no actors, and we never shot action scenes before, so it'll be another strain. But that's what keeps us going... :-)
    Best regards,
    Christian
  • uh, i do not have a clue about what was going on, but there where some cool effects in there!

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment