Practice + tests

I've recently been practicing some motion graphics, and other non-effects based tests.
This video is composed of all 2D layers, edited pictures and various smoke elements. Made in After effects.
http://vimeo.com/31246108
I initially made this back in july, but this is an expanded/improved version, the footage at the end may not make sense but it was taken for this test, with the intention of zooming out of the eye, into a shot that tracked around the girl to reveal another effect in the distance. I couldn't get the final part of the plan to work out as it was difficult for both roto and tracking, I ended up cutting the stuff that didn't work but kept the transition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InuI2QNDIFA
This one was made to test out a slider I bought recently, at the recommendation of Andrew. I'm enjoying the results so far, but my current Tri-pod isn't quite strong enough to hold it in position, so there is a bit of wobble on some shots.
I'd like to hear some feedback on the videos, and rather than make topic after topic i'll just add future tests to this thread.
Thanks.

Comments

• My second slider test video is up now, I rather like this one:
    http://vimeo.com/31421973
    Let me know what you lot think
  • Love that second slider test, very nice. Where did you shoot it?

• Love that second slider test, very nice. Where did you shoot it?

As you're fairly local i'll get specific. The woodland shots were shot in Fritton wood, and the river/fort shots were taken at Burgh Castle, both are situated around 4- 10 miles outside Great Yarmouth.
    I just wish it wasn't so windy when I was shooting the Burgh Castle material, it was causing hell to keep the already struggling tripod upright. I also wish i had packed up about 5 minutes later; as soon as i finished packing my gear away all the Birds flocked together and flew back to their nests in the reeds. It would have been spectacular, but my mate had our zoom lens - i'll have head back to get the shots, and borrow a good tripod.
  • Totally agree with Dan, the second slider test looks great. I need to look more closely at the areas around where I live!
  • Yeah I agree as well. Very cool slider shots there! Nice locations too. Looks great. I couldn't really tell, except maybe a couple shots, that the tripod was having trouble, so nice job on that!
  • edited November 2011
    Is the trouble with the tripod, or with the head? If its a tripod issue, try sandbagging it to stabilize things. If its a head issue, well, then you'll probably need a different one to improve things.
    that being said, the stuff in that second slider video was quite nice. Its amazing how much drama can be added to a shot with just a few inches of movement. I particularly like the shots where the camera is moving forward, rather than laterally, but they are all quite nice.
  • Nice work! the slider tests with the musical instruments was good for the most part, it was a bit reminiscent of the Nevermind the Buzzcocks intro in places, the only thing that let it down was, as you mentioned, some wobbly shots, especially as it passed the guitar strings. But for a test though it looked very beautiful and well shot.
    The other test you did outdoors looked amazing, i'm the opposite to Axel in that i preferred the shots moving left to right and vice versa. The scenes in the woods worked especially well, i also liked the shot moving forwards underneath the railing/gate for some reason :D Beautiful locations by the way.
    Sam

• i'm the opposite to Axel in that i preferred the shots moving left to right and vice versa. ...i also liked the shot moving forwards underneath the railing/gate for some reason

Ha! For some reason...
    Because its awesome!
  • Thanks for all the good words on that second slider video, It's good to try something new and have it work - as for the tripod issue, i was countering the weight by applying force on the opposite side of the slider; I also like those forward motion shots, i wish i had a couple more.
    I've use the woodland in that video for numerous shorts over the years, but always used it as a hostile environment rather than the nice place it actually is, it's really nice to finally film it in a way i've always seen it. I think even run down buildings and the usual town/city architecture has a good visual splendour to them, it's just down to catching the places at the right time of day; I might try a similar video in built up areas.
    Thanks again.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment